Lillie Joe

Lillie Joe's POV

"Lillie Joe?" A teary-eyed Billie Joe asked, "Is that- is that you?"

I hesitated, "How do you know my name?"

"The same way you know that song," Billie Joe cried, "you're my daughter, Lillie."

"That's... that's impossible! My parents are-"

"The people who took you from me!"

"What are you talking about?"

"Lillie Joe, I-"

"Billie and Lillie Joe, where are you?" A voice called.

I turned around to see Mike, Tré, Matthew, and Luna. Billie and I waved them over to us. Mike and Tré's smiles grew, while Matthew and Luna sent me a worried and sad expressions and then ran over to me.

"Lillie, we were looking for you everywhere! Why are you crying?" Matthew asked me.

"Lillie, are you alright?" Luna asked.

I looked at Billie, Mike, and Tré, then looked back at Matthew and Luna.

"I'm fine, guys," I answered.

"Are you sure?" asked Matthew, "Do you want to go back to the party?"

I looked at Billie Joe for an answer, "Uh-"

"Actually, if it's alright with you guys," he started, "I desperately need to speak to Lillie Joe."

My friends looked at me for reassurance and I nodded and told them to go back to the party. Mike, Tré, and my friends left Billie Joe, and me alone.

"Is there another place we could go and not be distracted by kids?" He asked.

"We could go to the football field if you want?" I offered and he nodded and smiled.

We walked to the back of the school in silence. I led Billie Joe to where the field was and he admired the artwork on our school walls. Making it to the doors leading us to the field, Billie politely opened the door for me and let me exit the school first. I thanked him and he followed me to sit on the bleachers. He sat next to me, but instead of saying what he wanted to say, he looked up at the stars.

"You used to love going on midnight picnics with me," He reminisced with tears in his eyes, "It used to be just the two of us. Before we left for our little date, we always made food. We made sandwiches and packed chips and cookies. I would buy you sparking water and whenever you drank it, you would scrunch your little face up. That always made me laugh. When we were full, we would lay on our backs and count the stars. Well, I would count the stars. You would make little shapes out of it. It was nice and peaceful. We would go every Saturday and stay out for hours. Your mom would always be waiting for us to come back home, even if it was 3 am. One time, we stayed so late that we could watch the sunrise. Adrienne was so worried. She didn't want us to think she was mad, even though she was, she wanted us to be happy with our daddy-daughter time. You always waited to fall asleep until you either got in the car or when you were tucked into your bed. It was so cute. You didn't want to miss a single moment with me."

"Adrienne's your wife, right?" I asked.

"Yeah," he answered, "She's not only my wife. She's your mother, too."

"W-what?"

"I remember the day you were born," Billie said, letting a few tears fall from his eyes, "Your big brother, Joey, accidentally woke you up from your peaceful sleep, and you were," he stuttered, "scream-screaming, screaming bloody murder. Mike and Tré took him out of the room, while Adi went into another room to get changed. I was still sitting with you crying in my arms, and I didn't know what to do, so I sang. When I sang that song, you immediately stopped crying. I sang you that song every single day of your life. I'm so happy you still remember it."