Chapter XII | "Like the nice old days"

Toivo stepped back before tripping and falling to the ground with a thud. His lips trembled as he shook his head, "No," he murmured, "he-he can't have..."

Cepheus's head snapped toward us and a dark look crossed his face. His eyes trailed off to Toivo and softened in guilt, but he shut his eyes, pressing his head with his hands as if trying to suppress the emotion.

I didn't waste the moment and grabbed Toivo off the ground before dashing away there as fast as we can alongside Galena, daring not to look behind.

Hairs on the back of my neck stood straight up from fear, and my heartbeat thumped louder every minute. It felt worse than being chased by angry chickens or mum with slippers.

"What should we do?" Galena shrieked out of fear.

My right arm started to burn. I quickly lifted my sleeves to look at it and saw the same old red lightning sign burning on my arm.

"Toivo-Galena grab my hand!" I hollered and they cluelessly followed and grabbed my hand as the last choice to survive.

I closed my eyes, and the world seemed to go silent as if being shrunk into a vacuum for a second. I placed my feet back on the ground and we stopped.

"What on earth was that?" Galena nagged, looking around in confusion.

"I will explain later," I said with my hands on my knees as I caught my breath. "Toivo, quick! Where is the exit?"

Galena turned around and a pale blanket of fear fell over her face, "Oh no," she mumbled.

I followed and turned, puzzled and wishing to God it wasn't him again.

"You thought you all could escape me this easily?" Cepheus said in his familiar hoarse voice, climbing off the hoverboard he stood on a few seconds ago.

Toivo stepped in front of us, sharply glaring at him with his jaws and fists clenched, "Why did you do it?" He growled.

A pained look crossed Cepheus's face and his voice cracked "Toivo-"

"I did think this place changed you because of what it has become but...I never doubted your heart," Toivo scoffed, "I defended you whenever they said any wrong about you, I trusted you without hesitation, but I was wrong wasn't I? And now...you have given me no chance.." he took out his sword from his pocket, "Let's finish this off as we did in the nice old days."

Cepheus' eyes once again turned their emotionless colours as he took out his sword from his sheath, "Like the nice old days".

The thundering sound of sword-clashing filled the hallway.

Toivo's eyes were brooding from pain, his arms steady and each blow of his sword on Cepheus clearly showed his anguish and agony. Cepheus's face on the other hand was still as grave and cold as ever, and his attacks were more rational rather than emotional as of Toivo.

CLANG!

The swords once again met furiously, Cepheus shoved his sword a few inches towards Toivo's neck and kicked him off his course.

Toivo fortunately gained his balance but the trouble didn't end there.

Cepheus started to furiously and swiftly attack him, his sword again and again clashing over Toivo's who was constantly stepping backward with each blinding attack, trying his best to defend himself from being stabbed in half.

And before his back reached a few inches away from hitting the wall, a terrifyingly loud yet fortunate call rang the hallways.

Cepheus went fazed for a moment as Flubber almost went to attack him, ducking and stepping away before Galena and I somehow tamed and grabbed the dog away from doing any serious harm as he barked at his elder master furiously.