Deserving

*Link's POV*

"..."
"..."
"Is this some kind of joke, Link?" Princess Zelda sat at her desk and looks up at me with a deadpan look.
I gazed back seriously as I stood there with Plumm sat on my head.
"No."
"Why do you have a bird?" Zelda said tiredly rubbing her temples.
"She's the witness. This is Plumm." I said gently reaching up and using my finger to gently pet her head feathers.
"The witness is a bird?" Zelda said groaning. "I knew there was something you weren't telling me."
"Humor me, Princess." I said and she sighed and gestured for me to continue.
"(Y/n) said that the only reason she was able to escape was because a bird distracted Jerik. That was Plumm." I said and pet Plumm again. "Right, Plumm?"
"Plumm saved pretty lady from bad man!" Plumm squawked and Zelda sat up straighter.
"Oh... you talk."
"Plumm has no need to speak to humans." Plumm said ruffling her wings a bit.
"You talk to Link and... the pretty lady." Zelda questioned Plumm.
"Pretty lady is Plumm's friend. Blonde man gave Plumm fruit. Blonde man is now Plumm's friend." Plumm nestled herself further into my hair. Zelda tapped her chin a second before getting up and walking over to a shelf against the wall. She picked up a piece of paper and brought it back over. She held it up to us. It was a detailed sketch drawing of (y/n). Zelda must have had an artist come in a draw this at some point.
"Plumm, who is this?" Zelda asked.
"That's Plumm's friend!" She flapped her wings excitedly. "That's Pretty Lady!" Zelda nodded and went back to the shelf. There was a large framed painting leaning against it covered in a sheet. She pulled the sheet from the frame. It was a professional painting of Jerik. One that looks like what typically hangs in noble families homes.
"That's Bad Man!!" Plumm squawked aggressively flaring her wings. Zelda nodded.
"This could be promising." Zelda said.
"Plumm, would you tell me how you saved the pretty lady from the bad man?"
Plumm made a strange apprehensive gurgling sound. Her feathers flared a bit a she only pressed herself further down onto my head. I reached up and took her into my arms instead.
"It's okay, Plumm. She won't hurt you." I said petting her. It didn't matter to Plumm. Plumm didn't associate with humans. "What would you say to more fruit?"
"FRUIT!!!" She flapped her wings frantically.
"Well, Plumm. I can say that I have A LOT of fruit." Zelda said taking on a calm voice that resembled her talking to a scared child. "I'll give you as much as you want, but only if tell me what happened. Do we have a deal?"
Plumm made a twiddle noise as she considered what she was being offered. She didn't consider long before she hopped out of my arms and flapped onto the Princess's desk.
"Plumm will tell Princess what happened, but Plumm wants fruit first!" She said hopping a bit.
"That can be arranged." Zelda nodded and sat down at her desk. "Link, you're dismissed for now while I discuss things with Plumm."
"Yes, Princess." I nodded. "May I visit (y/n) again?"
She thought for a moment.
"You are asking for an unsupervised visitation?"
"I can request General Tallin again, if it makes you more comfortable." I quickly suggested.
"Make it so." She nods firmly. I nodded and left her study. I felt good about this. Plumm was the nail in the coffin to proving (y/n)'s innocence and she really had no reason to lie. She was a bird. What would she gain? With that I left with a peace of mind back to my bed chambers.

*(Y/n)'s POV*
I laid on my bed. My joints popped as I shifted. I hissed a bit as my ankle chained rubbed against my raw skin. I was so bored of reading. I've read so many books. Some twice. I counted the cracks in the ceiling. I tried to listen outside my cell to see if I could hear anything going on, but it was normal silence as always. Every so often I could hear a guard shifting, but they mostly remained silent. They hardly ever talked to each other. They didn't talk to me anymore. I haven't been outside in so long. It felt like forever. There's nothing I can do except sleep. Sleeping is my ticket outside. I sit in Hyrule Feild in my dreams. Link comes sometimes and talks to me. He doesn't really give me any details but based off of his few visits, it's obvious he's somehow gotten himself in trouble and his visitation is limited and supervised. None the less, I'm so grateful he still wants to see me after everything. I'm grateful I'm allowed to speak with him, even if only for a little while. I'm grateful that this man could still look at me through prison cell bars and still hold such love in his eyes and heart. He held no shame in anything I did and it confuses me, but still, I'm grateful.
Jerik no longer haunted my mind. It was like it all just stopped. Time itself paused for me so I could breathe. If I was honest I didn't care what I was sentenced. I didn't even care if I was sentenced to death. Death had always been an option and since I tried to approach it myself, I didn't have much of a fear for it. Not anymore. The dark irony left to death feeling more peaceful than scary. More of a relief. That being said, any option was okay with me. Greeting death, living in solitude of the prison, or living outside with Link. All seemed like a decent option. I was not picky. I couldn't even guess what punishment I actually deserved. On one hand, I believed that I did deserve a harsh punishment. I did murder Jerik. On the other hand, I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't been initially attacked. I don't know what should happen. The princess has a tough decision to make. Or perhaps it just seems difficult to me. By Link's standards, the decision is easy and obvious. Regardless, I'll accept any consequences put on me.
