Damaged

*Link's POV*

After pestering the doctor so much yesterday he eventually told me to just come back today. I asked him if she was at least alive.
"For now..." he told me and that did put me slightly at ease even if it wasn't meant to.
Rusl said he would stay longer than intended to help out and see if I needed anything. I told him I would be fine, but he insisted. He at least helped me get the water situation under control at (y/n)'s shop. I have to find someone to repair it later.
I stood outside the medical clinic as I tried to mentally prepare myself for anything Dr. Borville might tell me. Without waiting another second I walked through the door. The anticipation was killing me.
One of the apprentices, that I learned was named Kilian, was standing next to the door taking notes from a paper on the wall.
"O-oh. Sir, Link! You're back!" He stuttered nervously. I only stared back. I really wasn't in the mood for chatter. He knew what I was here for and formalities would only irritate me at this point. He cleared his throat.
"L-Let me get the doctor for you." Killian said quickly running away.
"You really can't do a single thing on your own, can you?" I heard the doctor snap before I heard his feet shuffle in.
He adjusted the oversized glasses on his face as he looks up at me.
"Yes, come with me, boy." He muttered gesturing for me to follow as he walked with his hands clasped behind his back.
"Well... normally I'd be one to fix the problem first and ask questions later, but I feel in this situation that is unnecessary. I saw everything I needed to know." Dr. Borville stated and I was grateful. I didn't want to rehash anything.
"Will she be okay?" I asked as he stood in front of a bed with (y/n) occupying it. Her hair was cut short, nearly shaved, but color looked like it had returned to her face. She had a large padded bandage on the back of her head with longer bandage wrapped around the entirety of her head.
"She'll live if that's what you're asking. Now, for how long is unknown. I can't really say. It just depends on her healing progression." He muttered. "She hit her head pretty hard. She no doubt has some sort of brain injury with how large the wound was and how much she was bleeding. I had to stop the bleeding and close the wound before I could give any type of health potion for healing."
I stayed silent as he explained. My face no doubt showing how sad I was.
"In order to properly find and close the wound I had to cut and remove her hair. It was in the way." I only nodded.
"How do I know if she's progressing well?" I ask him.
"It goes without saying she'll be unconscious for a little while. Days. Perhaps even a couple of weeks at most, but to put it simply. If she wakes up. That's a good sign. If she doesn't, I imagine she probably won't."
"I see." My shoulders slack and I sigh.
"I just have to wait and see."
"Afraid so, but thats all I can do." Dr. Borville states. "While you're waiting for her to wake up take these potions and this syringe." He says handing me a bag. "Squeeze the orange potion down her throat 3 to 4 times a day. And the purple one once a night. The orange on will help her get the caloric intake she needs and the purple one will hopefully help retain proper brain function. It's important to give her water every now and again as well."
"I understand. Thank you for your help, Dr. Borville." I say giving him a large bag of rupees. That was one perk of being a knight. Princess Zelda pays me well. Very well. Not that it mattered much to me. I never used the money for hardly anything other than necessities, so it just ends up piling up. He grunts satisfied and shuffles back to his place in the back of the clinic. I hook the bag onto my belt and walk over to (y/n) . I place my hand on the top of her head, feeling the fuzz of her hair that was cut away. My fingers trace down to the side of her face as I felt her skin. It use to be soft and smooth to the touch. Now it felt dry and slightly grainy. It was paper thin as well. I could see some of her veins protrude on her forehead and around her cheekbones and eye sockets.
I can't imagine how much she was suffering. I have fought numerous amounts of monsters and viscous creatures. That's what I was prepared for. I know I can't save everyone, but I was always prepared to try to face any threat. I wasn't prepared to try and save her from herself. How was I supposed to do that? It wasn't like slashing a monster and it would disappear or unblocking large rocks to restore a flow to a river. It wasn't the same as practical physical problems. This was something inside of her. Something I couldn't see that needed special care and time to solve the issue and I had no idea how to approach such a thing. This was like fighting a monster that wasn't actually there, but it still caused damage.
I lean down and tuck my arms under (Y/n)'s body. I brace my knees and gently lift her into my arms. I was terrified that I was going to break her or somehow make her worse. I had to move her back to her own bed, though. Dr. Borville won't let her stay here and take up room for other patients.
I was gentle. I know I was, but I was still scared. I was still extra careful and I was still trying my best not to let her slip through my grasp. Not again. And so I was taking every precaustion with every step that I made on our way back to (y/n)'s home where the others should be...
...and they were. Auru was standing outside the shop with his arms crossed as he made sure that other people minded their own business. He didn't say anything as he saw (y/n)'s body in my arms. He just grunted to himself and opened the door for me. When I walked in Telma and Shad were there on the first floor with mops and rags as they were trying to clean up.
