Chapter 20

"Please, let it be Phoenix Harmony"

Serenity silently prayed as she stare at the bands lined up on stage. All the bands were now done with their performances and they were only now waiting for the results. The second and first runner up had already been announced. And everyone was now holding their breaths as they await who the champion was.

"And now for this year's Battle of the bands champion... drumroll please"

A resounding beat of the drums echoed throughout the school and Serenity held her breath as the name of the champion was finally revealed.

🎙🎶🎙

"I knew you guys would be able to do it"

Everyone cheered as Miss Emily hugged the guys all together. Drystan was holding up the championship trophy so not to get it in between their hugs.

"Congratulations guys"

Galene said while Quincey smiled at them with her arms crossed in front of her chest,

"Who would've thought you had it in you"

She proudly jest but the guys couldn't care less about her tone.

"Our lucky charm, come here"

Koa and Kenzo pulled Galene, Quincey and Serenity into the group hug and Malkiel felt his cheeks burned when he felt Serenity beside him. He tried to sneak a glance only to find her already staring and smiling at him.

"Congratulations"

She shortly muttered to which he smiled and replied.

"Thanks"

Drystan cleared his throat that made the everyone pull out of their group hug.

"Well, one goal achieved right?"

Galene smiled at them before settling to Drystan who was now just staring at her.

"Yea well, because you guys won this, you need to practice more because you'll be the final act on the last day of the mid-year festival"

"With that on mind, Miss Emily do you think we could go around the food booths now?"

Galene asked grinning at their advisor to which the whole group anticipated her answer. Miss Emily only smiled at them and took the trophy from Drystan.

"Go! Get out of here, I'll take this to the meeting room. Just be sure to leave your instruments at the room"

Everyone smiled and cheered, Koa instantly took Drystan's guitar and Malkiel's drumsticks before he and Kenzo ran to their practice room to drop off the instruments.

"Well, let's hit the food stands"

Galene put her arm around Drystan and Quincey and lead them out of the backstage. Malkiel and Serenity were left there staring at their backs as Drystan tries to get out of Galene.

"Guess the Jasmine tea worked"

Malkiel broke the short silence between the two of them and saw that Serenity was questioningly looking at him.

"Was it that?"

"Well, no one ever offered us that before so it must be that"

Serenity smiled as she noticed how much of an effort Malkiel was making just so she wouldn't feel uncomfortable.

"Should we go after them?"

Malkiel bit his lower lip and faced Serenity.

"Actually, there's something I wanted to show you. Do you mind if we go separately from them?"