Fate

Riding beside the wagon bringing Marion and her father to their home, Guy was pensive. Marion watched him closely, certain there was something off about the man today. She had to admit, he looked like he had taken pains with his appearance this day. His leathers were fresh and his hair shined. He had even shaved, for no dark stubble decorated his jaws. He carried himself well, and his bearing was certainly one of confidence and reserve.  He paid little attention to the wagon and its load, however.  He watched the tree line cautiously, ready for any errant arrows. Marion was sure there would be none of that, as Robin Hood was her secret alliance. Still, Gisborne had a certain animalistic attraction for her. She had to admit she was drawn to him somehow. 

"Guy, I was surprised you decided to accompany us. It was not necessary, however I am grateful." She watched him closely as he turned his attention to her, finally. 

"It is no problem. I had some errands to run for the sheriff," he said casually. Marion went on. "What will you be doing this afternoon. I was going to offer you a meal after your service to us." she probed.

Guy looked at her, his disinterest apparent. "I will be tied up for quite some time, but I thank you for your kind offer." He had no wish to spend any more time with this girl than necessary. She had killed any real feeling he had felt for her when she had walked out on their wedding. The little voice inside him merely indicated she was not the one. Guy smiled, thinking of Lady Sarah, and Marion frowned. 

After seeing Marion and her father safely to their home in Knighton, Guy accepted thanks, and quickly left them to settle in. Marion watched as he rode away, wondering at his lack of interest. 

Upon his arrival, he found Wheaton Hall was a bustling place. Guy had been here many times, collecting taxes for the sheriff, but this was much busier than ever. As he rode to the manor. people were moving on both sides of him. It looked like Sir Raymond had not wasted any time settling in. 

He was greeted at the door, a servant taking his horse and another leading him into the large front room, where Sir Raymond was busy issuing orders to various workmen and staff. He looked up at his visitor. "Sir Guy, what brings you here? I am afraid we are in quite the mess, but I would have you lunch with us if you have the time. My daughter and I were just about to take our noon meal." His voice was loud and direct.

"Thank you, I would be pleased with that. But do not go to any trouble on my account. I simply wanted to see if I could be of any assistance to you," Guy told the older man. 

"Nonsense Gisborne! You will find my daughter sees to my needs quite well. I would be lost without her," Sir Randolph offered. "She will be happy to greet a guest at any time. I think she is in the kitchen as we speak making sure cook has everything in order." Sir Randolph noticed Guy's eyes looking towards the kitchen. He gave a satisfied smirk, knowing any man would covet his daughter's beauty. His greatest hope for her was that she would find someone who would also appreciate her spirit, and intellect. He would have to keep an eye on this one. He would watch his daughter's reaction to this formidable man. Randolph had not been impressed with the sheriff, when too many tales of brutality and dishonor, with a touch of madness had been heard, even in London. And this man worked for him. His second in command. 

Sarah entered the dining hall and noticed the guest at once. He stood, greeting her, and she awarded him a smile. She composed herself, trying not to stare, but once she caught his eyes it was hard to look away. She had been quite drawn to him at the castle in Nottingham, although he had not spoken to her. He was possibly the most handsome man she had ever laid eyes on. Tall, with dark hair and the bluest of eyes. His physique, strong, a man of many battles. She lowered her eyes, and they sat, waiting for the servant to dish out their food. 

Guy, who was normally not talkative, listened to Sir Raymond and his daughter talk of all the work that needed to be done to make the estate presentable. He admired how the two talked about projects, and it was easy to see Randolph valued her opinion on each one. The girl even discussed irrigating the fields to ensure no loss of crop due to drought. 

"What do you think, Sir Guy?" she asked. He smiled.  "It would be wise, and your estate would be the only one doing this. I have seen drought many times in my travels, and often wondered why local farmers did not prepare for it."

Lady Sarah tilted her head. "Perhaps drought does not occur often enough in this part of England?" she asked.  "But it is such a small thing to ready a field, and such a boon if a drought does actually occur." 

Guy nodded in agreement. He looked up at her once again, and she managed to hold his eyes with hers. Smiling shyly, she added, " We plan a welcome party for the full moon this month, will you join us, Sir Guy? The townspeople are working hard for us, and I think it would be a good way to thank them, as well as get to know their families."

Guy was startled. A full moon party?  Strange that Sir Raymond would use that term. Still, he needed to make the man aware of how things were in the shire. "I am not sure the people would be pleased to see me. I work for the sheriff, collect taxes, and bring folks to the dungeon at the castle when needed. I would not want to ruin your day."

"Nonsense!" Sir Randolph bellowed. "You will be welcome here, although I will collect taxes from now on, and you will collect from me." That should make your welcome a bit easier for them. My daughter seems to have taken a shine to you, best we stay on her good side, and do as she asks. Trust me, she can be a handful if you cross her!" He looked over at Sarah, who was blushing with embarrassment at his words. Guy smiled. "I will be delighted to attend then. And should you need anything in the meantime, please feel free to call on me. I am currently residing at Loxley Manor, although I spend a good deal of time in Nottingham," he explained as he stood to leave. "Thank you for the delicious meal, my lady. It was outstanding."

Once again, Sarah blushed. "It was only stew and bread. I promise better fare when you come next." She followed him through the door, and watched as he mounted his horse. He bowed from his saddle, smiling as he turned his horse to Loxley. 

When she reentered the house, her father watched her closely. "I think he may be a good ally for us daughter. What do you think?"

Sarah stopped, giving it thought. "He is intriguing, that is for certain. There is a savage undercurrent in his nature, I think. But he is also quite well bred. It is obvious in the way he handles himself. He has great inner strength, of that I am certain."

Sir Randolph looked at his daughter closely. Yes, she was attracted to the man. He would learn all he could of him, for her sake. "Well, enough resting, back to work!" he bellowed.

As evening settled into night, Sarah was restless. She could not get the thought of Sir Guy out of her head. How he had looked on his horse, the line of his shoulders, and the drape of his leather pants across his hips. She sighed as she wandered to the stream at the bottom of the gentle slope later that evening and sat on the grass, smiling to herself. 

Watching from the shadows, a darker shadow stood very still. The large black wolf knew he was next to invisible but was unaware his blue eyes were reflecting the moonlight. Catching sight of them, Sarah gasped, but stayed very still. Somehow, she knew this was the wolf that had saved her on the road through the forest, and she was not afraid, although she had been sure his eyes had been gold that night. 

"I see you." she said softly. "I know you don't understand my words, but I want to thank you for helping me." Somehow, she knew this was a male. She could not put into words why, but she just knew. His size perhaps. He was very calm, not moving from his position, simply watching her. 

"Do you know the sheriff has ordered you killed? You must be very careful and stay hidden during the day. I would not see you harmed." 

Suddenly, the blue eyes flashed gold, and a snarl came from his massive jaw.

"My lady," the servant called. "Your father has requested you come in. He doesn't want you to catch your death."

Sarah laughed, "I'm coming. It is a beautiful night, and there is no chill in the air. Give me a moment." She looked over to the darkened wood. The wolf was gone. She knew he had been real though and was sure he was looking out for her. She smiled to herself, then headed back to the house. She had much to do in the coming days.