Desperation

(Y/n) POV

I feel terrible. I'm so tired. I've finally unlocked my house and let the shop be open after almost 2 weeks of seclusion. I was out of food, not that I was eating much anyway.
Jerik had been coming every few days, begging me to let him in. Apologizing. The throwing a fit a stomping away when I never opened the door. He hadn't showed the last 3 days. Link has shown up every single day. Sometimes he says something and asks if I would come out or if he could come in. I never granted his request. I was too afraid of what Jerik would do if I went against him and began conversing with Link again. He clearly was unhinged. Other times Link would just leave me little things like a flower on my doorstep, making my heart flutter. He really was a sweety. I hate that I'm treating him this way.
Today was the day I was going to come out of hiding. People needed their potions and I couldn't stall for any longer. I couldn't be afraid of everything anymore.  I wish I was brave like Link. I wish I could have the courage to say what was going on without worrying what Jerik was going to do to me or what would happen to the shop. I wish.
I sat in my shop silently all morning waiting for someone to come in, but noone did. I think everyone had given up that I would open the shop again. I panicked a little too hard. Now I have to get business again. I did leave my most routine orders outside the shop, like the order for Telma or Princess Zelda or some of my other regulars. It soon got around that people had to pick up their order if they were going to get one. I went to the door see if anyone left orders in my mail slot. To no surprise I had an extensive stack of orders. I better get started. Then I'll make some deliveries.