I heard voices approaching and sat up on my bed. Link and Gresha appeared before my cell. My smile plastered on my face.
"Link! You're back again?"
"Princess granted me access. Probably because I'm officially back on her good side again." Link laughed nervously rubbing the back of his neck.
"How'd you manage that?" I ask standing up.
"I got the witness for her." Link sighed and leaned against the wall next to Gresha.
"What's the witness for? And what did they witness?" I asked. He only looked at me and gave a sad smile.
"What do you think it's for?" He asks. His tone wasn't snarky, but soft, suggesting me to think a bit.
"The witness is for my case? What did they witness?" I asked and he didn't reply. He just kept looking at me. It was clear he wanted me to put that together myself. Naturally my mind went to Jerik's attack and death, but that had no witness. No one was there.
"I... don't understand." I shrugged. "No one was there to witness that."
"There was." Link said. "Despite you trying to hide it."
I looked at him confused. "Who?"
"Same one who saved your life that day and gave you a chance to escape."
Then it clicked. "Plumm?! Are you talking about Plumm?"
Link nodded with a smirk.
"You brought the Princess a bird to testify as a witness? That's insane, Link!" I couldn't believe the nerve of this man. "How can you do these things to the princess? It's so disrespectful."
"Perhaps for everyone else, but she and I have a different relationship, so I believe she tolerates it with me more." Link shrugs. "She has no one else to annoy and make fun of her anyway."
"A time and place I think is necessary." I stated.
"Maybe, but it was about time the princess and I started opening up more. We had been through a lot together and with everything happening recently I had unintentionally cut her off. I was stressed and trying to figure it out, but had strained our relationship in the process. My need to annoy her lately I think has made it better." Link said confidently and I looked at him unsure.
"That may be only you." I said and he shrugged again.
"I guess we'll see." He crossed his arms. "I wouldn't be worried. Once she saw Plumm could talk and properly identify you and Jerik, she thought it was very promising having her there."
I sigh in relief. "Oh, well... that's good."
I smiled and he smiled back but neither of us said anything. He only watched me lovingly. Stupid boy saving the day again. This time trying to use the law as his weapon rather than a sword. Link is certainly smart, even if he doesn't realize it. I would have sat here hopelessly wondering what I would do, but Link was here making an action plan. What would I do without him? What would any of us do without him? We would probably be dead.
"How are you?" He asks.
"I'm okay. A little bored." I shrugged with an awkward smile.
He nodded. "Your hair is growing out again." I let out a breathy laugh as I ran my hand though my hair. He was right. Even if I couldn't see myself I could tell my hair has grown to the point of where I suspect I look like a pixie. I could see the tips of some of my hair appear in the top of my vision.
"Yeah. It's starting to grow faster, I think." I said. "You can't see the scar anymore, but the hair grows a little slower there."
"Did someone come and remove the stitches?" Link asked.
"Yes. Dr. Borville came." I said frowning a bit. I didn't care for him much. "Princess Zelda also wanted him to do a medical exam on me in regards Jerik's attack on me, but... I refused. I didn't feel comfortable with me being exposed like that in front of him. I don't like him much." He was rude and difficult to deal with, but he revived me. I don't think I'm in any position to complain.
"Ah... did he say anything to you?" Link asked.
"He said many things, but none worth repeating." I said with a sigh.
"Sorry." Link frowned.
"Don't be. It's my own fault." I said clasping my hands behind me. In doing so my shoulders popped.
"Your attack is not your fault." Link told me.
I groaned a bit and stretched making my entire back pop in the process.
"I'm sorry you're uncomfortable." Link said again.
"Again. My own fault. You can't expect a prison to be comfortable. They're doing more than they need to in order to make sure I'm as comfortable as possible. I'm not complaining. It could be worse." I said.
"I can still be sorry." Link stated.
"Fine. Waste your energy then." I waved him off.
"You're never a waste." Link stated and it made my face flush.
Gresha chuckled. "Shameless."
Link only smirked.
"I wish I could kiss you right now." I admitted and Link's smirk widened a bit. "Me too."
"I would settle for a kiss through the bars if it wasn't for this stupid thing." I say kicking at the chain and immediately regretting it for it jerked against my raw ankle making it hurt more. I hissed and cursed at myself. "I shouldn't have done that."
"That looks painful." Link says disregarding his distance a walking up to the bars of my cell. He grabs the bars glaring at them like he wanted to pull them apart. He looks back at Gresha. "Can you do anything to help her, Gresha?" Link asked. Gresha hummed to himself a moment before reaching into his back pocket a pulled out a ring of keys.
"I think a break from the chains is fine as long as she remains in her cell." Gresha says walking over to my cell and unlocking it's door. The door swings open with a creak and he trudged over to me kneeling down at my ankle cuff. He uses a tiny key to unlock it and it clatter to the ground. Part of my dead and rubbed off skin sticking to the inside metal. My ankle was purple and leaking clear liquids with blood spots. I rotated my ankle and hissed at how much it hurt. It actually hurt less with the chain on than it did off.
Link's hands tensed on the bars a bit.
