Chapter IV | Mr. Tree Gets Hurt

I helped her stand back again, quickly grabbed the hood from the ground and threw it upon her before staggering away from the furious robot giant as our hearts pounded in our chests as if it'll break our ribs and burst out any moment.

Thankfully, the hood helped us from not being heard or easily found again. But suddenly, a cluster of silver metal spider-like robots with slender but pointy six legs and scarlet-red eyes, all varying in size, also started to come toward us.

We paused in our path. The panic and frenzy in our minds rose even more. "Can-Can they see us?" I asked Galena, who stood beside me, her face pale from fear.

She fished out a pair of brown hiking boots from her bag, "Wear it, quick!" she ordered, shoving them in my arms and taking out another pair of the same sort of boots, wearing them and stepping into the air through the smoke, as if there was some sort of invisible staircase.

I wore them and quickly stepped in the air, right before tiny metal spider robots crawled onto the ground where I was standing a few moments before.

I tried walking and catching Galena's speed as she was running fairly fast. It felt weird and I almost tripped a lot of times but, after some more clumsy steps, I was able to run slightly faster, though still at a slower pace than Galena's.

"What are we going to do next?" I asked her.

She took out something from her bag again. This time a jar full of weird brown slime-like liquid and an eyeglass with a round thin lavender colour frame.

"Use this to see through the smoke and find the vexerbud while I try to get some time for you." She said while handing me the eyeglass.

I wore it and the view become less suffocating than before, enabling me to see through the thick purple smoke. Though the view was not the nicest. The green fire covered the whole forest, taking down many trees at an impressive speed.

I needed to find the vexerbud quickly before it got eaten by the hungry and vicious flames.

She again began looking for something in her bag, "Here use this for defending yourself" She fished out a dagger and handed it to me, its silver blade was so sharp and reflective that it even shone in the darkness of midnight.

Galena dropped the slimy liquids from the jar onto the ground as she where the robotic spiders were. Maybe to slow down the fire or something.

I also went on to do my part of the plan, and began looking for the creature midst the dangerous green flames when out of nowhere-

WHOOSH!

-I felt a strange breeze of air swish behind me.

I held my dagger firmly in front of me and turned around.

The sound came from somewhere around the clump of trees that had not been the victim of the terror of the fire yet. I searched the branches of the trees for any signs of the creature before finding him among the darkness of the lanky branches.

I sprinted towards him, trying to catch him, but instead ended up getting my hair stuck into a tree branch as he flew away to a higher branch.

"Grrr..." the vexerbud made a threatening sound, warning me to stay away.

I untangled my hair and sighed from frustration.

How am I supposed to catch him without him flying away or me getting bumped into another tree branch?

When finally, an idea rang into my mind.

"Sorry, Mr. Tree," I said and broke a leafless branch out of the tree near me and started to tap on the tree's trunk using it.