As I was packing up the potions in their wooden boxes, I noticed I was struggling to carry them. They were so heavy and I was so tired. Today will have to be a wagon day. I haven't had a wagon day since the plague broke out some years ago.  My father and I had too many orders to keep up. I was constantly making deliveries. Nearly everyone was sick. Even the princess. My father and I were afraid that this was going to be the end of the royal lineage and the kingdom would be thrust into chaos. Luckily she and everyone else made a full recovery thanks to our potions and the help of the healthy residence that banded together. It was truly something to see. A spark of hope in desperate times.
I went to the back storage room and pulled out my purple wagon that was collecting dust and being used as storage for empty bottles. I put the crates full of empty bottles to the side as I pulled the wagon by the handle back to the front of the shop. I grabbed a rag from the counter top and began wiping down the wagon from dust before loading it up with orders, empty bags for groceries and some extra potions I had made in case anyone stopped me while I was out and wanted to buy something right then.
With my wagon overflowing, I took a deep breath and left the shop. I put the sign out that I would be back soon and left on my path around castle town.
My intuition was spot on as I was stopped by 1 person, 2 people, 5, 10, 20 etc.  I was stopped many times on my way to each delivery I had. It made me behind, but the money was well worth it. All the patrons were very kind stating they had missed seeing my face, though I know it was more of the potions than me, but that was understandable. People needed their potions to keep their lives moving and I was making that more difficult because of my fear. 
I had arrived at my next stop. The star game tent.
"Oi! (Y/n)! You're back!" Purlo, the host of the star game said. He was lanky and wore a green laced up top with a hood. He had yellow puffy sleeves and brown pants. He wore pointed shoes and had a large clock on his belt.  His face was cocky and fare with a beauty mark on his chin. He was a good man even though his competitiveness got the better of him sometimes.
"Hello, Purlo." I said with a smile. "I know it's been awhile, but I finally have your order here for you."
"Oh that's great! I-" he stopped mid sentence as he looked at my appearance and his face dropped. "Hey... are you okay?"
I don't blame him for asking. I looked awful. I knew, but I couldn't help it much. I was sleep deprived and I had lost some weight making  my clothes appear baggy. My hair had also lost some luster and appeared dull, not to mention it was a complete mess because no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't for the life of me tame it properly. 
"Yes. Yes. Don't worry about it." I told him. "Just recovering from a small sickness, and before you ask- no. It isn't contagious. I'm afraid it is something limited to me and my unfortunate genes." I lied through my teeth for the hundredth time that day.
"Oh I'm sorry to hear that." He says sympathetically. "Take your time recovering, but really- I'm so glad you're back. You have no idea how much your potions help me out."
"It's no problem, Purlo." I tell him politely as I look over my wagon to see which one was his specific order. It was a small crate in the corner of the wagon. I shook it a little  to unlodge it from its spot.
"There we go." I grunted and huffed a bit tiredly. "Here you are, Purlo."
"Ah. Thank you, (y/n)! The show will go on!" He cheered. Purlo certainly was an interesting man. "Say... let me ask you. Have you seen Sir Link anywhere? He needs to try out the advancements I've made to my game!"
I laugh nervously. "No. I'm afraid I haven't."  
"Darn. I was certain you might know. I can never get one up on him. He always beats each level I make no matter what new trick I spin on it." Purlo frowns crossing his arms as he tried to think.
"Hard to beat pure talent." I chuckle.
"Right you are, Miss (y/n)! It certainly won't stop me from trying! I've devised a new plan to-"
"(Y/n)!!!" A voice called cutting off Purlo's rant. My spine stiffens as I recognized that voice. The voice I was actually trying to avoid, but knew it was only a matter of time. I turn and see Jerik jogging up to me. I excused myself from Purlo who nodded in turn. I turned and cracked a nervous smile as Jerik approached me.
"So the rumors were true. You've finally emerged from your shop." He said letting out a breath from running. "You look terrible."
My eye twitched a little at that. "I was sick. Very sick."
Jerik looked at me suspiciously and took a few steps back. "Ah... and.. You're better? You don't look better."
"I am recovering. It isn't contagious." I say deadpanned and he let's out a breath of relief. "Good. That's good... you know, and here I thought you were completely ignoring me. " he scoffs to himself. You only stare at him as he amuses himself. Of course he wasn't going to think much on the suffering he put on you. He was too selfish. Anything to reassure his ego.
"I'm glad that it was everyone and not just me." He stated smirking as he went on. I only stared through him blankly, not really even paying attention to what he was saying. I noticed a bruise peaking out from underneath his collar. A hickey no doubt. He should have a collection by this point. One with the name of every girl in castle town written on it. Psh. And he called me the whore.
I sat standing there listening to him ramble on and on about whatever before I heard my name being called once more. My eyes darted up at my name as I looked past Jerik's shoulder just as he was also turning to see who was calling my name.
My spirits brightened a bit when I saw that it was Link heading over, but immediately felt a pit of terror drop into my stomach as I realized what that meant. Jerik faced Link and stood slightly in front of me with his hands casually going into his pockets. He puffed out his chest a little and put on an irritated glare. I immediately shut down and looked to the ground folding my hands in front of me as I had decided to just keep my mouth shut.
Link walked up to us and he went to move around Jerik to give me a hug, but Jerik stepped in front blocking his way.
"Hands to yourself, Link." Jerik spat Links name like venom.
"Jerik." Link acknowledged with a hard glare, but backed up anyway.
"Can't you see she's busy making her rounds?" Jerik told him. Link only looked at him before turning his gaze towards me. "(Y/n), you've been gone for so long. Everyone misses you. " he tries a sad smile. "I miss you." My eyes flick up to his for a moment before quickly going back down when Jerik speaks again.
"That's sweet, but you need to back off. Know your place. You can't just run up to other people's significant others and hug them." Jerik tells him. Again Link is choosing to ignore him. It was clear he wasn't going anywhere unless I asked him to leave.
"You've been isolated for a long time. Are you doing okay?"
"She's been sick, obviously. Can't you tell by how awful she looks?" Jerik sneers back. Link's eyes take on a sharp irritated look as he does his best to pay no attention to Jerik. How could he talk about me this way to others in public, especially to Link? How embarrassing.
"I think she can speak for herself." Link told Jerik bluntly.
"Actually, she can't." Jerik says crossing his arms. "You may not know this, but she wants nothing to do with you anymore and I won't allow you to see her anymore."
My head shoots up at this as I look at Jerik shocked before looking back at Link. His exterior appeared unfazed at Jerik's proclamation as he still stood there glaring at the man as if he said nothing at all.
"I know you aren't deaf, so I know you heard me." Jerik huffed. "Piss off. Hero boy."
"I'm not going anywhere unless she wants me to leave." Link says nodding his head towards me, but never breaking eye contact with Jerik. Jerik was a coward when it came to Link. He could buck up all he wants to, but he would never fight Link. He'd know he'd lose, but Link wouldn't fight Jerik either. He saw no use in senseless violence due to toxic masculinity, but he also didn't find Jerik even worth it. I do think Link is just waiting for the day for Jerik to give him a reason to turn out his lights. He's waiting for that one slip up that goes to far. If only he had been there when Jerik gave me that hand print necklace. I could guarantee that Link would have put Jerik out of his pathetic misery if he'd known, but at what cost. I think in doing so, Jerik in his manipulative way would have put me out of my pathetic misery all the same.
My thoughts were interrupted by Jerik clearing his throat. My eyes snapped towards his as he was waiting impatiently for me to speak. I look back towards Link who only stared back blankly and emotionless. That look was scary and heartbreaking knowing it was towards me. I look to Jerik again who's eyes darkened by the second I didn't say anything. I look back towards Link who was looking at Jerik now with hatred in his glare.
"Leave..." I whimper out. Link's eyes rest back on me as the small quiet word leave my lips. The word I regretted instantly. Jerik looks back at him smugly. "You heard her."
Link nodded almost like he knew I was going to say that and turned and left. Just like that. Jerik scoffed. "The nerve on that guy. You told him, baby." He says and kissed my cheek. I did... and I hated it.