Adventure 7

"So Summer, now that you're going to be entering your graduating year in school what do you want to be when you enter adulthood?" Jerry asked, trying to engage in his children's lives. 

Summer shrugged her shoulders, "Probably going to be selling weed and shit. Living the life I want to live. I'm a party girl, not made for a 'decent' society."

Jerry raised an eyebrow and sighed. "Summer, your future is important, and it's not something to joke about. Selling drugs is illegal and dangerous. So many other careers you could pursue would allow you to live an exciting and fulfilling life without breaking the law."

Summer rolled her eyes. "Yeah whatever Dad," She groaned. Not wanting to listen to it.

Jerry studied Summer's figure for a moment, then turned to you. "Y/N, you're a year away from graduating. Any ideas on what you want to be?" 

"Jerry, don't be stupid, they're going to be a scientist. They have the natural talent to design anything and everything. Got it from me." Rick said, sounding proud as he crossed his arms with a smirk.

But that wasn't really what YOU wanted. Sure you didn't mind having the ability to make something beyond your wildest dreams. But you wanted to do something involving more action. Such as a spy or even joining the military.

A beeping noise was heard. Beth looked at her watch. "Oh look at that, it's time to go." She said. 

"You guys had somewhere to go?" Rick asked. "Jeez, you guys are getting back into being serious about relationships." He said, thinking Beth and Jerry had more plans together.

"No, Beth and I decided to have family therapy since things are starting to get a little dramatic. So we decided to try it just this once to see how it goes." Jerry explained.

Rick grumbled, "Therapy? Really? I don't need therapy. I'm fine."

Beth gave Rick a stern look. "We all need therapy from time to time, Rick. It's okay to ask for help. We're just, concerned about this family falling apart so we'll try it and see how it goes."

Jerry nodded in agreement. "Exactly, and it'll be good for all of us to work through any issues we may have as a family."

You nodded, feeling apprehensive about therapy but also realizing it was necessary. But maybe this was the opportunity to explain your plans without having Rick overreact, who knows?

So you, Rick, Morty, Summer, Beth and Jerry got into the vehicle. Beth drove while Jerry was in the passenger seat, Summer, Rick and Morty were in the back and you were hanging out in the trunk.

You, Summer and Morty, found ways to entertain yourselves for the car ride as Rick watched. 

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the car came to a stop in front of a large building with the words "Family Therapy Center" emblazoned on the front.

As you got out of the car, you felt a mix of nervousness and excitement. You had never been to therapy before, but you were hopeful that it could help bring your family closer together and resolve some of the issues that had been brewing beneath the surface.

Inside the waiting room, a therapist greeted you and led your family to a comfortable seating area. The therapist then asked each of you to share what issues you wanted to address during the therapy session.

Jerry was the one to address what had only happened recently. Speaking up about his concerns for both you and Summer.

"Summer? How do you feel about your dad wanting you to contribute to society?" The counsellor questioned.

Summer scoffed. "I don't care. As long as I'm in the house I can do what other people want me to do and when I move out I can do whatever the hell I want." She explained.

"So you just want to live your life how you see fit?" The woman questioned. Summer nodded in response. 

"Well what I can suggest, is that you find a hobby that has nothing to do with drugs or intoxication or that could bring harm to yourself or others." the counsellor comments. And then turns to you.

"Now what about you? What do you want to do in your future?" 

That's when Rick jumps into the conversation. "Well, obviously they're going to be a scientist. It's a natural gift they were born with. They aren't going to put it to waste like that." He scoffed. 

You frowned but nodded just to keep things from breaking into an argument. Not that you cared, you could easily put him in his place. It just saved time.

"Why don't we let your grandchild answer? It is their life after all." The professional mentioned. All eyes turned to you.

"Well, I mean, I guess I am pretty good and building things involving science." You mumble. 

"But what do you want to do? Let's put aside the things you are good at, the things you are bad at, the things you were born with, the things you want, and the things you need, and put all of that aside. What do you want to do?" 

You paused as you thought about it. "I wanna... do something to put my skills to the test. Like... I don't know, a mechanic, or maybe even a secret agent or something." You list. 

"Uh-huh... So why did you list those options?" The woman wondered. 

She heard Rick scowel and grumble something, and silenced him. 

You shrugged. "I'm pretty good and building things from scratch. And I've seen a couple of racing movies to be interested in seeing how a car works. As for a secret agent, I tend to get into trouble now and again and most of the time it's really fun. So that, but getting paid for it. Sounds pretty cool." 

The therapist nodded thoughtfully. "It sounds like you have a strong desire to use your skills and abilities in a way that challenges you and brings excitement into your life. Have you considered exploring these career options further and seeing what opportunities are available?"

You nodded, feeling more confident about your plans. Maybe therapy wasn't so bad after all.

As the session continued, each family member was allowed to share their concerns and feelings in a safe and constructive environment. It was a difficult process, but by the end of the session, you all felt closer and more connected than you had in a long time.
Walking out of the therapy center, you felt no different than what you felt before. You knew what you wanted to do and if people don't want to accept that then they can simply not be a part of it. 

And if Rick was going to get in your way, then you may as well argue with him and put him in his place if it gets him to realize you aren't going to follow him like a lost puppy any longer.