"Here. Take a seat while I take a look at your ankle." Gresha says taking my hand and supporting me a bit as I took a few steps back and sat on my bed. He knelt in front of me and took my ankle in his hands. His hand were huge and calloused. My ankle appeared so small compared to his large hands. He grunted before standing back up. He walked to the door of my cell leaning out and calling down the hall to some unseen guards. "Have someone fetch some medical supplies." Gresha told them before looking back over to me. "We'll get that taken care of for you. You should have told us sooner that it hurt that much."
"I can't complain over such trivial things." I stated.
"Oh. Please. Dont get me started." Link groaned dramatically leaning his face against the bars. "This is not a conversation you'll win with her, no matter how hard you'll try."
Gresha chuckled. "Well I guess I won't waste my breath then, but are you going to just waste your time out there while the others are away or are you going to come in here and take care of her?"
Link perked up. "Wait really? You're letting me inside?"
"What about the princess?" I asked him.
"What the princess doesn't know won't kill her. I'm sure she'll understand the circumstances if they come up." Gresha says and huffed at Link. "Now, get in here and love your woman before I change my mind. You only get once chance."
Link didn't need to be told twice as he rushes from the bars and through the door. He tackles me in an embrace on the bed slamming his lips against mine, which I accepted flawlessly. Yes, I could tell my heart missed Link desperately because it felt like it was going to burst out of my chest to be with him again. Gresha had shuffled to the cell door as he stood and watched for the guards giving Link and I our space. Link's kiss was hot and desperate against my lips and he held me tight against his chest. When he broke for air he just pecked kisses all over my face and neck to make up for it. I hugged him tight, one hand grasping his shirt and the other tangled in his hair. He face nuzzle it's way into my neck as I placed my cheek against the top of his head running my fingers through his hair.
"I missed you." He mumbled.
"I missed you too." I whispered back to him.
He gave a few my kisses to the skin of my neck and then my lips again before pulling back and looking down at my ankle. He also took it into his hands to examine. His fingers were also calloused but smaller than Gresha's hands, though I don't think I've seen anyone as big as Gresha. Link's hands perfectly encapsulated my foot as he rotated it a bit to take a closer look. He sighed got into a sitting position on the floor. He began rubbing my foot gently.
"Does that feel better?" He asked.
"I felt better the second you walked through those bars." I said and Link laughed and nodded. He was too beautiful. His laugh was beautiful. His eyes were beautiful. His pointed ears with his blue earrings were beautiful. His heart was beautiful. Even when he was angry, he was just... beautiful. I love him so much.
"I love you." I smiled placing my hand on his cheek. He turned and kissed the palm of my hand before leaning into my touch as he continued to rub my foot.
"I love you." He said softly. I didn't expect him to reply. He usually didn't, but it didn't matter. I knew he loved me back, but this time he did reply. I suppose that meant he really needed me to know. Out loud. When I look at his face, I can see how his eyes held relief, and yet it still held hurt. I still hurt him. I don't know how I can repair the damage and pain I caused him.
"Link... I don't know how to-"
"Wrap it up, kids. They're coming back." Gresha says ushering at us.
"Later." Link said giving another quick, but firm kiss before quickly getting back up and hurrying out of the cell. He resumed his position of being just outside the bars as the guards came up with the medical supplies. "Is everything alright?" One asked and Gresha waved him off as he took the supplies from the guards hands.
"Yes. Yes. Just wrapping the girl's ankle. The chain made her skin rub clean off." Gresha said before dismissing the guards. "You can go back to what you were doing. I can take it from here." They nod and return to thier posts. Gresha kneels in front of me once more and opens the bag of supplies.
"Thank you, General Tallin. I really appreciate what you have done for me." I say with a smile and he just waves his hand again in dismissal. A gesture that says 'don't mention it'.
Link watches silently as General Tallin cleans my foot and ankle.
"Don't hesitate to let them guards know to change your bandages tomorrow." Gresha says as he begins wrapping my foot.
"If you leave the bandages here, then I can do it myself." I suggested and he shook his head.
"Can't do that, sweetheart." He says.
"Why not?" I asked.
"It's a hazzard. These bandages are made of linen. You could tie them together as hang yourself or something. It's best we didn't keep them in here." He said tying off a knot and I gulped. I glanced at Link who had sad eyes but gave me a half hearted smile.
"I see. Yes. I suppose that is the safer option." I said. "Then what about the bed sheets then? I could tie those together just as easily."
"Not that you were planning to." Link piped in and I nodded quickly. "Right. Of course. Not that I was planning to. I was just pointing it out."
"The bedding is made of thin cotton. Even if you tried to, they'd likely tear before any permanent damage could be done, but good of you for looking out." He said standing back up. "I'll let your ankle rest from the chain some more. I'll have to put it back on before we leave though."
"I understand. Thank you." I said tucking myself onto my bed. We heard the dungeon doors open and the familiar sound of Zelda's heels clacking. They were fast like she was speed walking. It was only seconds before she appeared in our sites.
"I have good news." She said directly to me ignoring Link and Gresha. She saw the open door and looked at Gresha holding medical supplies. She then looked at me and my ankle.
"What happened here?" She asked.
"Oh um. The chain was hurting my ankle." I said.