"Good to see you back, Honey. I assume you'll fill us in?" Telma says looking sadly at (y/n). I nodded and she hummed. She then used the handle of the mop and hit it against the ceiling to alert the others upstairs.
"Hey now! Link's back! Be sure to open the door open for him!" She yelled through the ceiling. The ceiling was dripping with water.
"Oi! I said stop doing that! You're going to make us mess something up!" Ashei's muffled voice came through the floor.
"Go on up, Hun. Her bed should at least be dried. We replaced the bedding earlier." Telma says ignoring Ashei which I'm sure wasn't the first time today. I just continued on without question. The steps were a little more slippery and the creaking was louder as pressure was put to them. I may have to look into that later to make sure the wood was still safe. The others heard my steps and Rusl opened the door once I made it to the top.
"Thanks, Rusl." I muttered angling into the door frame and setting (y/n) on her own bed.
"Where's her hair?" Ashei asked while standing on a chair and trying to tighten a pipe in the ceiling. Water would spurt out of one every now and then indicating more needed to be done or fixed because it wasn't done right. Rusl and Ashei were both soaking wet. They also had their time with the finicky pipes.
"The doctor had to cut it off to stitch up her wound on the back of her head." I muttered blankly as I covered (y/n) up with her blanket.
"I'm sure she'll appreciate that once she wakes up." Ashei commented and the remarks were a little irritating to me, but I did have that thought as well. (Y/n) might find that a little hard to swallow once she wakes up.
"To save her life, I'm sure whatever was necessary will still be greatly appreciated." Rusl chimed in and I couldn't agree more.
I changed the subject. "How's the pipes coming?"
"It's a pain in the ass, if I'm honest." Ashei stated as another spirt of water splashed in her face.
"Ashei and I have have been taking turns trying to align the pipes back properly while the other holds it and tightens it in place. At least well enough until the repair experts come and actually fix it the way it was supposed to be." Rusl said crossing his arms.
"Again... I can't thank you guys enough for your help." I said trying my best to sound sincere through my blatant tones.
Ashei grunted but Rusl gave a side hug as he ruffled my hair. "We will be here for you Link... and (y/n). Neither of you will be left to die, not while we're here."
My heart clenched but my lips pressed in a firm line as I nodded in thanks.
Telma, Shad, and Auru had made their way up the stairs at this point.
"So. Don't keep us in suspense, Hun. Tell us what that old codjer said." Telma said with her hand on her hip.
I relayed the best I could what Dr. Borville had told me.
"So it's still the waiting game." Shad piped up. It was probably the first comment he has stated since this began.
"Sounds like it, but until then, it all seems doable if we had the time to give." Auru grumbled. "I can't sacrifice time to come take care of (y/n) all day and I can't imagine any of you can either. Link is needed by the Princess. Telma, you have your bar to run. Ashei stays all the way up in the mountains. Shad has a deadline to make with his research in the forest, and Rusl doesn't even live here. He lives on the damn near other side of Hyrule."
"I already told Link I could stay to help out, at least for a little while longer." Rusl stated.
"You can't do that by yourself. 24/7 care is a lot on a person." Telma stated.
"He won't be alone. I'll be here obviously. I may be helping the princess in the day, but I can be here for her at night." I told them.
"When do you plan to sleep?" Ashei asked.
"I can sleep here. Asking me to not be involved is not an option." I stated firmly.
"We're not asking you to not be involved. We're wondering about the strain and stress that can cause you." Shad said. "You have your knightly duties during the day, but then you come and take care of (y/n) all night, and so far away from the castle? That's a lot, Link."
"I've delt with worse." I argued.
"You're not saving Hyrule anymore, Link. You don't have to push yourself like that anymore." Telma said.
"Well do you have any other suggestions? Noone else is offering to help besides Rusl." I snapped a little frustrated. "I'm sacrificing what I can and Rusl is sacrificing time with his family. I'm not asking anything from you all, but I don't want you going against something I want to do without offering a solution." I huffed. My stress leaked out a little too much for my liking. I pinched the bridge of my nose. "I'm sorry. That wasn't... I appreciate what you guys have done so far. I'm just a little stressed is all."
"Link..." Telma says gently. " of course we're all going to help. We're concerned it won't be enough though. Not enough to balance out what you and Rusl are volunteering to take on."
"I wouldn't be concerned about that, Telma." Rusl chuckled. "Link and I are no strangers to taking care of our own. This is something that is a common in Ordon and there ain't much of us there either. I promise that us Ordonians know how to pull more than a little of our weight, so I can guarantee that (y/n) won't be that much of a challenge for us."
Link was gratefull for Rusl's help as he defended Link's standpoint. After a few moments of silence Ashei let out a sigh and threw her hands up.
"Look, I personally don't care what you two decide to do, but one way or another that pipes gotta get fixed."
And with that it was settled. No one argued on the matter anymore.