Chapter 24

To say Taylor's day had been hectic is putting it lightly.

The costume designer, Leon as Tree had informed her, had given them them the wrong address. So Bryce had driven Tree and Taylor through heavy New York traffic just to find that he wasn't there.

After calling to get everything sorted out, Leon gave them the address of the real meeting point, and even had the audacity to order them to hurry, as his time was precious.

Taylor loved everybody, but she got the feeling that this man would be an exception.

---

"I won't be home for dinner tonight, you think you can handle yourself?" Karlie jokes as she takes a seat next to Cara.

Cara grins, and Karlie narrows her eyes because it's the same grin that Cara flashes when she's up to no good.

"I'll be fine," she says, and Karlie can tell that's all she'll be getting out of her.

"Just... don't do anything you'll regret."

Leaning further into the sofa and flipping the channel, Cara scoffs, "Do I ever?"

"Yeah," Karlie turns to her with a knitted brow, "like all the time."

"Relax, I'll be fine," Cara assures with a wave her of hand.

But Karlie's not exactly convinced.

---

Even though Leon was a pain, he did damn good work. But his pretentiously over-exaggerated French accent was wearing on Taylor.

They had been looking over outfits for hours and it was getting late.

She reaches for her purse, but finds nothing. It probably got left in the car when she and Tree were rushing out.

Taylor's about to excuse herself and get it, but Leon brings out another rack of beautifully designed sample outfits and she's asked for her opinion-- again.

---

Karlie waits for half an hour sitting at an outdoor table next to the cafe's window with a small bouquet of flowers in hand. Across the street is the antique shop that Taylor would love to get lost in-- literally and figuratively, Taylor has a habit of getting distracted and wondering.

Is that what happened tonight? Taylor's usually so punctual, so much so, that she even claims it's her middle name before confessing that it's actually Alison to avoid any confusion.

Karlie waits another half hour before deciding to call. The phone rings on the other side of the city, trapped in a car with only Bryce to hear it. After the fourth missed call, he contemplates bringing it in to Taylor, but he figures there's important business going on and decides it's best not to interrupt.

On the fifth call someone picks up.

"Taylor?" Karlie gasps.

"No," a man replies, "It's Bryce, I just thought you might be worried or something. She's just meeting with a designer for the tour."

"Oh," Karlie frowns. She was worried, but now she's mad. It's not a feeling she usually has.

How dare Taylor make her worry, and how dare she forget after being home for one day.

"Thanks. And, would you please do me a favor?"

"Anything,"

"Don't tell her to call me back." Karlie ends the call and gets up to hail a cab, leaving the flowers on the metal tabletop.

---

"Hey, you've reached Karlie, I'm really sorry I can't pick up right now, but I pinky promise I'll call you back as soon as possible!"

It's the tenth time Taylor's heard the message. She feels terrible about that whole thing and just wants to apologize.

She groans and tries to call Martha for advice, but it goes striaght to voicemail.

"You've reached Martha-- Hunt, not Stewart, so if you're looking for her then stop calling!"

Taylor throws herself onto her bed and tries Karlie again.

"Hey, you've reached Karlie, I'm really sorry I can't pick up right now, but I pinky promise I'll call you back as soon as possible!"

Why does Taylor get the feeling she won't be getting that call anytime soon?