"I was seven..."

The Lieutenant of the Company, the administrator, was caught in the accidental crush of a tank and was incapacitated, and I was appointed as an acting Lieutenant. Acting, merely because I was Australian and didn't know the lay of the land. So I took on his additional responsibilities – if we were to be sheltered at any time, I needed to hunt up and allocate where each platoon and squad was to stay and to make sure that there was availability of hot food to the troops.

We marched through France. The fighting wasn't too fierce, but there were a number of instances where we made contact with the enemy. There was a lot of gunfire. The Germans seemed to pull back a bit – they weren't so aggressive in France.

Staring at her ceiling, she sighed heavily. One night, she thought. One night is all I ask for. Guilt crept over her. I shouldn't want to forget them. It's my fault they died.

Alora had a habit of blaming herself.

Everyone in the military was trained to take the blame and fix the problem. That normally created an efficient problem-solving group.

The downside to such a mindset was after you retired, you carried it with you.

What didn't help this mindset was her family not being supportive whatsoever. They were not kind to her, and the treatment got worse once Alora retired.

Going through her morning routine, minus breakfast, she took the dog out for a run.

Thor ran with her, steps and breathing steady. Azai happily accepted Thor again, running casually with the pair.

"I heard you missed me," he teased.

Alora was having a slightly off day with her nightmare and the refreshed mindset she acquired in the army. In addition, she skipped breakfast, the one time she normally ate in a day. Regardless, her lips curved upward. "Where did you hear that?"

"You're not denying it," he smirked.

"Not confirming it, either." She countered effortlessly.

"But it's still in the air." Thor argued, slowing to a walk when she did.

"Is it?" Alora tipped her head, smiling wider.

She seemed to be doing that a lot more.

Smiling, that is.

"Totally," the Asgardian patted her head. She glared at him for the offense, but he just laughed. Alora was 100% in love with his laughter.

Azai snuffled, adding his thoughts. He brushed against Thor, clearly agreeing with the prince. "Oh shush, Azzy," Alora grumbled. "You're supposed to be on my side."

"Not when I'm right," his smirk was to die for.

Somehow, their morning run turned into an all-day walk, just exploring New York together. Azai was pleased with this development, running around like he was an untrained puppy. His owner was happy to see him enjoying himself.

"When did you enlist?" Thor asked randomly, having researched how the system in the army worked.

"I was seventeen," her eyes grew more stormy, memories flickering back in pieces. "Australian armies have a year of training. 1930 is when I officially was in the army."

"You were young," He noted, frowning.

"Home wasn't.. Great." Alora swallowed hard, not looking at him. "I was raised to join the military since I was able to walk and figured it was a good place to go."

"World War Two started five years after you joined," Thor did the math out loud. "How was home life not great?" he asked curiously.

Alora shrugged mutely, looking at the ground. How does one answer that.. "They're not very supportive.." she hedged.

Her companion hummed thoughtfully. "How has that affected how you live?"

The woman glanced at him, appearing amused. "When did you become a therapist, mate?" she asked rhetorically.

"Last night," he grinned.

Swooning, kill me now.

Her own lips curved up, his smile infectious. "How much do I have to pay you?"

"Your presence is enough," Thor answered haughtily.

Alora frowned, confused with his response. "What do you mean?"

Azai's tail swished as he ran back, circling once to make sure all was well before running off again. Thor tilted his head. "You answer my question and I'll answer yours."

She hesitated.

Curiosity got the best of her.

"I feel like it's my fault." Her pace slowed. Thor decreased his strides to match her's. Alora's anxiety rose, feeling cold and uncomfortable. She played with the ring on her thumb as she walked. "My family not liking me, that is. They've always pushed for me to be in the army, so when I retired, they weren't happy with me. In fact, they still aren't. The Australian military trains you to always take the blame and to fix the problem. While that provides for an efficient workforce, the post-army life is affected by this mindset."

Thor listened silently, surprised she was actually talking. Little needles poked at her skin, urging her to rub at her skin roughly.

"I want to fix my relationship with my family, but I've realized a few things. The first one being I have no idea how to mend it, and the second thing being my family is totally messed up. No matter how hard I try," she swallowed hard, "I can't find a way to solve this problem. On the best days, it bothers me. On my worst days, it tears me apart.."

She fell silent for a while, picking at her skin. The blonde thought about her words, hands tucked into his jean pockets.

"It's fine, though, mate," Alora forced a smile, tugging on a wisp of her hair. "I've lived with it since 1919, so I can handle it." There was a small pause.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that," Thor murmured, his fingers extending. He wanted to hold her hand, wanted to offer some comfort. "What happened in 1919?" the god asked, trying to be subtle when he brushed the back of his hand against hers.

Alora pondered the question, her anxiety skyrocketing when he touched her. A quick glance couldn't deduce whether or not he had done it on purpose. She bit her lip, trying to make a decision. "I was seven."

Thor's fingers intertwined with hers.

Oh mah sweet sassafras! HE'S TOUCHING ME! Alora internally screamed. What is wrong with him?

Despite her frantic thoughts, she couldn't help but notice how the needle-like sensation left, how the raging icy tornado faded. His touch helped her anxiety dissipate.

"I'm sure you know Steve Rogers was given a serum." He nodded along, walking a little more confidently when Alora didn't reject his touch. "My father basically did the same thing, just when I was younger. The first shot gave me increased endurance and metabolism."

"The first?" Thor growled, his grip on her hand tightening fractionally.

The feeling was comforting, surprising enough.

"The second was when I was seventeen. Gave me immortality or something like that, which is why I look like a seventeen-year-old," Alora explained, unbothered with his reaction.

Why she was telling Thor this, she wouldn't be able to tell you.

Maybe it was that he understood what she had gone through.

Perhaps it was because Thor never pushed her to answer anything.

Or possibly it was due to the gentle aura the Asgardian gave off.

Whatever it was, Thor was slowly learning all of her secrets.