The Wolf

Satisfied, the enormous black wolf raced back into the forest. He would run for the sheer pleasure of feeling his paws move through the forest floor. His presence terrified all the smaller animals he passed, although he had eaten well on the deer carcass, and no longer thought about killing. He came to a stream, wading through and jumping onto the further bank, pausing as he heard an unfamiliar sound. He quickly took cover in the shadows and waited. The sound repeated. A tinkling, silver laughter that intrigued him. He could hear deep voices, but it was the laughter that caught his attention. He cocked an ear, listening. 

"I won't go far Father, but I need a bit of privacy. Just for a moment," the voice said. The predator waited silently, and, was rewarded when a lithe young woman stepped from behind the tree she was using as a latrine. She walked to the water's edge, dropping into a crouch and washing her hands in the cool water. She shook the excess water off, then sat with her arms around her knees, just enjoying the night. She laid back, looking at the stars above her, then tensed as she heard a low growl. The young woman looked in the direction the sound had come from. What was that! In the shadows! She couldn't be sure, but she thought she could make out a large shape, and golden eyes. A predator's eyes. She stayed perfectly still, afraid if she moved it would attack, yet fascinated by the eyes. 

Suddenly a large man walked up next to her, grabbing her by the arm and pulling her up. "What have we here? A pretty thing? Lost in the forest are ye? I'm gonna take you with me pretty. Show you a good time."  He quickly grabbed her, covering her mouth to keep her from screaming, as she fought him to get loose. She managed to grab his wrist, digging her nails in, and as he was distracted, she brought the heel of her riding boots down on his foot. He released his hold, and she screamed, just as a huge black mass sped past her, tearing into his throat. Hearing her screams, her father and his men raced to the bank of the stream, swords drawn. They found the man laying by the stream, his eyes staring at nothing, his blood on the ground beneath him.

"What happened here, daughter? Were you attacked?" He walked over to his daughter, gently taking her shaking form into his arms, comforting her. She shivered uncontrollably. "He attacked me. Tried to drag me away," she sobbed. "But," her father asked, "how did this happen?" as he looked at the man's throat that had been torn out. 

"A wolf,  a wolf saved me," she began to sob. "A wolf? There are no wolves in Nottingham shire. They are long gone.  I cannot believe that is what you saw," her father said sternly, frightened for his daughter's safety.

The girl got control of herself, barely. "Father, I know what I saw. It was a large black wolf, and it attacked the man who was trying to harm me."

The tall man put his arm around his daughter, leading her back to his camp. Later, when they thought she was asleep, she heard them talking about the incident. 

Sir Raymond, her father, told his men he thought it was a large black dog that had come to his daughter's rescue. "We will load the corpse onto one of the pack horses and deliver it to Nottingham. If the man has family they will want to know of his death, and the sheriff needs to know what is prowling the forest. Keep your eyes open for a large black animal."

They arrived in Nottingham the next afternoon. Sir Raymond was greeted by the Sheriff, and his Lieutenant, Sir Guy of Gisborne. Gisborne was a tall lanky man, dressed in black leather, standing next to the sheriff with his arms crossed.  The sheriff, recognizing Sir Raymond as a man of importance,  invited them to dinner.   As they sat in the large dining hall, Sir Raymond introduced his daughter. "My daughter Sarah is with me. She was attacked last night and luckily was not injured, but we have much to discuss. The man who attacked her was killed by a large dog."

"It was a wolf father. I am sure of it," the girl interrupted, her eyes caught Gisborne's, as though pleading for him to believe her. The sheriff looked at her closely. She had been quiet through the meeting and dinner, and he had been surprised at her boldness in correcting her father, however gentle it may have been. Gisborne smiled. The girl was quite pretty. Dark auburn hair, green eyes, and a slender build that belied her strength. He watched her quietly. She had met his eyes, but quickly lowered her gaze when she realized he was watching her.

The sheriff decided to humor her. "There have not been wolves sighted in Nottingham in many years, my dear. I think you must be mistaken. But if it was a dog, it should be destroyed. Once an animal attacks a human, they are no longer trustworthy. Gisborne, send some men out to the area looking for a black dog," the sheriff ordered. Gisborne stood, ready to follow orders. 

"No! Please! Do not harm him. He saved me. Whatever the animal was, it saved me. You cannot think to destroy it!" she begged. Gisborne stopped. The sheriff was not happy to be confronted by a young senseless girl. "Gisborne," he shouted. "Go!"

Guy turned quickly, leaving the group sitting at the table.

The sheriff grinned wickedly at the young woman at his table. "Well, it would seem your daughter does not understand that I give the orders here," the little man said with a devious gleam in his eye. "Tell me Sir Raymond, why are you here?"

Sir Raymond chose to momentarily ignore the slight to his daughter. "I am here to take over the Wheaton estate. King Richard has awarded the land to me as payment for my support in Acre. My daughter and I will be taking up residence there."

The sheriff narrowed his eyes. Wheaton was the largest of his holdings in the shire, and he was loathe to lose it. He had planned using it as his own. Prince John had all but promised it to him! He drummed his fingers on the table, not saying anything. Sarah watched him closely, not trusting him one bit. 

Sir Raymond spoke first. "I thank you for your hospitality, but I would like to arrive at the estate before nightfall. We have delivered the body of the offender to you. My men have come a long way, and I know my daughter is anxious to set up the house. You are most welcome to visit sheriff, and I will return the favor of this excellent dinner."

The sheriff simply waved them off.

Two hours later they were safe and Wheaton was bustling again.