3|Colic

The car approached the gates to our house. For some reason, Wilson parked the car in front of the house. I took Abigail out of her carrier and walked to the door. Suddenly Sophia appeared out of nowhere.

"Oh my goodness! Look at that adorable thing! She is so tiny! Sophia exclaimed, "My goodness! She's so fair!".

"She is small. And light, yes." I nodded

"She doesn't cry very much does she?" Sophia poked.

"No, she just sleeps."

Sophia's smile faded a bit and she bit her bottom lip.

"Get ready for colic." She said as she wandered away.

She was right. Abigail was going to be a crybaby and develop colic, even though she is a perfectly healthy baby. I opened the door to find Bentley sitting and waving her tail and Lucia right next to her.

"Hello, Bentley!" I said.

"Gimmie Gimmie!"

"I want the baby! I'll show her my horse." Lucia exclaimed.

I handed Abigail to Lucia.

"Please be careful Lucia, she's quite fragile."

"I will!"

I picked Bentley up and walked to the nursery. It was finally time to see how much damage my interior designer husband and equestrian daughter had done to Abigail's room. To my surprise, it was just right! The wallpaper was gorgeous, everything was stunning.

"Do you like it?" Wilson asked. Of course, he had to startle me. He pointed at the wallpaper while the books rested in the other hand.

"Goodness Wilson! You scared me!"

"Oh. Do you like it?"

"Yes! It's perfect."

"Good, the wallpaper was confusing. It was a different adhesive."

"That's different," I said

"Where's Abigail?"

"With Lucia."

"I'll go get them," Wilson said as he walked away.

Later Wilson came back with Lucia and Abigail. Abigail opened her eyes until Wilson set her in the crib.

"Stage one of colic,"

"Maybe she won't get colic," Wilson mumbled. I ignored it.

"She needs a nickname," I explained.

"Abby!" Wilson and Lucia shouted.

"No, it needs to be more profound."

"Bye."

"Where are you heading, Wilson?"

"No, her nickname should be Bye."

"Oh! That works!"

"It's just odd. Bye? Elaborate more on it."

"Well I'm Sorry, you are Hi, and Abigail can be Bye." I looked at Wilson like he had just ranted in another language.

"Abby it is!" He said as we walked away.

I wasn't sure about leaving her in the nursery. I needed to cook dinner. I picked Abby up. She pouted slightly. I walked into the kitchen. I gave scrunched-up Abigail to Wilson.

"Here, since you are just sitting and reading."

"I just sat down."

"Well hold her while sitting down. I need to cook dinner."

"Okay?"

I walked to the kitchen and took out vegetables, chicken, and rice. I washed the rice and chopped the vegetables. While cutting the vegetables I cut my finger.

"DAMN IT!"

"Watch it- Abigail is in the room"

"What about me!?" Lucia mumbled.

"I CUT MY FINGER."

"Okay well, I'll get a bandage. No need to swear."

Wilson took Abigail to the nursery and returned with a bandage. I took it and wrapped it around my finger.

"I will order something," I mumbled.

"Okay?"

I walked to the front door to get some fresh air. When I opened the door I saw Sophia walking over with a gift basket. I must admit I was shocked.

"Sophia you didn't?" She cut me off.

"Uhm, yes I did. Everything you need to treat colic."

"What?" I asked.

"Where is she?" Sophia asked as she walked in. I looked at Wilson with a "What do we do?" look.

"Wow, I never noticed how big it is here! Where is she again?"

"Sleeping," I said while pointing to her nursery.

"Oh, wake her up!"

We walked together to the nursery and peered over the crib wall. I whispered "Abby". She slowly woke up, widened her eyes greatly, and looked around. She turned red and cried.

"GOODNESS NO!" Wilson yelled.

"SHUT UP WILSON! GOSH!"

Then it happened, stage two of colic. The crying. She screamed and kicked. She threw her hands around into a fist. I had no clue what to do. She just got louder and louder. Abigail rolled into a ball and rolled onto her stomach.

"UGH!" I yelled.

WHAT DO WE DO?" Wilson added.

"I DON'T KNOW THIS DIDN'T HAPPEN WITH LUCIA!"

"Everyone calm down, we just need some white noise, which is exactly what my gift is!" Sophia said in a nonchalant tone.

"She's not even old enough to have colic, she is just a crybaby. Who will get colic of course?" Sophia added while getting the noise maker.

Over that time Abigail was loud enough to shatter the windows I feared she would. "ABIGAIL SELF-CONTROL!"

"SHE IS ONLY 2 DAYS OLD. WHAT DO YOU MEAN SELF-CONTROL?" Wilson snapped.