Chapter VI | Sanctuary for Endangered Nature

As soon as we entered the tiny wooden house, we stopped screaming because we were engulfed by the feeling and awe of mesmerization from the aura of the scenery of the mysterious place.

A small lake flowed a few metres underneath us as we flew on our flying carpet. We peeked down below, looking through the semi-clear water. Luminescent green leaves floated on the water's surface, lightening up the entire pitch-dark abyss with its gleam alongside a peculiar gold and silver shimmer creature slithering beneath the water's surface. We gawked as the mystifying creature swam right beneath us.

Toivo took out a cluster of pink neon berries from the jute bag he held and threw it high above the water's surface.

The alluring creature jumped up from the water's surface, revealing itself.

Its upper body was similar to a wolf and a lion, with a fluffy mane of a lion, and a snout and sharp ears like a wolf. The creature had gleamed golden furs and a pair of blue cat like-eyes reminded me of the clear day sky. The other half of its body was similar to that of a fish with glassy silver scales and silver fins that swayed in the air as it jumped like silk. The unknown creature grabbed the cluster of berries by its piercing teeth, and dived back into the deep water, illuminating its surface by its shine once again as it swam through it.

I gasped, "What was that?"

"The Glorious Beast Whale," Toivo replied.

"The Beast Whale? But it has gone extinct for years!" Galena asserted.

"Many creatures have indeed gone extinct from the wild because of the hunt for the precious things that they carry." Toivo agreed, "But, I have carefully preserved many of them in my Sanctuary for Endangered Nature.

The responsibility of the sanctuary was passed on to me by my father, who started and created this portable Sanctuary plus burrow for us to live in, and any other endangered animals or living being found by us to hide from the vicious eyes of the traitor king's army.

My fathers used to say that, humans may betray you even if you serve them for thousands of years but, these innocent beings would never leave your side even after your death. And so, I followed in his footsteps. My father was the one who taught me to take care of these animals, the one with whom I found half of all creatures that I have discovered, the one who taught me to swordfight, and archery, he was always there for me but..." his voice faltered as he swallowed down a lump in his throat,

"He left me without warning-all by myself...just a few weeks ago..." Toivo went quiet, his eyes began trembling and glimmering as he lowered his head and stared down at the carpet, trying his best not to break down as perhaps he recalled all those moments he had spent with his father, that perhaps could never be brought back, I felt him because I knew what it is like to feel the loss of suddenly losing someone whom you least expected to leave your side as you smile, as you cry, as you play.

He cleared his throat and rubbed his eyes, "But my hopes rejoiced when I knew about the prophecy of the sunrise sisters...about Mikellar being once again the joyful kingdom it was before: people having great times and showing kindness and empathy-joking and teasing-and living without fear once again so, I planned that I will become one of the brave fighters who would stay at their sides, just as my father was by mine, and help them to conquer this impossible dreams of many and end the eternal darkness that entered the homes of ours."

"I promise you that I will not disappoint you," I reassured him, hoping to raise his hopes of victory and freedom, and making the suffocating weight of the great responsibility that rested on my shoulder heavier.

Flubber affectionately rubbed his head around Toivo's leg, raising his spirits as he chuckled and patted him. The carpet turned back towards the entrance, and we exited the tiny house.

We turned back into our normal human sizes as the carpet landed back on the living room's wooden floor.

"Where is the vexerbud?" Galena stated, looking around the empty place on the kitchen table, which was occupied by the sleeping vexerbud, a few moments ago.

"Maybe it woke up and flew away somewhere here-" I guessed as we started to search for him.

"Or perhaps it flew back into the wilderness-the place where he belonged." Toivo interrupted as he looked out through the entrance tunnel.

My forehead wrinkled, "What do you mean 'he flew away'?".

"Vexerbuds are wild creatures," He began, "They can't interact with humans like any regular pet creature, it could become harmful to them. So, it is good that he went away and besides, he didn't escape because of shock and fear, but because, he understood the truth and the reality-in animal words, he's growing up-he knew that it would be best for himself and everyone else if he left. Vexerbuds are clever creatures, so don't doubt their decisions, it will be hard but after some painful lessons, he will learn to survive in the wild and protect himself from danger like he should."

We nodded, my heart slightly lightening and getting heavier at the same time in worry of the poor young creature, and I could see the same wrecked expression on the faces of Toivo and Galena too.

Maybe, Toivo is right. He knows about these sorts of animals more than any of us, and he understands the fact that leaving a young, inexperienced, timid creature all alone in the wilderness does not seem like a great idea but the ultimate rules of nature sovereign us all.

"Oh, and we need to start planning out the quest fast because the message of the prophecy of the Sunrise sisters is spreading like wildfire among the people. We must perform our first move before Gregory gets his hand on the boards" Toivo mentioned, beckoning us to sit over on the chairs.

"I guess, the best way to start it all out is by finding the weakness of our rivalry" I suggested, sitting on one of the wooden chairs opposite Toivo and Galena.

Toivo and Galena went quiet as if they had just got eaten by a tsunami of anxious thoughts.

"Uh...I am sorry that wasn't that smart I guess." I stuttered.

"It isn't anything wrong", Toivo sighed, "it's just that...".

"-Nobody knows his weakness" Galena completed.

"Nobody-what? You are kidding, right?" I scoffed in disbelief "He can't be invincible-He must have some sort of weakness-Any?"

"No, we are not joking. I have researched days and nights on him, but I was unable to find any weak points or tactic that could be used again him." Galena affirmed with a disappointed face.

"I once even visited the main city to get more information about him, but I failed to get any information against him and almost got caught by his soldiers. It is true-he is invincible" Toivo stated, darkly.

"Maybe...he has...a fear of something?" I questioned.

"None. He never shows or tells anything about himself or his personal opinions. There are rumours among the people that he is actually an alien robot. But it is all just false" Toivo speculated, "Though, I do doubt that at times as well 'cause whenever you'll see him, it will be impossible to trace even a tiny bit of information about what is going through his mind or even his emotion-he is always emotionless. The thing that we do know about him is his past, and that he was a hardworking and trusted advisor of King Edward but he betrayed him one day, for a reason, which no one has any idea about."

"Was there anything else in the prophecy that gives us a clue about any way we would be able to defeat him?" I asked.

"The sisters will defeat Gregory at the time of sunrise and bring a prideful and joyous morning to the kingdom. That is the only information about how you will be able to defeat them" Galena replied.

I paused got lost in the wandering train of thoughts to think as I tried to find a way to defeat the undefeatable.

There must be at least one weakness he might have, right? How could any possible human be invincible and so emotionless? What is he-Mark Zuckerberg of this world? Then, why isn't his name 'Zukerburger'?

Oh! I forgot-the prophecy and uh sunrise-wait-

"...Sunrise?" I thoughtout loud, "Give me all the information that you have related to the word 'Sunrise'or anything 'Sunrise' in this world"