"The chain had rubbed her skin raw, Princess. She was bleeding so I took it upon myself into making the decision to unlock her and treat her wounds. My apologies for acting on my own accord." Gresha said bowing a bit to which the princess waved him.
"Nonsense, General Tallin. You did the right thing. Don't bother putting that thing back on. I've always hated it. It's just so.... unnecessary." Zelda huffed. "As I was saying, I have brought good news."
"What is it?" I asked leaning up a bit.
"I believe Plumm's testimony was the vital piece I needed to help prove your case."
"That's great!" I smile standing to my feet excitedly and Link also made a breathy laugh of excitement.
The Princess's face falls a bit. "There is one more piece I need to really make sure that happens."
My face falls too. This was something bad? "Okay?"
"I know you didn't want Dr. Borville to examine you, but I really believe that if he did then the possible results would help your case considerably." She says gently.
Oh. That.
"No. I don't think so. I would much rather continue without doing so." I said without hesitation.
"Hold on." Link cuts in. "This examination would be physical proof in her story being true?" Link asked and Zelda nods.
"Essentially. It really depends. It has been so long and she has taken health potions, but it is possible that traces of the attack may have been left behind, but I can't be sure. That's why I need a doctor with a trained eye to examine her. It is only a possibility, but one that would help significantly."
Link turns to me with a pleading look.
I shake my head. "No. I don't think this is necessary. I don't want Dr. Borville in here examining me."
Link deflates a bit biting the inside of his cheek. He looks down in thought before lighting up again.
"Princess, would you accept Renado the shaman to do the examination?" Link asked. I frowned and my eyes narrow a bit. Why wasn't he understanding that I don't want this? I don't want to be examined. My body has been through enough.
"Of Kakariko Village?" She asked and Link nodded. She thought for a moment. "I don't see why not. As far as I'm concerned he is just as medically informed, even if his alternative methods are debatably effective."
"His treatments have always been effective for me and the people of my village." Link stated confidently.
Zelda nodded again. "Yes. I've only heard good things, including from Prince Ralis of the Zora. (Y/n), do you know of Renado?"
I shook my head. "Not particularly. I have only heard of him through Telma from the bar. She's infatuated with him... or was at one point."
"He's a good man, (y/n). I think you'll like him." Link said and my frown only deepened.
"What does it matter? He won't be coming here." I told him and Link was thrown off by my irritation.
"Why not?" Link asked. "I'm sure he wouldn't mind doing the examination and-"
"I don't want him examining me." I said crossing my arms and squeezing my legs together. The thought made my skin crawl.
"Why not?" Link asked his own irritated starting to show. "You don't want Dr. Borville doing it either. You don't have many options left, (y/n)."
"Link, I think it's more than it just being Dr. Borville." Zelda interjects softly to him.
"I told you I'd rather just not do it at all." I said my irritation growing.
"You'd rather sacrifice your freedom over an examination." Link said frustrated.
"The doctor matters to me. I don't want Dr. Borville or Renado. I don't feel comfortable with them." I said glaring at the ground. I shouldn't have to defend myself over this. I feel like it's obvious why this is uncomfortable for me and yet he's acting like it's unreasonable. No results will come of this anyway. There's no proof left. It was so long ago. There's only my mental damage.
"You haven't even met, Renado. You haven't given him a chance. What does it matter if -"
"HE'S A MAN!" I yell at him and Link along with Zelda both jumped at my sudden outburst. My eyes glare at Link as my nostrils flare a bit.
"He's a man, Link. I was attacked, raped, and nearly killed by a man who claimed he loved me. Someone I am suppose to trust. My chastity was forcefully taken and I was left with nothing!... NOTHING!" I screamed at him as my eyes began to well up with frustrated angry tears. Zelda took a few steps back to give me some space. Link bit his lip a bit and looked down at the floor. "-and now you want me to lie down and willingly spread my legs for a man I don't know and let him touch and prod at my most private areas all over again!"
I sniff and wipe my eyes. I glare at him harshly and go back to my bed.
"I'm telling you 'no'. I won't do it." I say lying down and turning my back to the group. I cover myself with the blanket. I hear them shuffle but I ignore them. I wanted to tell them to leave, but I didn't have the disrespect to tell the princess to leave.
A few moments of silence went by before I heard the slow softs clacks of the Princess's heels come closer before she sat on my bed beside me.
"(Y/n), I understand why you're hesitant. This was a terrible thing to go through. I know you know why I want you to do this, but I want you to know that it is completely your choice." Zelda said placing a hand on my shoulder. "Is there anything I can do to make you feel more comfortable in this?"
I grit my teeth a bit. "Do you have a female doctor?"
Zelda sighs. "Unfortunately not. Dr, Borville and Renado are some of the only doctors in Hyrule. There are healers within the Zora domain and Goron tribes, but they are only trained within their respective races."
"Then no. I don't think so." I muttered holding the blanket closer to myself.
There was another few moments of silence.
"Would you perhaps consider just speaking with Renado?" Zelda asks and I could already feel my irritation rising again. "I'm going to reiterate that you do not have to go through with an examination... but just speak with him. Nothing has to happen."
"It sounds like to me you're still trying to convince me to get one." I huffed.
