Chapter 31: Temper

3RD PERSON POV:

In a panic, Y/N awakes to see that she has returned to a familiar dream.

The ex-assassin looks down at a lake set in front of her as her reflection shows a small child with a red dress and black horns.

Y/N(t): Haven't been in this dream for awhile. Did I fall asleep while I was out with Papa?

An instinctive desire sets her attention on the end of the lake, where the horned woman in the black dress awaits her arrival.

Y/N stares at the woman and steps onto the lake as she is surprisingly able to walk on water.

The horned child continues to walk on the body of water without a care.

Y/N makes it over to the woman as the two proceed to embrace.

Y/N(t): This sense of warmth never fades. Can I hear her voice this time?

She looks up at the woman in anticipation to hear her voice but no sound can be heard at all.

Y/N(t): Not this time either.

The woman continues to speak as Y/N tries her best to listen.

Y/N(t): Maybe I should learn how to read lips.

Her attention shifts as the woman looks ahead with a mixed expression of happiness and worry.

Y/N(t): This is the first time I've seen her like this.

She looks forward as her eyes widen in shock.

The surprise is revealed to be Subaru, who stands before them with a smile.

Y/N(t): Papa?

Subaru: I'm sorry. She isn't quite ready yet.

He drops down on one knee and motions for Y/N to come to him.

Subaru: Ready to come back, my Akame?

Y/N looks back up at the horned woman, who nods at her in confirmation.

With some hesitation, Y/N runs up and goes into an embrace with her father as the dream ends.

Back in the real world, the ex-assassin wakes up as she is met with the same warm smile of her father.

Y/N: Papa?

Papa: Welcome back.

She proceeds to get up from the lap pillow given by Katsune and pats the fox spirit on the head.

Katsune: You need to be more careful  Master.

Y/N: Sorry. I didn't think I was that tired.

Subaru: The fault lies with me. I came over to visit too early.

Y/N: T-That wasn't it. I stayed up too late because I wanted to talk with RWBY more.

Subaru: Heh. I'm happy to see you've made friends to talk with like that.

Y/N: How long was I out for?

Subaru: About an hour. The second match for the 2V2 portion of the tournament was decided.

Y/N: I see.

Katsune: Yang and Weiss are about to fight.

Y/N: I see. (stands up) I need to see it. 

She and Katsune start to walk away until Y/N turns to see Subaru isn't moving.

Y/N: You don't want to come with us, Papa?