Chapter 17 Staff

Muse Silver-Green

Mason and Holbrook moved past the door to Zander's office and found the staff meeting room.

I love staff snacks.

They sat on padded benches that ran the length of the narrow wooden table.

Zander sat next to them, even though there was plenty of room.

The meeting room was decorated with Jake's scribbled drawings, framed in glass. A large interactive screen took up half the wall.

He spoke to Mason. "I dropped off the prisoners. We don't have another scheduled transport for months. But this ship is mostly for emergency pickup and sting operations."

Commander Nickel poured herself a glass of cinnamon tea before discarding the wrappers in the recycling bin.

Mason's mother sat down next to General Allen with five guards.

Commander Nickel squeezed next to Mason. This caused him and Holbrook to sit even closer together, their arms touching. She turned away, trying to hide a small smile with her hair.

Commander Nickel whispered to Mason. "I got your back. Holbrook is single, and I think she is into you. She isn't happy with me right now, but I want her to date one of the greatest men I know, but don't tell anyone I said that."

Mason covered his wrists with the sleeve of his uniform.

I took more notes. Though I wasn't fully sure Holbrook wasn't my assigned creative, so I couldn't ask her if she liked Mason. I thought about turning my full microphone on and asking her. In the end, I decided against it.

"Turn on the film," Lace demanded.

Moving projections flickered on the white screen. They were old interviews starring the Salamander family.

Dina played with her hair. "I have this amazing business opportunity and don't need anything from my mom. She was a lousy mother and grandmother. Mom lived a life of selfishness."

Mason glanced at Dina's neck and paused the video. He spoke in Holbrook's birth father's voice rather poorly. "She is wearing heavy theater cosmetics and possibly has something to hide."

"We don't need Mason to voice since Tolbert escaped, but we do need him to save Kay Salamander Poe's children from Deb," General Kitten Allen said. "She's running scared."

Agent Lace stood up and patted Mason's head. "Baby boy, we'll talk later." She walked toward the door. "I tasked the general with packing your clothes, deodorant, and underwear."

"Mom," Mason blurted. He couldn't hide his exasperation.

Zander turned the film off. "You're lucky that you have a mother."

Holbrook clutched Mason's arm and guided him to the shuttle bay. She removed a tiny white and black box out of her pocket, and the device grew until it was a shuttle.

Lights flickered on.

General Allen hugged his daughter and turned to Mason. "Charlotte Shuttleman is a great ship and a better friend. She is alive."

"I've flown in living spaceships before, but Charlotte's name is on the suspect list. Is she the same model that ate Quin Salamander and her daughter?" Mason asked. "Is this how I die?"

"No, I'm unable to digest raw meat, and I won't eat you unless you are made out of salad," the shuttle said through speakers.

Allen grinned at Charlotte. "This is Mason Crawley, the private detective. He's Agent Lace's son."

"I'm not a detective," Mason said.