Devoted

I sat in my cell. I was a prisoner but I wasn't treated poorly. They had my ankle chained to the floor, but they gave me soft bedding that was changed out every few days. They brought me books so I had something to do and they actually brought me presentable meals and not scraps like I was expecting. I even had a bucket to bathe. The guards I had would make idle conversation sometimes, though they never asked me anything about the reasons regarding my imprisonment. They only asked if I needed anything or told me about their day. Which was nice. I felt more mentally at peace, even if I was in the dungeons. I had gotten everything off my chest and I found solace knowing nothing was under my control anymore. I didn't particularly care what happened to me now. I was just happy I wasn't being tormented anymore. I was left alone. Unbothered.
"(Y/n)"
I looked up from reading my book on my spot on my small bed. Link was standing outside the bars with the Princess right behind him.
"Link!" I called getting up quickly. I rushed over to the bars but the chain around my ankle kept me from going too close. I was about 3 feet from the bars. I backed up a little letting the chain slacken. I quickly bowed to the princess. "Good morning, Princess Zelda."
"The day has progressed to the afternoon. But good afternoon to you." She nods back. "You are being treated well?"
"I have no complaints, Princess. I am only grateful for your understanding and kindness." I tell her. She nods before urging Link on. "Go on, Link. Your time starts now." Link steps forwards before Zelda chimes in again. "Remember our agreement." Link stayed in place. He didn't say anything immediately.
"H-how... how are you?" I asked picking at my nails shyly.
"I'm fine. How are you?" He asked looking down at the chain around my foot.
"I'm fine." I said back biting my lip again. His sharp eyes shift up to mine with seriousness.
"How are you... really? Be honest with me... please." His voice went soft at the end.
"I... really am... actually doing better than before. Believe it or not, my mind feels more at peace...now that it's all out in the open and I'm here away from everything." I said and he nodded. There was silence once more. I was scared. I didn't know how Link felt, but no doubt he probably felt hurt. Perhaps betrayed even.
"Link.... I... I'm sorry." I said clutching at my dusty skirt. "I've put you through so much of my shit and- ... and..." I started to get choked up. My guilt flaring up. "... you were only trying to help and I just made it worse... and I-"
"I forgive you." He said cutting me off. I look up at him surprised as tears still flow down my face.
"B-b-but. Why? I don't understand. I lied to you. Deceived you. I made things so much harder for you?" I said  not even sure what to do with myself or where to put my hands.
"You did lie to me.... and you did hide things from me. I'd hardly say you deceived me... you're a bad liar." Link said with a smirk and it made me smile that he was still willing to tease me. "It did make things hard... but I understand why you did it. I understand that you were afraid... and I forgive you."
"You... you're too good for this world, Link. It's not fair." I chuckle wiping the remaining tears from my face. "We really don't deserve you. I.. don't deserve you."
"That's where you're wrong. You deserve so much better than what you've been getting. That's what's not fair. I just wish you knew that." Link sighed wiping his hand over his face. "(Y/n), I don't completely understand why some of the things happened the way they did. I keep wanting to know why you didn't ask for help when I was right here. No... no... that's not it. I know what you said. I know why. I don't understand why. Not completely anyway. I don't have much time left to talk with you, but I need you to know something." Link says looking with deep seriousness. He made sure to look deep into my eyes when he spoke again. "I need you to know that despite everything that happened. Despite what Jerik did, I still love you. I need you to know that I don't think that you're tainted or disgusting or whatever messed up thoughts you think about yourself. What Jerik did isn't your fault and he didn't... 'ruin' you. " Link said with extreme determination.
"But... I still killed him." I argued.
"Because he attacked you!" Link snapped a little and took a harsh breath through his nose before sighing to calm down a bit. "Sorry. I'm just... that bit... it just... still just gets under my skin a bit. *ahem* I can't stand thinking about what happened to you. I just... didn't think you were suffering this much. I didn't know you were in it this deep. I knew you were hurting. I knew something was wrong... but this... was far over my head. "
"Link, I didn't stop." I said looking at my feet.
"What do you mean?" He asked.
"It's true he attacked me and I did act in self defense, but- then it went past that.... when I stabbed him, I could've stopped. I could've stabbed him once or twice and I don't know... jumped in the water or something and swam for safety... but I didn't. I kept going. I kept stabbing him... long after he stopped moving... long after... after he was already dead." I said looking back at him. "I don't think that's defensible."
Link just hung his head and let out a bitter chuckle before looking back at me sadly. "I'm sorry, (y/n)."
"Why? Why are you sorry? You didn't do anything." I said confused.
"I'm sorry that I didn't protect you. I'm sorry that I didn't make you feel comfortable enough to come to me when you needed help. I'm sorry that I left you to suffer when I knew you needed my help. I'm just... sorry for abandoning you." He huffed.
"Are you joking?" I asked jaw dropping. "You were the only one to stand by me this long. Even now, you're here trying to defend me and you're saying you abandoned me? That's ridiculous, Link and I won't stand for it. I demand you stop being so delusional with your selfless heart. You know good and well that there wasn't anything you could do. Not with how difficult I made it. Stop trying to take blame where there is none. Not for you anyway. I made my decisions and I chose to keep my secrets. That has nothing to do with you." I stomped my foot.
"But I-"
"No buts." I shush him crossing my arms.
"Things could've turned out different if-"
"Link..." Zelda cut him off. "Your time is up. Save whatever you have to say for next time."
Link straightened up and nodded. "Yes, Princess."
He looked at me with sad eyes. He looked like a kicked puppy. I gave him a soft smile and waved at him and he waved back before following the princess out of sight.