Discovery

Link has been an absolute dream. We didn't officially say that we were in a relationship, but it was clear that we had naturally evolved that way. Link was patient with me as well. Apparently not remembering the last few months wasn't my only issue. Sometimes I would find that I frequently forgot things. What I had just said, or what I was going to say. Sometimes I would forget right as I was saying it. Sometimes I would repeat things. Link didn't seem to mind that he had to remind me of things. He didn't seem to care that he had to sit and wait for me to try and remember what I was going on about. I noticed he hardly ever told me that I already said something. He just let me say it again and again if I needed. I asked him why he would just let me go on and on like I did. Or why he wouldn't get irritated that I would forget things so often. He just shrugged with a smile and say "You're healing. As long as your happy, then I'm happy. The little things don't matter."
I did notice that Link was treating me like I was fragile. He was very careful. Not only with his touch but with his words. I didn't understand why. Sometimes he would be saying something or making a joke and would decide he wouldn't want to say it anymore. I wondered if he was afraid that he would offend me. He knows that he couldn't. He was walking on eggshells and I didn't understand why. Regardless of this he was being a man from a fantasy. He doted on me and he teased me lightly. He would see me often and sometimes not do anything at all except want to be in my presence. He made me gush, but I was too shy to tell him most of the time.
Everything was slowly but surely returning to normal. Link went back to his regular knightly duties. I began collecting ingredients for potions in preparation to reopen the potion shop.
I don't know what had given me the bright idea to sell my entire stock of potions, but I had found some signs that said restock sale. I don't know why I had to do a mass restock like that or why I would sell for such a low price. Based off of the profits I found, I was basically giving these potions away, but I couldn't remember why. It didn't matter now. It was another mystery that will probably go unsolved. I've gotten use to the missing pieces in the puzzle. It was just part of the hurtles in my life now. Trying to navigate the future while not knowing my past actions was difficult. Luckily it hasn't been too hard so far. Link has pitched in to help me purchase some of the necessary supplies for the shop. I hesitated a lot about accepting any money from him, especially for the shop.
I confessed to him that it was giving me Jerik deja vu. I admitted to him that Jerik has been keeping my shop going with his money and that was one reason our relationship had been difficult. Link didn't comment on this, but nodded in understanding. He told me that he would help restock some supplies and he'd ask the Princess about the property taxes regarding the shop, especially since I was the only potions shop in castle town and I was running it on my own.
"Link, you don't have to. I don't like you pulling strings for my sake." He only gave a little laugh, kissed my cheek and went on his way, leaving no room for argument. As I spent more time with Link and without the intimidating presence of Jerik, sometimes I did let things slip about our poor relationship. Like some of the not savory comments Jerik would say or how I couldn't do this or that because Jerik said so or even my distaste on how I pretty much knew he was cheating but didn't bother arguing over it. Link never once commented on my slips every now and again, but I could tell that the repeated mention of Jerik was starting to irritate him. I don't know if it was because he was my ex or the context of the situation, but I felt that I should probably watch my mouth more. It's quite disrespectful to be talking to my new boyfriend about my ex anyway. I'm sure Link doesn't want to hear all about that. I'm sure he just wants us, and that's what I want to, but it's hard to just suddenly let Jerik go when he's been a constant. I like to think I have, but I realize that every action I did I had to sit there and think about what the consequences of my actions would be. Would Jerik let me? Would he get upset? Then I had to realize that Jerik was dead and Link was there. Then I thought. Would Link let me? Would Link be upset? No. He wouldn't. Link doesn't care what I do as long as I'm happy and healthy. Then I hesitate again and wonder if I'm wrong and he actually does care. It's a constant battle of trying to go back to the way I was before Jerik. Where I didn't have to ask permission to function normally. Link was trying to show that to me in his own way, but he had to deal with the effects of that, which was me letting things slip about Jerik as I got more comfortable to even talk about it.
As of lately, I have had little bits of things coming back to me. Usually small things, like a small conversation I had with someone. Usually when that happened I got a massive throbbing headache, so Link is always reminding me to drink plenty of water, get rest, and use my herbs. I really need to get these potions up and running again. Of course I never remember that, so Link takes it upon himself to carry peppermint, eucalyptus, lavender and whatever else in his pockets. Now he walks around smelling really good and others have noticed. In fact, I think this is the only time that I think he's bothered that I don't remember because now he's constantly getting flirted with. More than usual. It doesn't help that Link is drop dead gorgeous, but now he's constantly smelling like a boutique or washing salon. Some of his fellow knights make fun of him, telling him he smells like a woman's bedroom. He's even mentioned that Zelda has noticed and enjoys the smell, but also teases him a bit. He doesn't like all the extra attention, but I do. It think it's funny watching him get flustered.
I'm chopping herbs on my countertop and scraping them into bottles and putting it into the large collection I have lining the walls. I almost had enough to actually start making potions again. Ashei had gathered some ingredients from the mountain and Zora's domain for me. Shad had gotten some from the forests and had Rusl grab some from the Ordon province. Auru had supplied me some ingredients from the desert. Now I just needed some more things from Lake Hylia and Hyrule feild. Both should be rather easy and I could do it myself.
I hear my shop door open and Agatha came in with Preying mantis insects on her head and shoulders. She wore a puffy dress and her blonde hair was in pig tails "(Y/n)!" She chimed happily. "Link told me you were getting the shop ready again!... he also brought me new friends, see!" She twirled showing off her little friends.
"That's great, Agatha. And yes. I am setting things up again now that I'm feeling better." I smiled. "I'll be making that insect attracting potion as soon as I get everything needed."
"Thats okay, (y/n). I have lots of friends right now. I was wondering if you were selling oils." She asked.
