Chapter X | A Vice-Bowler stuff

A soft gust of wind kissed my cheeks, and a refreshing aroma of irises tickled my nose.

I gasped and opened my eyes, to find lovely spring clouds floating in the blue sky above me as they blew soft gusts of wind across the strange land, with warm playful sun rays escaping through it. I could feel the warm and gritty texture of the earth's soil and crushed irises beneath me.

Where am I?

I bent forward my head and sat up as slight pain pinned me all over my body as I glanced around the valley of Iris around me.

Did I die finally?

There were tall, green and bushy trees around the end of the valley, much more beautiful than the ones at Galena's cave.

Sounds of birds, squirrels, insects buzzing, and leaves shaking from the calm air that was blowing around, echoed across the strange land.

My mind drifted through a hoard of thoughts and questions when suddenly, I heard the familiar chirping noise.

I turned my head and saw the familiar red-yellow bird flying above a sprouting Iris before fleeing to the woods below.

Without a second thought, I followed the swift songbird, flying between the trunks and branches of trees.

I paused and looked at the bird quizzically as it flew in circles in one spot.

"What?" I exclaimed, seeing it turn into a bunch of gold leaves and fall onto the ground.

I took quiet-careful steps toward the strange stash of leaves. I was a foot near it when a wind took them off the ground into the air and flew them away.

My eyes followed them for a moment, watching them fly away before finding something much more intriguing.

In the middle of the crowd of magnificent tall trees stood a small cottage. Its walls were overgrown by leaves. Many flowers, berries and vegetables like carrots and cauliflowers were planted near it in a small kitchen garden. A narrow stream coursed near the garden and a wooden picnic table with pair of benches, on one of which sat a woman.

My eyes squinted and my brows furrowed, feeling like she seemed oddly familiar. Looking as if she was in her early thirties, she had honey-golden hair with dreamy and warm leaf-green eyes. A few strands of wrinkles sprouted near her cheeks and slight freckles covered her neck. She was wearing a white silky gown and a shimmering golden crown was placed on her head.

She must be a Queen or something...

She listened to two squirrels as they seem to fum and complain about each other to her. The one squirrel screeched at the other and the other screeched louder. The first one almost went to attack the other but the woman quickly placed her hand between them.

"Georgie, don't murder your sister," she said in a gentle-sweet voice to the squirrel, reminding me of Galena, "She just stole a nut, that's it."

The squirrels vented to her again as the other squirrel refused to give the nut back.

She sighed looking at the other squirrel in a stern-motherly way, "Bessie," she began, "Give it to Georgie."

The sister squirrel glared at the brother before moodily giving it to him.

The woman sweetly smiled, "Alright, we're good now," she said, petting both the squirrels' heads, "Off you go now and no more stealing nuts!"

She bid the squirrels bye as they both dashed away before sighing and turning her head towards me.

"Did you enjoy exploring this place, young sun?" she asked me, giving a warm ethereal smile like that of a shooting star.

I was so startled and awe-struck by the woman that I forgot how to speak for a moment. I hesitantly walked out from behind the tree I was hiding, "Umm...Yes-yes...It was-amazing" I stuttered.