Date with Ash-Lynn; Fighting with Luna

Lillie Joe's POV

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"Are you ready to go?" Ash-Lynn asked me as I put my things in my locker.

I was about to ask what she was asking what I was ready for, then I quickly remembered we were supposed to be going to a diner, "For what- oh! I completely forgot! Let me just text whoever is coming to get me and tell them I'm going out."

Ash-Lynn smiled, "Take your time."

I quickly sent a text to Mom and Dad telling them that I was going out with a friend, and they approved of it.

"Alright, I'm ready!" I smiled as she grabbed my hand.

"So there's this coffee shop that's around the block from here," Ash-Lynn told me as she led me to the coffee shop.

Ash-Lynn and I walked to the coffee shop, hand in hand, giggling and talking. The walk made me notice some things about Ash-Lynn that I'd never noticed before. I never noticed the highlights at the end of her dark brown hair. I never noticed she had barely noticeable freckles on her face. I never noticed her dimples or the brown swirl in her green eyes. I learned her sense of humor. She learned I'm not gay, that I'm bi. I learned she has 2 older brothers and only a dad. I haven't told her about my mom.

Arriving at the coffee shop, she paid for our orders, and we went to sit at a booth near the window after getting our food and drinks. We were silent for a moment until she spoke up.

"I never heard you yell like that before," she admitted, leaving me confused.

"Yell like what?"

"When I called Luna a faggot. I didn't think that you cared that much about her."

"Well, yeah, I care about Luna. She's my friend. But that's not the only reason i yelled at you."

"What's the other reason? Is it because I said it in front of all those people and made a scene?"

"No, it's because when you said that... I felt hurt, too. It's because I know that I am one too, and I felt called out."

Ash-Lynn gave a genuinely sympathetic look and reached across the table to grab my hand, "Lillie Joe, I'm so sorry. I was just jealous of how close you and Luna were. I didn't mean it when I called her that word. I just... I don't know..."

"Ash-Lynn, there's nothing to be jealous of! I don't like Luna like that. I like you. Luna is just one of my friends."

"Well, since we both like each other-"

"Lillie Joe?" A voice called out.

That voice is one I can only recognize as Luna. I turned around and saw her standing there. Bookbag in hand like she just left the school. She had the most heartbroken look on her face and I immediately felt guilty after remembering what her parents told me. Luna likes me and this is not the way I intended on telling her that I didn't like her that way.

I wanted to do it in a way where it wouldn't be awkward like how it is for her and Matthew. But, she just caught me with a girl who hated her. A girl who bullied her and called her horrible names. It's like I lost all of her trust. I didn't want to lose her.

"Luna, I-" I couldn't even finish my sentence, because she stormed out of the coffee shop.

I apologized to Ash-Lynn for leaving abruptly, then followed after Luna. I called her name multiple times, trying to get her to stop walking. She didn't until she got sick of hearing her name repeated by the person she hated most in this world. Me.

I felt like I was in some horrible romance movie and I was at the break-up part. The sky was white because of the clouds that covered it. It started raining lightly, getting our clothes and hair wet. We stared into each other's eyes for a moment, unsure of what to say. Then she finally spoke up.