"Oils?" I asked wiping off my hands on a nearby rag.
"Yup. I wanted something to make me smell good, but all the fragrant sprays in the shops are too strong and harmful to my friends." She said with a pout. I thought for a moment. This was another out of ordinary request. Just like the extreme spice Goron sauce. Not necessarily within my expertise, but perhaps I was the only one that could create something specific for a customer.
"Um. No I don't, but I'm sure I could see if I could whip something up for you. I bet that potion I usually make for you mixed with some other things might be good for you and your little insect friends." I said trying to think about what I had to do. "Link has been walking about with herbs in his pockets lately and that makes him smell really good. Maybe I could do something like that?"
"Oooh! Yes! That would be great? He does smell really good. My ladybugs really like his smell." She giggled and I only imagined how stiff Link would be with Agatha's bugs all over him. It made me giggle. "But why is he carrying herbs in his pockets?"
"Well, ever since my little accident with the water pipes upstairs I have been very forgetful." I turned and pointed to the long healing stitch work on the back of my head. " I'm just now starting to remember little by little, but I've been getting bad headaches. Those herbs are for my headaches, but I forget where I have them so often that he just carries them for me."
"Oooh. So that's why your hair is so short!" She stated. "I thought you just wanted to cut your hair."
"No. I don't think I would have survived the social controversy if I did." I laughed. "Not that it's really stopping them from talking about me, but at least I have an excuse from them bothering me."
"I think it's brave that you wear your hair short." She told me.
"Well... I don't really have a choice." I shrugged.
"Well. You could buy the wigs in the boutiques, but instead you keep your hair short and for everyone to see." She says ruffling her dress. She had a point. I did think about it. Granted, my hair has gotten a little bit longer since I initially woke up, but it was still very short. It was still much shorter than Link's hair. It was too short to be socially acceptable for a woman, but with the long stitches along the back of my head, it kept anyone from criticizing me too badly. The wound made it socially acceptable temporarily. I ultimately decided not to get a wig because noone in my closest circle cared about my hair or the revealing stitches. Link always reassured me when I felt insecure and he actually advised against the idea of a wig because it could irritate my wound. He also had a point, so I left it alone.
"It's only hair. It'll grow back." I said mimicking Link's words to Agatha. "I have noone to impress anyway."
"And that's very brave." Agatha said.
"Thank you, Agatha. I appreciate that." I said with a smile.
"You're welcome." She smiled wide and her freckles crinkled at her nose. "So when do you think that potion will be ready?"
"Oh um... I'm not sure at the moment. I have to gather some more ingredients from Lake Hylia, but once I open the shop again, I know it would be ready for sure." I told her with a nod.
"Okay. I'll wait." Agatha understood and Link walked through my door making both of us look at his entrance.
"Link!" Agatha clapped. "Nice to see you again."
"Oh. Hi, Agatha." Link said eyeing the insects on her head and shoulders.
Link was dressed in slightly heavier armor than what he usually wore. He carried his sword and shield today and he dawned the Hylian crest on his uniform. That was usually reserved for when those outside of the region was going to see him. This meant one thing. "You're leaving?" I asked with a slight pout. His eyes shifted to me. He glaced down and himself and nodded.
"Oh. Yeah. Not for very long, though. " Link said casually. "Just some boring Royal business in Lake Hylia."
"Oh yeah?" I asked.
He nodded. "You know, Fyer with Flight-by-Fowl?"
My face scrunched a bit. 'The weird guy with the giant cannon in his house?"
Link clicked his tongue and pointed to me. "That's the one. Princess wants him to have a permit to operate that cannon within Hyrule. She also wants him to start getting people to sign constitutions of consent."
"I suppose that makes sense when he's launching people out of a cannon across regions." I muttered. He only hums in agreement as he stands behind the counter with me.
"What're you doing?" He asks giving a quick kiss to my cheek before bending down moving some heavy boxes out of the way, that I now remember I had said I would deal with, but clearly forgot.
"Oh. Agatha is just making a request for when my shop opens again." I told him. "Can I come with you to Lake Hylia?" It was clear that Link wasn't expecting me to ask to come with him on his royal business stuff. He didn't like the idea. I could tell by his face. "It could be dangerous." He said.
"You'll be with me." I stated.
"Why do you want to come?" He asked.
"I need more ingredients that you can only find at Lake Hylia." I said.
"I'll get them for you." He said.
"You don't know what to look for."
"Draw me a picture."
"Liiink." I whined. "Why won't you just take me with you?'
"Isnt that where that man got murdered?" Agatha piped in with her eyes big with innocence and curiosity.
"What?" I asked and Link groaned. He wanted to avoid that topic all together.
"That man from the newspapers awhile ago. The nobleman's son." Agatha said. Something was scratching the back of my brain, but wasn't quite making the connection.
I looked back at Link. "That's why you don't want to me to go? You think I might get murdered, like Jerik?"
He shrugged. "I don't know what could happen. I just want to keep you safe."
"And I believe you will while we're out there." I declared.
Link was taken aback. "Wha- I didn't say you cou-"
" Yes! I believe you'll do just fine, especially if this job is as easy and boring as you say." I interrupted. "I'll be sure to bring food. This will be great. I've been so caught up in this shop for so long that I've been dying to leave!"
"Don't say dying." Link muttered
"I've been...uh... craving?... to leave?" I shrugged.
"You can just say you want to leave." Link laughed.
"I want to leave!" I shout excitedly. "Take me with you!"
Link laughed more. "Alright alright. You can come."
"Yay!" I cheered.
"Yay!" Agatha mimicked. Link rolled his eyes.
"I'll see you later then, (y/n)." Agatha said with a smile and a wave as she left the shop. I waved back.
"I'll go get ready!" I told Link and ran upstairs.