Chapter V | The First Companion

The boy had pale ivory skin as if it were carved from marble; dark brown eyes that look like drops of honey; and raven black hair as if made from cosmos dust. But he looked far younger than me-perhaps around the age of Galen. He was wearing a green tunic and brown medieval pants, and his eyes were filled with utter anger as he looked at us with his brows furrowed.

I grasped my dagger firmly and pointed it toward him with a shivering hand.

"Put your sword down!" I blurted, trying to sound tough.

"You think your little kitchen knife will defeat my sword?" he taunted.

"Yes! Maybe," I faltered.

"I will do you a favour. Just give me the vexerbud and tell me what you planned to do with it, and I will let you go."

"And why would we answer you?" Galena spoke far more fiercely and bravely than me.

A dazed look crossed his face before turning into an annoyed one, "I am offering you to live!" he replied.

"Still-why would we do that, when we can escape?", Galena snickered.

"And how do you think that would happen?" he boasted.

"Like this!" Galena answered, ducking and punching the boy on his nose and grabbing the dagger from my hand in a blink of an eye.

I backed away in stupefaction, the boy exclaiming out of pain. He glared at her, anger burning in his eyes.

He swung his sword towards her, and Galena effortlessly blocked the blow. But the boy kept attacking, throwing blow after blow each one swift and strong, making it slightly tougher for her to manage. She kept blocking it sharply with the dagger but each new clash threw her one step back.

The boy finally raised his sword in the air, ready to aim the strongest of all strikes, gripping his sword firmly with both of his hands and aimed it toward her with all his might.

"Extranscer!" Galena chanted as she swung her dagger in the air. The dagger expanded and turned into a sword, which clashed with the boy's sword with a loud clang and threw it out of his hand leaving his mouth hung open from astonishment.

Galena raised her sword a few inches away from the, "Now, tell me...Who are you?".

He gazed at her with a quizzical and awe-struck look, "It can't be," he whispered before lowering his head. "Please forgive me, your highness, for my scornful behaviour. I was unaware."

Galena tilted her head in perplexity, pausing and thinking for a moment. And so was I confused by the weird and unexpected reply.

"Kyrah," she called, "Could you please pass me his sword?"

I quickly darted towards the sword that lay on the dry-solid ground, grabbed and handed it to her. She started examining the sword's blade, and I realized something was written on it.

The House of Rospher.

Hope. Determination. Kindness.

The Faithful Soldiers of Mikellar.

Galena's expression softened, she removed her sword away from him and handed him his sword "Rise our faithful soldier, you indeed are no enemy of ours"

"Who is he?" I questioned her.

"A soldier who has not lost his hope even after the hardest of times" She replied, smiling warmly as she gave him a hand to help him stand back up.

"Thank you, princess." The boy said, still looking at her with complete awe.

"Oh, please don't call me that! My name is Galena, that's what you're going to call me, and yours?" Galena asked.