Chapter 14

The Music Camp was simply a two day, one night camp for bands organized by the local veteran bands. Since Phoenix Harmony had established their names on pubs and public places, they had been invited for this year's music camp. That and because Quincey had introduced Drystan to the main organizer.

All they had to do at the camp was to relax but Malkiel couldn't do that at all. He stole another glance at Serenity who had her earphones on, eyes closed.

"You good?"

Malkiel looked in front of him and saw that Galene was looking at him, worry etched on her face. Drystan who was sitting right next to her was also looking in his direction. They were inside the mini bus and are currently on their way to the camp. The guys wanted Malkiel to sit beside Serenity but she insisted that she wanted to sit with either Galene or Quincey.

They really couldn't do anything so they let Quincey sit right next to her while Kenzo sat behind the two of them. On the other side Drystan and Galene sat together to talk about their itinerary and Malkiel had to sit with Koa behind them.

"Trying to Galene but won't it be awkward for you guys if this continues?"

"Not really, it's not like Serenity is avoiding all of us"

Malkiel glared at Koa who was smiling cheekily at him.

"Don't worry, we already planned it so just go along with it"

He didn't know if he should trust Galene's words but right now he doesn't have that many options. For every band, a modern mountain cabin is given for them to stay at for the duration of the music camp. And the group's plan is simply to just leave Malkiel and Serenity alone for half a day inside the cabin.

He only needs to talk his heart out again and face Serenity head on. Their friends just created this opportunity for him.

"Just don't put pressure on her okay? She'll pull away from you more if you do that"

Malkiel nodded at Galene's small advice before slumping back on his seat. His gaze never left Serenity, a small sad smile crept its way up to his face when he realized that he went back to square one. Only this time, he could really lose his opportunity.

Once they had arrived, the guys and the girls quickly went to their own rooms. The cabin had exactly three rooms, a living space, a small makeshift stage with a complete drum set, a kitchen and two bathrooms. It also has a porch where you could see the mountains up front.

"You sure you girls don't mind sharing only one room?"

"Yup as long as we get the larger one, you four can split the two rooms"

Malkiel heard Galene and Drystan talking before they went into the larger room. In a small moment he caught Serenity's side glance before she went inside the room. He does hope his friend's plan really works because any more than this and he was sure he wouldn't be able to handle the pain that was consuming his heart.

🎙🎶🎙

"So we need Quincey, Kenzo and Koa to pick up some groceries for the barbecue later. We don't really have anything planned for this day so just relax on your own way then let's have dinner later. Tomorrow we'll have to join some jamming sessions in the nearby town before going home and then..."

"Basically just have fun for now and we'll talk about all the hassle stuff after dinner tonight"

Serenity chuckled when Galene cut Drystan mid-sentence. They were all gathered in the living space as their itinerary was being discussed.

"Drys, she just made you look like you're the strict one out of all of us"

"Well, he is the strict one"

Koa and Kenzo both laughed but immediately shut their mouths when Drystan glared at them.

"If you want a memory to be enjoyable and memorable then you should just embrace the unexpected."

"May I remind you that you helped with that itinerary?"

Drystan raised one eyebrow at Galene before crossing his arms in front of his chest, instead of answering him, Galene's attention drifted to Quincey, Koa and Kenzo.

"Alright, you guys should go get those groceries. The earlier we prepare them, the better"

"What about me Galene? What should I do?"

Galene's attention shifted to Serenity before glancing at Malkiel who was already feeling restless.

"Well, just do what you want to do for now. You'll help me with preparations for later so just relax for now"

It was an understatement to say that Galene almost pushed Serenity out of the living space and into the porch. Serenity let out a sigh before sitting at the hammock by the porch, she stared at the scenery in front of her and couldn't help but be at peace.

The past few days, her mind had been in a blur and she was so confused that she didn't know what to address first. Her break up or Malkiel's confession, she didn't know what to do with both. She isn't even sure if there's a need to address her recent break up. But she was sure that she needed to patch things up with Malkiel, not just for their sake but for the whole group.

She could sense that it'll only take a while before Drystan finally snaps at the awkward air between Malkiel and her.

So in a sense, she was somehow glad and thankful for this change of view. It really does help her relax a little bit.

"We'll go Malkiel"

"What if I mess this up Galene?"

Galene looked at Malkiel who was staring at Serenity through the window, she smiled at him and gave him a light pat in the back.

"Then we'll have an awkward dinner, see you later"

Before Malkiel could even react and before Drystan could even stop her, Galene opened the door making Serenity turn to her direction.

"Where are you going?"

Serenity took note that Galene was holding her bag with her clipboard and notes on it, behind her was Drystan whose hands were in his pockets.

"We'll check on some things with the camp organizers, it'll only be for a short while so watch the cabin and don't let any strangers in"

"Okay, take care"

It was too late when Serenity realized. She abruptly stood up when the front door opened and Malkiel walked out.

She had this sense that everyone planned this but she didn't have any proof and Malkiel's presence was overwhelming her right now. As the reality sinked in, she could only bite the inside of her cheek.

It was only the two of them left in the cabin now.

It was just her and Malkiel now.