Chapter 19

"I thought you didn't want to write and sing about love"

"Galene I swear , if you're trying to annoy me, it's working pretty darn well"

"I am trying to annoy you but I also want to remind you that you're the one who said that you're tired of writing songs about love"

"Guys it's D-Day, are you seriously going to argue today too"

"It's his fault"

"It's her fault"

Malkiel smiled as he stare at Galene and Drystan arguing while Koa tries to stop the two of them. Today is the battle of the bands, the day they had been preparing for months. Seeing the two act like how they usually do certainly helps him take his nerves off.

"Are you two starting again? Don't you ever get tired of it?"

Malkiel's gaze flew to the door where Quincey just entered, behind her was Serenity holding a couple of papers to her chest. Malkiel stared at her and flinched when Serenity's gaze flew to her, she smiled sheepishly at him. Whatever happened to them went on for a week, but Serenity no longer avoids his gaze and maybe he should be thankful for that.

Instead when their eyes meet, she would smile sheepishly at him. She would also greet him but beyond that point, nothing. They haven't talked about the confession since then mostly because they were too busy preparing for the competition. But, that didn't mean Malkiel never thought of it.

He let out a sigh and smiled sadly towards himself. There's no point in pondering what Serenity was thinking. He had already resigned to his fate. He accepted the fact that Serenity would never look at him the way she looked at Jace.

So little by little, he only wants to be friends with her now. Just staying by her side as her friend would be enough for him.

Serenity stole a glance towards Malkiel and saw that he was smiling sadly before standing up to go to his drums. She could feel that annoying feeling in her chest once again. It was clear how she felt for him now and it was also evident that she didn't know how to act around him anymore after that realization.

Quincey and Galene quickly took notice of the two and exchanged looks.

"Hey you guys better pull yourselves together, if this doesn't go well, you better remember that it's the end for you"

The four guys stared at Galene who was now looking at them seriously. Each one of them took their instruments and stood on the makeshift stage.

"Geez Galene, can't you give us a normal pep talk? Do you have to be so harsh?"

Kenzo pouted as he strapped in his guitar. Drystan looked at each one of them and adjusted his microphone.

"Well she is a demon so I wouldn't expect some leniency from her"

"Says the monster who likes to torture his bandmates"

Before Drystan and Galene begin their arguments again, Malkiel tapped his drumsticks together and counted up to three. Instantly Koa and Kenzo who were quick to the uptake started their guitars and the harmony came together.

As the four of them practice their song, Malkiel's gaze never left Serenity. He found out something comforting and he didn't want to let it go, it was that whenever Malkiel was playing, Serenity's gaze was always on him. Like a beauty being enchanted by their melody.

And sure enough, Serenity was staring at him intently. He smiled at the thought of it, Serenity being mesmerized by their song was a win for him.

"HELLO CLANDESTINE HIGH!! This is your resident and beloved music teacher, bringing you to the opening of our annual Battle of the bands. Now as we had always done, the battle of the bands marks the opening of our Mid-year festivals. So everyone be prepare to have your spirits up high as we welcome the bands that would play us their original compositions"