"If I'm honest, it is my goal. It is something that I truly do believe will be beneficial, but as I said. The choice is yours. It doesn't matter what I want. Only what you want. I just want you to be open to the possibility and keep an open mind when speaking with Renado. In the end the decision is yours." Zelda said removing her hand from my shoulder. I didn't like this pressure. Even though she said I have a choice it was somewhat feeling like I didn't have one. Link being here wasn't helping. His frustration was only irritating me more. How could he even understand how this feels? He's a man. He couldn't even begin to comprehend this struggle and humiliation. It was like he didn't see that Iwas still affected by this. It was different than just being attacked. It was like a piece of me was stolen from me and broken and ruined right in front of me, never to be the same. It's like my body wasn't my own anymore. Like it belonged to someone else and I was just left with the gross left overs to deal with a clean up. It was great that Link didn't see me as tainted, that he still loved me, but to see that nothing was wrong at all was hurtful. Maybe that's why he loved me, because he truly didn't understand what has happened. Maybe if he did comprehend what was wrong with me then he'd understand just how disgusting and broken I am and would change his mind. He's ignorant right now. He doesn't know how ugly I truly feel. If he did then he'd see it too. I'd be just as ugly on the outside as I feel on the inside.
This examination seemed pointless and unnecessary to me. There was no proof to be found and it was a waste of time and resources for everyone. This Renado man would be wasting his time. What could he possibly have to offer? Princess Zelda seems to think otherwise.... and the princess was rarely wrong when she had such a strong feeling. What did I have to lose? I didn't have anything left. Not even my pride. Renado couldn't do anything to me that hasn't already been done... he couldn't steal what already been taken. At this point its just the possibility of reliving the horrible memories, but she said I didn't have to do it. Just talk to him.
"I... only have to talk to him?" I asked peering over my shoulder at her. She smiled and nodded. "Just talk. Nothing more."
I sighed and nodded. "Okay... I can talk. That's doable." Her smile widens and nodded.
"Thank you, (y/n). I'm grateful for the effort you're making." Princess Zelda says. I just nod not really replying.
"I don't believe it is necessary now to keep you down here in a cell." She said and I glanced at her. "Would you like to move somewhere more comfortable? I can have a room made up for you."
"I...that would be nice." I said sitting up and she stands from my bed giving me room to get up myself. Link watches silently, but his face held guilt. That was obvious to me. He should feel remorse in my opinion, but like everything else I can easily forgive him just as he easily forgave me. It was easy for me too. Link made it hard to stay upset with him.
"Wonderful." She said holding her hand out to me and I took it as she lead me out of the cell freely. Link and Gresha followed us silently. Zelda was patient with the slow steps of my aching ankle. "Princess?" I asked as we walked back up the steps of the dungeon.
"Yes?" She continues forward without looking back at me.
"Where is Plumm?" I asked as the guards hold open the door for us as we exit the dungeons.
"I believe she is currently passed out on the desk of my study in a bowl of fruit." Princess Zelda said and I couldn't help but laugh.
"Really?" I asked and Zelda smiles back at me.
"Yes. She was very cooperative."
"I can believe it if she was bribed with fruit." I chuckle and we continued on down the halls of the castle. I had to take a break about half way down the hall. I leaned against the wall and let pressure off of my foot a bit. I felt a hand on my shoulder and look to see Link. I only look at him curiously as he doesn't say a word. He only bends down bit and scoops his arm underneath my legs and uses the other to brace my back. He lifts me into his arms and bumps me a bit in the air to adjust his hold. He smiles at me sheepishly and I just smile back. The return in affection I think made him feel better as his smile shifted to one a little brighter. We continued on following the princess.
The room that she brought us to was on the third floor. We walked up plenty of stairs for it. Or everyone else has. I was being carried. I couldn't complain. I heard that the Princess's bedroom was in a tower all on its own. No doubt she has a lot of stairs to walk up daily. Link had finally set me down on my feet. When we entered the room my mouth dropped. This room was bigger than my entire home. It may have been just smaller than my living space and shop combined. The room was made up of creams, golds, and maroon. The bed could hold 4 of me and the window was large with a small balcony and table to look over hyrule. Three maids stood to the side and bowed to the princess as we walked in. The held cleaning supplies and crumpled linens in their arms.
"We have finished preparing the room, Princess." The older woman with grey hair in the center said. The ones beside her were younger and looked to be as if they were training under the older woman.
"Thank you, Mrs. Warwick. Could a warm bath be ran and fresh clothing be brought for (y/n), please?" Princess Zelda gestures to me and the older woman spares only a glance at me for nodding.
"We'll see to it immediately, Your Highness." She says before turning to the girls. "Mary Anne, please go down to the laundry room and fetch fresh towels and clothing." She told the blond girl. "Cassandra, please make sure the water heater is boiling and fetch some herbal soaps."
"Yes, Mrs. Warwick." The girls nodded before hurrying off. Mrs. Warwick turns back to us with a nod. "I will discuss supper with Mrs. Crocombe as well. Do you have any preferences?" Zelda was silent for a moment before turning to me. "Anything you would like, (y/n)?"
