First Day

Haru's POV

"Finally, I'm free. I can't wait for my first exams, and play basketball. Do you think I can reach the net, John," I asked my guard next to me. Maya had a glare pointed out the window. I caught her squinting in my direction.

"You can be anything if you put the effort into it," John said. I nodded in gratitude to have support from my butler. 

"Yeah. I agree," Maya responded for the first time in the long drive. I sat up straight against the leathered seat.

"Well, thanks for the support. Since you've been going to this school. What's it like," I said. She glances up at John and the rest of the guards lining the tight seats. 

"It's a normal high school. Maybe too much like anime that it's almost criminal," she cleared her throat when John removed his shades to stare at her. She flinched.

"You'll have a great time. There's the sports festival coming up, first exams, and some club sign-ups. And perhaps a valentines themed cafe will pop up. I'm part of the student council," she said pulling out a card and handing it to me. 

"If you need anything, I'll be there, and my number for contact. When we leave. I'll be right behind you, buddy ol' pal," she said with a strained smile. 

"No bad guy will get through my defense," she said showing the same portal and apple trick in the limo. John placed his shaded back on.

"So cool!" I said stretching my hand to touch the black portal. She closed it immediately. 

"Hey, hold it. I send most things back to the island, and if we did use it. I might have to reprogram it to take you straight home. It's not a fun transportation. I feel everything that goes through," she said as her face turned a bit green. 

"I apologize," I frowned.

"I can show you more tricks later. But let's now talk about love," she said, facing me. I raised my eyebrows at her. 

"Love? I don't know. We just met, so," I responded automatically.

"What? No, not me," she waved her hand away from her. 

"I was asking in general. Y'know, stuff friends talk with each other," she said with an amused smile. 

"Friends. I never had much to begin with due to my circumstances. Does that mean you'd be okay if we became friends," I asked with hope. 

"I mean, we're going to spend a lot of time together, so we might as well," she said, shrugging. 

"Alright then! I can't wait to make more," I said as the limo came to a stop. 

"But still want an answer. What's your ideal woman," she asked.

"Uhm. I don't know. I've never stayed long enough to form a crush on someone," I said. The door opened, and Maya walked out first. My guards bid me goodbye from the secret entrance behind an apartment. 

"Okay, then get ready to meet the love of your life, hopefully. If you need any advice, I am your wingman," she pointed to herself. 

"Sure. I don't know if the love of my life will come true. But here's to my first high school experience," I said as we entered the cherry-blossomed courtyard.  

I spot a familiar face near the fountain, and my stomach drops. I freeze in front of the fountain.

"Are you okay there, Haru?" Maya asks, following my gaze toward the girl next to the fountain. 

"Oh shi," she said and put on a forced smile. She looks between me and the girl. 

"Yui. I'd like you to meet Haru Tanaka. A transfer student that Chiya's has put me in charge for the year," she said. 

"I know who he is. We were family before. The disguise is a poor one," Yui responded in cold fashion. 

"Family as in childhood sweethearts?" Maya asked, her lips perking into a smile.

Yui and I looked at her. 

"Oh heavens no! It's a familial issue," Yui glared at me. 

"That's a different matter," she said in my direction. Then, her gaze went to Maya, who was typing on her cell phone. 

"Not related. Yui has a past," Maya said aloud. 

"Maya! Do you want me to confiscate your electronics," Yui said, walking up to her and placing a hand on the device. Maya spun around to evade the council president.

"Still, it's not a phone. Chiya gave me this. Technically, it falls under her jurisdiction," she said, ducking and weaving away from Yui, who was trying to corner her against the fountain. 

"That woman and her schemes. You need to tell me what's going on with her," Yui glared at Maya. 

"I will when we get Haru to his classes," Maya said, grabbing my hand and yanking me towards the entrance. 

"You two are close," I said to her. She turns her head and grimaces. 

"She's the president. I can't say no to her," she responds.