Devastation

Link's POV
I had been summoned to the Princess's office early this morning. Normally anything she had to say would wait until at least after breakfast time, but today she wanted to see me immediately.
I approached her study.
"Just go straight in. She's expecting you." Her posted guard told me. I nodded and still knocked while opening the door.
"You needed me, Princess?"
"Yes, Link. Please close the door behind you." I nodded and did so before approaching her as she stood by the window.
"I have some news, but I am telling you this in confidence as to not stir panic amongst those in the castle." She said in a hushed tone and I nodded determined.
"A nobleman's son has been reported missing." She started. I nodded in understanding. It made sense that this needed to stay discreet. The upper class was quick to tear anyone a part over misinformation.
"The report came in very early this morning, but it's stated that noone is sure when he actually disappeared. It could've been anytime from these last 2 days. They did, however, find the family's coach near Lake Hylia." My attention perked at Lake Hylia's mention. The postman mentioned commotion over there.
"His name is Jerik Consler." My brain went to static at that point. Jerik? Missing? (Y/n) just broke up with Jerik and now I find out he's missing. Surely it's a coincidence.
"I am currently keeping an eye on the Hammett family until I get more details. Their boat was found capsized in the lake. This could be some unfortunate accident." Zelda stated and I nodded again trying to calm myself. "The Zora people are searching the waters and surrounding area for Jerik."
"What would you like me to do?" I ask her.
"I want you to look into this. See if you can obtain any more information or hear any whispers floating through castle town. Even speculative rumors will help." Zelda ordered. "-but Link. It is of the upmost importance that you remain as discreet as possible. As I said, I don't want panic amongst the people."
"Understood, Princess. I will look into this." I told her bowing my head.
"Very good. You're dismissed." She said and I exit. I wasted no time leaving the castle. I needed answers and I needed them now. I headed straight for (y/n)'s shop.

I knocked on her door. I knocked again and again but she didn't answer... at least not right away. When the door did finally crack open she stood there with tired puffy eyes. Her hair was a mess. She had her hand pressed against her head as she squinted up at me. Oh. That's right. She was drunk last night. She probably has a hangover. She blinks a few times before her eyes show recognition of me, but it didn't light up like it usually did. It held nervousness and she stuttered as she spoke.
"L-Link?! I wasn't expecting you this morning. It's still early." She says looking out at the time at one of the clock posts.
"May I come in?" I ask politely.
"Oh. Of course."  She says stepping aside for me to walk through. She closes the door behind me.
"Ah.. Link. You don't mind us having a conversation upstairs rather than down here." She asks. "My head is pounding and I would like to get that situated."
I nodded and followed her up the stairs. I knew she lived up there, but had never stepped foot in there myself.
"I heard from Telma of your... um.. excessive partaking of her finest of alcoholic elixirs." I joked trying to ease the tension a bit. I also thought it might do well to not make her feel as though I was judging her. It seemed to work because she did let out a laugh, but quickly winced.
"Don't make me laugh! You'll make my head worse." She scolded but still had the smile plastered on her face. "And yes. I did."
"I thought you didn't drink." I asked.
"Not usually no, but... I decided to last night." She hesitated before nodding her head toward a seat near her small bookshelf. "Go ahead. Make yourself comfortable. I'll just be in the bathroom but I can still hear you."
"So what made you decide to last night?" I asked as she left and made her way to the bathroom. There was a pause and some shuffling.
"Well. Short answer is Jerik." She said. I sat up a little more. At least I wouldn't have to bring up the topic. "I'm sure you've also heard from Telma that we are no longer in a relationship."
"She may have mentioned it." I teased a little and again I heard her chuckle. I didn't want to push a relationship just yet. It was too soon and now complicated, but I know the unspoken question was there lingering in the air. It would be saved for later.
"So you were celebrating?"
"Not really." I heard a cork pop open. "I personally don't want to get into the details but as you know... Jerik has been causing me a lot of stress with his... um...controlling nature."
She walked back out with a potion in her hand that was completely clear. I recognized it as the tonics she makes for Telma's bar. I nodded to let her know I was listening and to continue.
"Well, you can imagine that telling him I was ending our relationship didn't go over so well with him." She was now drinking the tonic.
"What did he do?" My grip on the chair tightened ever so slightly but she was quick to wave it off.
"It doesn't matter. Point being that really the whole situation has me stressed which is why I accepted Shad's invitation to the bar. We both agreed I needed to relax a bit." She puts the empty bottles on the desk behind her. She leaned against the desk crossing her arms and her ankles.
"What happened after your encounter with him?" I tried to get back on subject. Her body tensed. She hesitated and looked at me blankly. I could tell she was trying to read my face.
"We went our separate ways." She said simply and continued. "Why are you here, Link?" She's caught on.
I sighed. "I just got word this morning that Jerik has gone missing."
Her face scrunched up in confusion but not shock or surprised. "Really?"
I nodded. "I was just trying to get more information. Clues. Anything."
Her body relaxed once more as she looked to the floor.
"I... I'm afraid I don't know anything." She said her voice wavering. "Not anything like that."
"Where did you last see him? Anything helps." I asked leaning forward and smiling.
"We were supposed to go on a date, but I broke it off just outside the castle town gates."  her voice shook but she kept going. "After we went our separate ways I went on to scavenge some ingredients from Hyrule Feild and he went... wherever he went." Her body was rigid and she looked fearful at me. It was obvious she was hiding something, but I had assumed that it was only how poorly the break up went. She was trying to shield her embarrassment. Regardless she didn't know much and I couldn't imagine her being that involved in something so dark. I'll probably make a trip out to Lake Hylia to see what I could find.
I stood up from my seat and the mere motion made (y/n) jump.
"Well thanks for telling me all of that. I know it was difficult. I'll keep you informed on what I find out." I told her and she nods.
"Thank you, Link."
I wished her goodbye and went on my way to listen for more clues.