☻☹︎ [c.o.] nightmare.

carlos oliveira||any reader||tw: height diff? idk if that's a trigger lol.

it was pitch black when carlos heard your soft whimpers in your sleep. this was not too out of the ordinary for you, bad dreams from the days and nights spent in raccoon city fighting for your life and helplessly witnessing everyone you loved die right in front of you plaguing you yet again. it happened at least once a month, but each time, carlos would shoot up from his slumber, sensing the disturbance, blinking rapidly as his dark eyes adjusted to the night.

you trembled in the moonlight, located on the farthest side of the bed after having rolled away from the thick blankets during your unconscious fit. he watched your face with a deepened frown as it twisted through various emotions, a tear threatening to spill over the round of your rosy cheek just like all the other ones. carlos scooted himself through the darkness and swiped it with his thumb, leaning in close to kiss the remnants away.

"shhh, little bunny..." he cooed kindly in your ear, lifting the multitude of blankets over the two of you, pulling you against him, and shifting to hold you snuggly in his arms. "...your big bear is here, with you."

the bass to his voice and the sweetness in his words were a puff of warm air in the chill of the night, and even in your drowsy, half-asleep state, you felt a prick of goosebumps spring up over your flesh. you hushed at his familiar timbre. your position stirred in your haze so that your back was flush against carlos's chest, and you reached out to lazily search the blankets nearby. feeling you do this, his hands slipped down your arms to assist, intertwining his fingers with your clumsy ones. once you'd gained a sense of comfortability, you tugged his arms closer, pushing your back into him, and stuffing your icy legs between his hot ones; a soft sigh escaping your lips at the sudden warmth.

carlos chuckled lowly to himself, grinning sloppily as he felt you wriggle into every nook and cranny that remained, burrowing further until your bodies were naught but a blazing heap under the covers. "boa noite, meu anjo. (goodnight, my angel.)" he murmured under his breath when he finally felt you still, nuzzling his scruff deep into your shoulder.

for some time, he remained and lay awake, savoring the sweet serenity of the nightly hour. stroking the knuckles you had folded over one another at the center of your chest, groggily brushing the occasional feathery kisses onto your smooth skin, all while his eyelids grew heavier and heavier until he lastly drifted off to sleep. instead of a nightmare, the scent of each other and the sounds of slumber permeated both of your dreams.

🛌

( notes: a very cute story <3 this [along with the first oneshot] was going to be a chris oneshot, but i made it carlos last minute because i feel like he SO would be the type to call you "little bunny" as well as own up to his own pet name with pride, like "big bear". also, i just wrote such a LONG chapter last time, i thought a small one would just be appropriate lol-- )

🛌