Chapter 16 // Are you alright, Jard?

It was extremely hot. I somehow managed to lie on my back. There seemed to be something soft and comfortable underneath me. I still woke up with a terrible headache, almost like a fever. Don't tell me I got sick all of the sudden. I looked down with the remaining strength on my neck. Galf's red and white blanket. Am I on his bed?!

"Jard! You're awake!" Galf said with a small, concerned tone.

In making sure that the bones in my body didn't break from that Catacombs experience, I moved my arm. Although they felt numb, they obeyed the message as they raised in front of my face. I looked at Galf, his face is melted with guilt and dread. He probably felt bad that I got hurt in the first place.

"What happened?" I asked.

My voice barely carried out the message. It was like a soft whisper, followed by a voice crack. The taste of that stupid slimy glow worm still remains in my mouth. I wish I could forget that experienced. Should I be worried though? I think that worm probably already got digested for God knows how long. Galf seemed to get my message.

"I have no idea, but Defect carried you on his shoulder before cutting the expedition short," he said in a calm voice, "he got back out to the expedition again and told me to look after you until you feel better,"

That got me thinking. Where was Defect when I left? Even better, where the hell was Bobo?! Without skipping a beat, I let my thoughts out, praying that Galf would hear them. He turned to me before gently taking my cap off and putting it on the clothes rack. 

"Bobo was exploring another cave while Defect was watching over him," Galf explained, "you were also screaming frantically into the radar while I was cooking ramen,"

Everyone can hear me. Oh... The radar connects to every communication device, even Galf's. 

"And when Bobo heard about you feeling unwell, he immediately cut his expedition temporarily short to see you. He seemed to be very concerned about you," he continued.

Defect and Bobo needs me, they couldn't do this expedition alone. I tried to sit up from the bed, only to be greeted with another splitting headache. Galf gently sets me back down on his bed again, knowing that I was in pain. 

"You explored enough for today," Galf stated, "do not worry, Defect and Bobo will finish off the expedition data collecting,"

"But-" I spat while avoiding to sitting up again, "there are only two people doing the data collecting! Besides, Bobo's like 15 and almost died!"

"It's okay! Defect has got him under control!" Galf answered, standing from his seat with his eyes darting over my backpack.

He dug his hand into my backpack which was completely soaked with green slimy substance. He holds a familiar zip lock bag that contains slightly less than a liter of the glowing green goo. He smiled before turning to me once more.

"At least you got some bits of data," he softly said, putting the bag onto his observation table, "that's not all of it,"

Again, he digs back into my backpack to pull out a slimy tentacle like vine that tried to attack me. Is that the reason why my backpack was deliberately soaked?

"This is definitely interesting; I will quickly extract the DNA later. Defect also took the photo of the sketch you made of that flower bud,"

Good job Defect. I knew you could be a helping hand.

"I think you had collected enough data, you probably don't need to go out to that expedition again," Galf concluded, before walking towards the bedroom door, "have a good rest before the others come back, alright?"