Chapter 12 // he gave you one last chance.

The sudden loud shriek dazed everyone. Defect, I and the entire guard crew stared at each other, paralyzed and probably deaf. It was nothing but a void of lost sound waves for seconds. One of the guards moved one inch before hip-hop music kicks in from behind us. I looked behind, a horde of small gremlins piled onto each other, swarming above us like a giant tsunami. 

"What is that?!" One of the guards exclaimed as the human wave came closer.

"No idea! Shoot it down!"

Each guard redirected their aim toward the wave before firing the gremlins. They resisted the bullets like bullet proof glass. Soon, the waves engulfed the army, making massive intimidating sounds that was enough to scare off a bear. I rubbed my eyes to ensure that I wasn't dreaming.

"That's better! Now we can go have some lunch at their cafeteria!" Bobo exclaimed, not being concerned about the current situation.

Even Defect was concerned. His face softened as he attempted to collect the puzzle pieces about the situation. One of the gremlins came closer to us and inspected us. Although it wasn't quite png, I could clearly tell it was one of the nextbots. The gremlin has peachy skin, with a matching blue hat like Bobo. It meeped at us before hopping towards the others, continuing to torment the Elysium guards.

"Thank you so much, friend!" Bobo waved happily.

That could mean... Bobo is a nextbot. Defect would figure that out earlier than I could because he gave Bobo a suspicious expression.

"You can summon nextbots like that? By screaming and almost making us deaf?" Defect asked in a serious tone.

"Of course I can!" Bobo happily replied, not hesistating in his words.

It seems that Bobo doesn't care whether or not we figured out that he is a nextbot. The only thing he worries about was either I am getting hurt or being in danger. Talking about it, that really lines up with the mystery of how I first met him. He didn't follow the other Elysium survivors into the portal because he didn't want to be part of the Coporation's mess. He probably wandered into the forest only to later find me in the dimension. Even when he seems like a harmless fellow nextbot, remind me not to get onto his bad side. 

I could hear the sound of spine-crushing cracks as a pile of guards were paralysed onto the floor. The Bobo gremlins looked at eachother before they celebrated their small victory on taking down the Elysium Army. I looked at Bobo.

"Thank you so much, dude!" I thanked him, "maybe you did change my mind about nextbots,"

"Not all nextbots are bad you know," Bobo answered with a large smile one his face.

"Right! We should go and steal the artifact from the chamber room," Defect reminded, standing up and walking towards one of the rooms of the base, "it's almost time for the security laser to be shut down,"

We walked into the treasure chamber before the treasure was revealed to our eyes. The blue light seemed to be trapped in such a small chamber. It glows as its case gently sits on top of the chamber. Defect checked his watch, making sure that the lasers were cut off.

"And, that's time. Jard, you can snatch it now!"

I wrapped my hands around the lantern. It was wonderful, I was like a moth attracted to bright light in the dark. Assuming by the shape and that one page in that guide book, it must have been a Fusion Coil Light. I completely forgotten about how many points it was worth because those college lessons shoved that information out of my brain. I gently put the light into my backpack, next to all the packed instant noodles I needed when I get back from this expedition.