I stuttered nervously while waving my hands in front of me.
"Oh. No no no. I'm perfectly fine with anything. I'm not picky at all." I said clasping my hands politely in front of me. She nodded before turning back to her head maid. "You can tell Mrs. Crocombe her personal recommendation will suffice."
"Understood, Princess." Mrs. Warwick said before walking off with the most confident walk I had ever seen on a woman. It was powerful. Not to be mistaken with Ashei's powerful confidence. Mrs. Warwick still maintained delicacy and femininity as she moved about, but held a posture that looked unbreakable. A woman with an iron spine for sure, no doubt an iron fist to accompany.
Zelda turns back to us and I noticed that Gresha had waited just outside the room. It was only me, Link, and Zelda.
"Take your time and settle in. I'm sure Mary Anne or Cassandra will be back preparing your bath and clothing. Supper will be served in a few hours I'm sure. If you need anything else, feel free to let them know. They'll be happy to accommodate." Princess Zelda says and I nod. "Thank you, Princess. I can't express how grateful I am. Really. I am in your debt."
"Don't worry, (y/n). Just as making potions is your job. Seeing over Hyrule and its citizens is mine. I am just happy that I can obtain the necessary things I needed to give a fair conclusion." She says with a smile. "I will be in my study. I may have more questions for Plumm, but that will have to be later when she wakes up."
Link and I both nodded before the Princess excused herself leaving us alone.
"Wow..." I sighed looking around the room. I spread my arms out wide. "This place is huge!" I walked around the room running my fingers over just about everything. I felt like I wanted to feel the quality of everything. How polished the wood was, how soft the linens were, how smooth the gold etchings were, how shiny the crytals in the chandelier were, how firm the wax was on the candles. Everything just seems to have better quality. Expert craftsmanship done by artists. Something I wasn't use to. I was use to quality that was good enough to get the job done. It didn't have to look pretty. Everything here looked well made and pretty. Truly luxurious.
"(Y/n)." Link called and I looked at him. His face held that guilt once more and if his pointed ears could flatten like a sad dog then I'm sure they would. It could have only been in my head but to me his blue eyes seem to get bigger and doe like showing just how sad he was. I wasn't sure if he was trying to look this way or it came naturally but he really did look like a kicked puppy.
"I want to apologize for earlier. I didn't mean to pressure you into the examination." He said awkwardly ringing his hands together. "I still want you to do it, but the princess is right. It is completely your choice. I... I don't truly understand your pain, but once you said how you felt... about being exposed in front of another man... I feel like I understand a little bit better. I did not really take in that perspective and did not consider how disturbed you may feel at that suggestion. I was only concerned with your freedom... and I still am."
"It's alright, Link. I forgive you." I said casually before going back to my inspection of the room.
"You do?" Link asked confused.
"Yes." I said running my fingers over the curtains of the window. You could see castle town outside the window.
"Why?" He asked.
"Why not?" I shrugged.
"It seems too easy. Your anger left you quickly." He said.
"What does it matter how easy it was? I don't like holding onto anger, especially to the people I love." I said. "You forgave me easily after I have lied to you, hid from you, and caused you so much grief and pain. A little insensitivity pales in comparison. You only want the best for me, Link. How can I stay mad a that?" I said turning to him with a smile. "I had a short burst of overwhelming frustration, but it seems you're taking it harder than I am. I am already passed it."
"I... I see." Link gave a relieved chuckled running his hand through his hair. "I will move pass it too then."
"I've never seen such a large and lavish bedroom before." I said changing the subject.
"Many of the bedroom looks similar." Link walks around the room as well.
"Do you have a bedroom like this?" I asked and Link nodded.
"My bed chambers is down the hall. I removed most of what was in there, though."
"What? Why would you get rid of such lovely things?"
Link shrugged. "If I don't need it, then I don't want it in there. It takes up unnecessary space."
"Did you replace the stuff with things you liked?"
"Some things. I changed the bedding to match my bed back home. Um... I replaced the soap to smell like goat milk and honey. I display some of the weapons and artifacts I collected on my journey on my wall. I have a rug from Kakariko that Renado gifted me. Things like that." Link began messing with a bird statue on the counter.
"Oh. I suppose that's on brand for you. " I said booking into the large bathroom. "It's simple. I like it."
It wasn't long before the blond maid, Mary Anne knocked on my door and let herself in with the black haired maid, Cassandra, right on her heels. They were both carrying various bathroom essentials and they moved passed me into the bathroom.
"Excuse us, Miss." Mary Anne said and I was quick to move out of their way, so they could work.
They worked at break neck pace and before I knew it I saw that they were at the mercy of the pace of how fast the water flowed from the faucet.
I looked at Link with wide eyes. I nodded to them and silently mouthed "oh my goddesses." To him. He quietly chuckled.
"They're so fast." I whispered to him.
"They have high expectations to live up to." Link whispered back.
"Well they exceeded mine." I said and when the water stopped they quickly shuffled back out of the bathroom with a bow to me. "You're bath is ready, Miss. If you need anything else, please don't hesitated to let us know."
"Oh um... thank you." I say and they quickly hurried out of my room. I turned back to Link. "Are you going to wait out here for me?"
