Chapter 9 | Raine Sofia

(Or Sophia)

"Lucia! Quit that!" I yelled.

"What?"

"Dogs can't eat grapes!"

'Pfft, she's fine." She smiled as she gave Bentley another grape.

"LUCIA!" I yelled. "STOP IT!".

"Why?"

"Because I said so." Wilson and Lucia both stopped and looked at me with wide eyes. I had never raised my voice like that before. I could feel my body hotter with anger. Wilson got up from the table and walked over to me.

"Kendall, it's okay," he said, placing his hand on my shoulder.

"Lucia, I think you should listen to Kendall." Lucia sighed and put the grapes back on the plate. "Sorry," she muttered. I glared at Wilson before turning to Lucia.

"You are not to feed my dog things from the table. "Understood?" I responded. She nodded her head. "Let's finish our lunch." Lucia smiled and nodded. We finished our lunch with barely any conversation, but I could feel the tension in the air. After we were done, Wilson took Abigail to the living room and sat with her on his knee. I cleared the table while Lucia walked away to her bedroom. I walked over to the living room and looked at Wilson then plopped on the couch.

"I want to go to bed," I mumbled.

"But it's 6." He replied.

"Yes, and you just had lunch. It's been a long day. Quinn and everything." He sighed and nodded. "Alright." We got up and took Abigail upstairs to her room. I smiled and put a small blanket next to her. Wilson and I both kissed Abigail on the forehead and I followed Wilson out of the room. As soon as we were out, I turned and glared at him. I stared at him for a moment before turning away and walking towards our bedroom. We both got ready for bed and climbed into bed. I lay there for a few minutes in silence before finally breaking the silence. I rolled over and looked at Wilson who was lying there with his eyes closed. I turned back over and sighed and said, "God, I'm so exhausted." Wilson opened his eyes and replied, "Me too," before rolling over and wrapping his arm around me. We lay there in silence for a few minutes before Wilson finally said, "It's been a long day. Let's get some sleep." I nodded and closed my eyes, eventually falling asleep.

The next morning, I awoke to Abigail's laughter from the living room. I rolled out of bed and stumbled downstairs to see Wilson playing with her on the floor. Lucia was sitting on the couch, watching with a faint smile on her face. I walked over and plopped down beside her, rubbing my eyes. Wilson glanced over at me and smiled before getting up to make breakfast. Lucia and I watched silently as Wilson bustled around the kitchen, making pancakes and eggs. Eventually, he finished and set a plate down in front of each of us. We all ate, the occasional sound of Abigail's laughter filling the air.

"What is so funny?" I laughed. I glimpsed Lucia.

"Qué pasa mi amor?"

"No quiero que venga la abuela. ¿Qué pasa si mi español no es lo suficientemente bueno?"

"I'm sure she will see that your Spanish is improving."

"Sure," she mumbled.

"Okay so...What time is the almighty 'SRA Sofia' getting here?" Wilson asked.

"Raine should be here soon," I replied. Wilson and Lucia looked at me with shock on their faces.

"What did you call her?" Wilson questions. "Raine," I said again, unsure why they were so surprised. Wilson and Lucia exchanged a look, but didn't say anything. I could tell there was something they weren't telling me.

"What?"

"You call your mother by her first name?" I was taken aback by their reaction. "Yes, I do," I replied. "It's not a big deal. Besides, she wouldn't know it." Wilson and Lucia exchanged another look before Lucia smiled and said, "That's really cool, Kendall. I'm sure Abuela doesn't mind that you refer to her as Raine."

"You can't call me by my first name Lucia." I snapped.

"What?"

At that moment, the doorbell rang. "Oh great, she's here," I muttered, answering the door. I opened the door to find my mother standing there with a smile on her face. She wore a tight black dress and a wide hat to match. Her hair was tied back in an elegant bun.

"Hola, mi amor," she said as she stepped inside. I hugged her and said, "Hola, Raine." I glanced over to see Wilson and Lucia flinching at the sound of me calling my mother by her first name. "What's wrong?" Raine asked, looking between us. "Nothing," Lucia answered, trying to cover up the awkward moment. "Kendall filled us in on your nickname." Raine smiled and responded, "Ah, yes. I didn't know she called me that." Then she shot me an evil glance, "mama, I-" she laughed and added, "me ocuparé de ti más tarde." With a smile.

"volaste en eso?" I asked

"Sí Sí. Es estilo, un detalle muy clave para la vida!"

"Oh," I mumbled.

"Lucía donde esta la bebe?"

"She is-" Raine stopped her.

"Zip it! Spanish por favor!"

"Abby está arriba. Mamá te llevará con ella."

"Ah! mucho mejor!" She smiled.

"Take me to her Kendall Loraine." She ordered. I sighed and walked up the stairs to the nursery. Raine followed suit. I opened the nursery door, and Abby was not in her crib. I stepped aside to let Raine in, but she stopped me. "Kendall Loraine," she said, her voice stern. "What did I tell you about calling me Raine?" I sighed and answered, "Sorry mamá, I forgot." She shook her head and said, "Well, don't forget again. I'm still your mother, and it's disrespectful to call me by my first name." I nodded and said, "Yes, mamá. I'm sorry." She smiled and replied, "It's alright mi amor, just remember next time." She walked into the nursery and looked shocked.

"Where is Abigail?"

"Downstairs."

"So why are we up here?"

"I do not know." We walked back down the stairs to Wilson holding Abigail. Abigail was quiet, seemingly lost in thought. Wilson looked at us and said, "She's right here." Raine was shocked in awe as she scooped Abigail and glanced at her enormous amount of luggage. Wilson sighed and took it to the guest room. Raine put Abby down and turned to me.

"Kendall Loraine, are you planning to change or what? At least put on some undergarments." She asked exasperatedly. I looked down at myself, still wearing my pajamas.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," I said, rolling my eyes. I walked towards my room, muttering curse words under my breath. I heard Raine's voice from the kitchen.

"You think you can talk to your mother like that?" She called out. I spun around and said, "Mamá, you don't understand how difficult it is for me to get up in the morning! I'm exhausted!" I had been up late the night before, it took me hours to fall asleep." Raine shook her head. "No, Kendall Loraine. You made the choice to stay up late, and you can't make excuses now. Now please change, and I'll be here." I grumbled and shuffled off to my room. I changed into a polo dress.

"Are you intending to change?"

"Yes, but I'm going to nap first!" She replied. Wilson and Lucia returned from the guest room. Raine handed Abigail to Lucia.

"Why don't you show her your horse...again?" Wilson suggested to Lucia.

"Yeah!" Lucia cheered, then took Abigail to the stables. Once she departed, we walked over to the living room sofa. I sat and Wilson stood behind me. I looked out of the window emotionless. Watching Lucia explain horse riding to Abigail. I laughed at the scene. Wilson watched me, smiling, and then put his hands on my shoulders. We both stayed there, looking at Lucia and Abigail, until they returned.