Chapter 20: Trouble

How long has it been since she and Randy left their home? She missed their small talks in the morning while enjoying a latte from the tattered coffee maker. The cheapest coffee beans she personally chose on the bargain section at the supermarket. Yet they never complained. Life was simple then, their humble abode flourishing every single day from banters and little pranks she, and Randy make everyday. If only Randy wasn't a Mobsters' son.

Just because of a thinning line of dangerous people, Randy was dragged to a worldly ludicrous lifestyle, surrounded with four transparent walls at the penthouse located at the top floor of a building in the eye of the city. Kris' eyebrows almost met catching a glance at Randy's usually clean hands adorned with thick jewelries, his t-shirt clad lanky form now adorned by a velvet armani. Randy is slowly being taken away by the stream of a ridiculous reality and Kris is afraid he might succumb to this god forsaken life.

"Kris, you haven't touched your food." Kris' perusal transferred back to worrying eyes. She was able to convince Randy a taste of the reality that she wanted for both of them. If only these people weren't staring at them like they were a pair of peculiar. Who can blame them when Randy insisted on wearing these clothes like they're about to go waltz on the dance floor. Although her red dress fitted her like a second skin.

Kris snapped back from her unfortunate reimagination of what's trending in her life lately and sighed, "This was a bad idea."

"Oh no." Randy kiddingly smiled and took a big bite from his big mac.

The fast food is packed at this hour and Kristina is starting to feel uncomfortable, "Shut up."

Randy grinned and reached for her hand, "This is fine. The only wrong thing we did was leaving the district without notice."

Kristina groaned, "That again? What's so important about that ceremony anyway. You already claimed the "throne"".

"I heard Mr. Clancy telling me Lauren and the other heads will be there." Mr. Clancy was another bulky guy always tailing Randy.

"Tell me, how did we escape them again?" Kristina said that made Randy chuckle.

"The elevator that I found at the back of the penthouse is apparently the perfect exit plan." Randy wiped his hands with a napkin before picking his fries.

"I must say, I missed doing this with you Randy."

"My hungry tummy approves of your words..." Randy appeared to be distracted and strayed his eyes through the transparent walls behind her.

Kristina caught on quickly and followed his gaze. The mall has a huge hallway that has a hollow cylinder shaped backdrop in the middle of the building with only the thick railings separating the peddling shoppers from falling to their deaths. Visiting the mall, hopping from one stall to another and window shopping is not new to Kristina and Randy. What's noticeable from all those times were the credit cards that Randy  used to buy the expensive things the bags at their feet had now, their formal attire that agreeably stands out from these crowds and the tall man in a leather jacket standing not far from them  holding a high-powered rifle.

Everything went down quickly as a sheer thunder rang, hurting their ears. The adrenaline instinctively made them ram their bodies on the cold floor. Kristina felt Randy crawling to her side trying to shield her from the rocketing debris. She found herself shrieking from the unbearable sound that's about to pop her eardrum but what surprised her was herself, reaching for her purse and taking out her glock from its holster. She realized Randy was holding his gun as well and his eyes seemed wild like he knew this will happen. Kris sanked, he's definitely changed. The usually shy boy she once befriended in the orphanage. The calm teenager she adopted years ago had now grown into a cunning man.