"If you want me to." Link said.
"I don't mind as long as you don't mind that I will probably take a long time. I've been wanting a proper bath for a long time." I say and Link laughed.
"I don't blame you. I would be the same." He said. "Go on. I can wait."
"Okay." I gave a cheesy smile before I excitedly scurried into the bathroom closing the door behind me.
Heavenly was the only word I could describe this bath. Every aching muscle relaxed in the warm water and the rose scent eased my mind almost immediately. Perhaps it was only my mind, but I thought the water felt and smelled differently than the water that went through the pipes of my own home. I'm not entirely sure what the difference would be, but this water just seemed nicer. Fresher. I almost didn't want to leave, but I was no Zora. I would shrivel up into nothing if I stayed. I reluctantly left the bath. The clothes left for me was a simple and casual dress along with a night gown for later. Fresh undergarments. If I was honest, I think it best I just toss the old ones all together. It wouldn't be healthy to wear them anymore. That's just asking for an unsavory infection. I slip on the undergarments and the simple dress. It was a navy blue dress that had buttons lined all the way up the front. It wasn't my particular taste but it would do. It was nice enough and it was humble, which I liked. Despite the humble design, it was clear the fabric was of extraordinary quality and wealth. It was probably only prevalent to those with a trained eye. It was nice this dress required no pediskirt or corset. It was fine the way it was. Lovely. I exited the bathroom smoothing out my dress.
My heart melted. Link was completely passed out on my bed. He laid on his stomach with his limbs spread out and his hair falling over his face. Deep rhythmic breaths exhaled through his slightly parted lips. It occurred to me that he very well might not be getting regular sleep and he must have been exhausted. I wasn't making his potion anymore after all, but he never asked for it. He also didn't always look tired. He doesn't have dark circles under his eyes and he just overall didn't seem tired. He must have been doing fine. Based off of what I'm seeing now, he looks to be sleeping just fine. I smile at his sleeping form. I lean down caressing his soft hair in my fingers and kiss his forehead. I didn't have the heart to wake him. When he was tired, he was TIRED. It's best I leave him be. He deserves as much rest as possible. I leave my bed chambers closing the door as quietly as possible as to not disturb Link. I make my way down some stairs that I knew it's where we came from and that it's when I began my mindless search for the dining hall. I had no clue where I was going. At one point I did end up at the courtyard. It wasn't where I wanted to go, but at least I knew where I was. I probably should just ask someone to escort me there. Before I could think on it anymore, I heard the muffled sounds of people yelling. Who was yelling?
I wander around the courtyard following the sounds of yelling. As I got closer it didn't sound like scared yelling. It sounded more like angry yelling or perhaps yells of protest. I noticed the sounds were coming from the other side of the large doors that lead out of the courtyard back to Castle Town. What? What was happening? I didn't want to get involved in any violence but I was curious. I slowly approached the doors and cracked them open only so slightly. I only peaked out the doors. The knights had noticed I cracked open the doors, but didn't pay it any mind as the were distracted by the angry crowd. It was quite a large crowd. They weren't violent, just loud. They seem to be mostly nobles and the wealthy. There were some, but very few of the middle class there. None of the faces I recognized. I couldn't really make out what they were yelling about. The voices were all jumbled together. Something about justice and doing what was right. I wonder what was happening. I quickly close the doors again and head back to the inside of the castle. Surely the princess had some insight about this. I still had no clue where I was going. Luckily one of the passing servants was willing to help. A boy. Probably no older than 14 carrying a large crate of apples. He said he was the gardener's apprentic. Oliver Treshwood, but most people just called him Ollie.
"You look lost, Miss. Not right to let you wander by yourself." He said. He had an accent that I was unfamiliar with. It had a certain twang to it and he was running his R sounds in with his vowels almost combining them together into one large vowel.
"Oh. Yes. Thank you. I was looking for the dining hall, but...I don't know where I'm going. Obviously." I chuckled awkwardly.
"New to the castle?" He asked and I nodded. "Just a temporary visitor for now."
"Well I can show you. It's just this way." He took the lead.
"Thank you." I said and he smiles brightly. He was missing a bottom tooth. He had black mop hair with a rounded tweed bunnet cap on his head. He was cute and he seemed really sweet. His mother must love him very much.
"Ollie... if I may ask... where are you from? I don't recognized that accent." I said and he turned to me walking backwards with the crate still in his hands.
"I'm from a place called Labrynna. It's just outside of Hyrule." He said.
"Really?" I asked and he nodded.
"Yeah. It's nice. Hyrule can be similar sort of. I reckon is has something to do with being so close together." He said. "Me and me mum moved here a few hears ago."
"Why did you leave?" I asked.
"Mum got a new job here in the castle. Pays better. Princess provides for us. Seemed like an easy decision even a moron could make." Ollie said turning back around.
"Do you have family back home?"
"My naín lives in Holodrum with my uncle and cousins." He said.
"Naín? Holodrum?"
"Grandmother... and uh... Holodrum is the sister land to Labrynna. Almost one in the same, but different." Ollie said and I let out a hum.
"I see. Do you like it here?"
