Chapter 20 // M.I.A

I picked up the pace on my feet to match Defect's marathon run, trying my best to not trip over. My heartbeat beats faster and faster in fear as the nextbot drew closer and closer to us. The lights flickered harder as chills travel down my spine. My legs grew numb, not from the fast pace, but rather from the reaper chasing behind the three of us. Bobo, in a quick of a think, dug out a small pencil case out of the front pocket of my backpack. Inside the case, there was a small notebook with a hard cover. I scoffed.

"Bobo! This isn't really the time to be drawing!" I yelled as he looked at me, smiling with his glimmering eyes.

"Don't worry! I got a plan!" he yelled back.

He opened the notebook before grabbing a blue crayon. Even though the air that flew by us were as loud as a jet plane, I could clearly hear the scribbles of the pencil as Bobo rushed a small simple sketch. A magic miracle happened before my eyes. A similar figure emerged from the pages of the notebook. It looked like Bobo, except a lot more spaces in between the colors. The sketch looked at Bobo, saluted him before running off the opposite direction and past the nextbot. Confused, the hungry creature looked at the fake Bobo before chasing it, leaving us nothing to run from. Defect finally slowed down, taking a breath.

"Nice one, Bobo," he said, putting a thumbs up while catching his breath.

"What was that?" I said, looking at the nextbot chasing the fake Bobo off in the distance.

"Oh this?" Bobo turned around, holding up the magical pieces of materials, "this is a decoy! I can make a copy of myself in order to escape tight spaces!"

"How did you get that? From a witch's cauldron?" I asked, examining the notebook.

"Galf's shop, actually," Bobo answered with joy.

Jesus! What stuff is Galf even selling? He seems to be a wizard from the Hogwarts. I know he was supposed to be a mysterious character, but never higher than this level.

Defect brushed off his rebel uniform before he sat on one of the barrels that was neatly lined up against the wall. Bobo simply sat on the cold floor. Defect took his moment to look around and collect where he is. 

"So, we have a few 30 seconds left before the artifact is revealed," He said softly, "maybe we could talk for a while,"

"Yeah, sure!" Bobo excitingly agreed, "so, before you rejected your comrades, how were you with the other rebels? How did you even join the rebels?"

"I supposed it was interesting," Defect answered nervously, scratching the back of his head, "I joined when I was about 17 years old, back in those days we used to go around different dimensions and shoot survivors so that we could get the artifact first,"

"That sounds evil," I responded, tugging the child leash.

"I know," Defect said, "but the survivors are there so that they could snatch the artifact before we could. The rebels and the Elysium corporation had been going into an ongoing war ever since,"

"Well if the rebels dislike the Elysium Corporation, then why they are trying to attack me?!" I asked, raising my voice a bit.

Defect looked away from me for a few seconds before meeting my eyes once again.

"You used to work for the Elysium Corporation, right?" Defect noted. Now everything else lines up.

"Oh! That makes sense now!" I muttered to myself.

Defect turned to Bobo to ask him a question.

"So, how was it like being a nextbot?" He asked, "does it feel like everyone hates you?"

"No, not really" Bobo chuckled, "it was quite fun-"

As those two continued the conversation, I turned my head away from their eyes. I stared at the blank brick wall, painting a picture in that mind. Now that Defect mentioned about the Elysium Corporation and how I used to navigate the artifacts for them, I am starting to think about that one girl who I cooperated with. Rose.

He walks down the hallway and followed the information desk's instructions. He reached the door, the door that he was looking for. The dark oak stood menacingly at his short size with a fine golden plate printed in bright yellow letters "Rose". He took a breath in before curling his hands to knock the door.

"Come in!"

Unlike the other harsh researchers, her voice was as soft as a pillow. Jard turns the handles before entering the room. The air was filled with a lavender smell as the room was painted with pure white wallpaper. He focused on the middle of the room. Rose was only slightly taller than Jard. She has her long brown hair tied up into a bun with her pale white skin being spotlighted by the light above her. She was dressed nicely like an organized desk worker. Jard had a weird fluttering feeling inside of him.

"It's Jard, is it?" she asked, going through her papers that she recently printed out.

"Ah, uh... Yes. Jard," he responded, pulling the chair back before sitting down.

"Wonderful!" Rose answered, "alright, tell me about your trip!"

Her tone was as soft as a feather, almost catching Jard into a tune. He pulls out a sheet of notes from his bag before putting it on the desk.

"It was cold, but it was okay," Jard responded while Rose looks at the recorded evidence on the notebooks.

"Interesting," Rose said quietly, putting the notebook beside her, "I will send these to the staff immediately! Thank you for your cooperation!"

Jard unzips his bag before leaving for the door. His hand opening the door. Before he completely disappears, he again turned to Rose.

"Hey, Rose," he asked, flustering a bit.

"Yes?" she asked, looking at him.

"You don't mind if we could have some tea during break, right?" he said after a long silence.

"Oh, I would love to," Rose answered, with a kind smile, "I will see you there, Jard!"

With that, he gently closed the door, avoiding slamming it. He smiled to himself, a part of him felt safe every time he was around Rose.

"JARD!"

I flinched at the sudden sound of Defect. Bobo was looking at me oddly while Defect facepalmed with disappointment. Have I been daydreaming?

"Jard, you got to stop snoozing off like that, it's scaring us," Bobo said.

"Oh, sorry, what did I miss?" I said, chuckling nervously.

"Defect asked you if you had a crush before," Bobo answered, "after all, you are going through college,"

"Pfft! No! I don't have a crush!" I answered, denying the fact I once had a crush on Rose, "what would your question be, Bobo?"

"Have you ever murdered someone?" he smiled in a childish tone.

What kind of question is that?!

"Definitely not!" I rolled my eyes.

Defect checked my watch. He stood up from the sitting position on the barrel before walking off.

"We better get to the pedestal, it's almost about time,"

As we followed Defect to wherever the artifact would be revealed, I saw a wanted poster in the corner of my eye. The wanted person seemed quite familiar, long brown hair, gentle white skin and a kind smile. Is that... Rose? I stopped walking as I moved closer towards the poster and examined the name below it...

'Wanted: M.I.A.'