"Oh I love it here!" He exclaimed brightly. "There's so much to do and see. And you all interact with the Zora and Gorons here. We have smaller tribes back home, but they don't interact with us as much as they do here. They're so nice and cool!" Ollie began to ramble on as he brought me to the dining hall. He really was adorable with his bright spirit. I'm glad he was happy.
"Here you are, Miss." He said brightly.
"Oh, please. You can call me (y/n)."
His face falls a bit. "(Y/n)?"
"Uh... yes?" I was somewhat confused now by his change in behavior.
"You're the one they're going on about outside. The one who murdered that noble man." Ollie said taking a few steps back and I looked down to the floor. "Oh... well.... yes, I suppose I am."
"You're just roaming the castle freely?" He said backing up more.
"Well I-" before I could say much more, Ollie bolted out of sight, dropping a few apples on the ground.
"Well that was unexpected." I sighed, my feelings a bit hurt now. I sat at the large table in the dining hall. The servants were still in the process of setting up, but they paid me no mind as I sat quietly at the table. It wasn't long before the Princess had walked in. "Oh, (y/n). You're here early."
"Oh. Yes. I am. I hope that's alright." I said clasping my hands in my lap.
"It perfectly fine." The princess said taking her seat at the head of the table. "Link is not with you?"
"No. He fell asleep waiting for me." I said and Zelda nodded with a chuckle.
"I see. That seems to follow along with his usual behavior."
"Yes. I'm glad he's sleeping better now." I said with a nod.
"Oh. He was having difficulties before?" Zelda asked.
"Oh um... perhaps it wasn't my place to say... but to put it simply. Yes. I was aiding Link is his sleeping patterns by making him some potions to help, but it seems to me that he doesn't need them now." I said with a confident nod.
"Yes. That is very good." Zelda says and then there was a pause of awkward silence. Neither of us had anything more to say on that topic.
"How do you like the castle? Is everyone treating you well?" She asked and it immediately reminded me of Ollie.
"Oh um yes. Everyone is very accommodating, but- um..." I wasn't really sure how to go about this.
"But?... there is a problem?" She asked.
"No. I was just curious. I had gotten a little lost earlier and ended up back in the courtyard in front of the castle. I heard the angry crowd outside..." I said and Zelda nods and sighs, like she knew exactly what I was talking about and really the topic of the issue was a long time coming. "...some of the others were very friendly towards me, but once they heard my name they seemed reluctant or scared."
"I see." Zelda says and she clasps her hands together on the table sitting up straighter is her seat. She was taking a diplomatic posture. One that she was clearly trained upon.
"I'm sure you've put the pieces together that the crowd has something to do with you." She said and I nodded.
"Well, I had not yet released any details about my findings regarding Jerik Consler. But rumors are inevitable, much to my displeasure. Rumors immediately spread of your arrest and have been stewing ever since. Because I have not commented on anything about you or Jerik, some of the citizens are currently displeased with my lack of a decision on the matter, especially considering they think it is a straightforward answer." Zelda explained and I sighed looking down at my lap.
"I understand.... what a mess..."
"Yes. A mess. That much is certainly true." Zelda chuckled. "Do not worry, (y/n). This is not the first time people have rioted at the castle doors. I'm sure it won't be the last. People tend to calm down when their aggressive curiosity is satiated. Even when they think they know it all, they're always hungry for more answers and then once the whole story is out they slowly fade away until the next conflict happens, which I am grateful are far and few between."
"Forgive me... I may sound a bit selfish." I said and she nodded for me to continue. "But... whats going to happen to me? If I'm freed... will they still be angry?"
"This is an understandable concern and if I'm honest with you, (y/n). I'm unsure. Cases like this are completely left in the realm of public opinion. I can lay out as many facts as I want to in proving your innocence, but if they believe your guilty then I doubt your reputation will be salvageable. As of right now they believe you're a cold blooded murderer rather than a victim who used self defense. It is possible it will remain this way. If it does then I feel it may be necessary to put precautions in place." She said seriously.
"Do you think someone may attack me?" I asked getting a bit nervous.
"The possibility is there. I cannot see the future but if I were to predict the actions of others then I'd say the probability of someone becoming a vigilanty and acting on their own accord on what they believe is right, is high. Very high." She says and I bite my lip.
"I wouldn't be concerned with it right now. We will deal with this together when the time comes. For now, you are safe behind the castle walls. As for my staff's reluctant behavior, that again is my fault. I only informed the knights and maids of your release. It seems some still believe you to be in the dungeons. I will see to it this gets corrected." She says firmly and I only nodded quietly. "I would also like to inform you that I had sent a letter to Renado via royal coach. I expect him to be arriving sometime tomorrow. I feel you should know in case you need to mentally prepare."
"What is there to prepare when we are only talking? Nothing more." I tried.
"The intention can still be nerve wracking. I think it's nice to have my thoughts together before speaking with someone I may be impartial to, rather than being surprised, no matter what the outcome may be." She advised and I couldn't really argue with that logic. She had a point and really, I am glad she told me. I don't know what I would do if that man showed up randomly at my door and I wasn't prepared. I would possibly just slam the door in his face.
Regardless, I had much to think about before Renado of Kakariko arrived tomorrow.