Chapter 9-Full Disclosure

Alan was waiting for Guy at Wheaton Hall. He had alerted Robin, and the gang was watching Knighton, Marion's home, closely. He had decided to return to Guy and help him defend Sir Raymond and Sarah.  He carried his bow, and a knife. Guy smiled when he saw the young man approaching them. He had followed Sir Raymond into the forest. 

"Who is this?" Sir Raymond demanded. Guy smiled, "This is Alan A' Dale, my squire. He is here to offer help, which once I explain, you will be glad to accept." Sir Raymond gave Guy a glance that said he had better have a very good explanation. 

A short while later, the four sat around the table, sipping warm mulled wine. Guy had explained the sheriff's plot to Sir Raymond, and the danger they were in, but had refrained from explaining the more difficult shifter side. Sarah kept her eyes down, but watched her father's reaction closely. 

"I owe you a debt for the information, Sir Guy. But what of the wolf? How did you come to be there when it attacked my daughter? She had been speaking of the animal for days, and I am sure she would not have wanted it killed."

Guy sighed. "The wolf was here to kill you, Sir Raymond. I can explain, but first I must know you will never speak of this. It would endanger both you and Sarah." 

Sir Raymond glared at him. "Speak now, Sir. I will judge the truth of what you say next."

Guy began to explain, his eyes watching the man's reaction. Alan kept his head down. Sarah never took her eyes off of Guy.

"So, this Connor fellow is a shifter, as are you? And he was here to kill me on behalf of the Sheriff of Nottingham, who you work for? And you both turn into wolves when you please, and go cavorting through the forest?" Guy could hear the disbelief in Sir Raymond's voice. 

"Father," Sarah interrupted, "Guy speaks the truth. I have seen it. He is the large black wolf I saw the night in the forest when we first arrived in the shire. He saved me then. And he saved both of us tonight, it seems. You must believe him."

Sir Raymond stood, then left the dining room. He was mumbling under his breath. Guy and Sarah watched as he left them. 

Guy turned to Alan. "And you? What are you thinking?" Alan sat very still, then looked up, meeting Guy's eyes. "I knew. I followed you one night, and saw you turn. It scared the bejesus out of me, and I went to the pub to drown out the memory. The next morning you were yourself again, and cranky as usual, so I thought I dreamed it. But I knew I did not. Not to be funny, but it made sense, you have such a temper, snarling all the time."

Guy laughed. "I should have known you would figure me out, Alan. You told no one?"

Alan looked sheepish. "Well, the night I was drunk, I might have said something to the effect you were the Wolf of Nottingham, but no one believed I meant an actual wolf, I think. And I was very drunk."

At that moment, Sir Raymond returned, holding a sword. Guy stood, ready to defend himself and Alan. "Sit down son, I need to know a bit more about the sheriff. If you killed the threat, do you think he will find someone else to attack us? I want to be prepared. Sarah can be sent back to London, but I am staying here."

"No Father, I will not leave you. This is our home now, and we can defend it." Sarah met Gisborne's eyes. He could see the determination in them, but he too wanted her safe and away from the Shire. 

"I have an idea," he began. "My initial plan was to leave the sheriff's employ and guard both of you, but now I think I should go back, with Alan, to keep an eye on things. You need to set guards around the entire lodge, but the immediate threat is gone. I will send Alan with word, if I cannot come."

Sir Raymond nodded. "And Sir Guy, I will be proud to have you as my son-in-law." He looked at Sarah, "I assume you are willing to marry this man still? I cannot fault his courage, after all, he did just tell me he is a wolf. The world is full of crazies, is it not?"

Sarah smiled and hugged him. "Thank you, Father.  I do still want to be his wife." Then she walked to Gisborne and took his hand. Guy smiled down at her, wanting badly to put his arms around her, but knowing that would push her father a bit further than he wanted.

"Prepare the horses, Alan," Gisborne ordered. "We need to head back."

"What will you tell the Sheriff?" Sir Raymond asked, as he led them out. "He will be suspicious if the man just disappears, will he not?"

Guy had thought of this. "I will tell him Connor was attacked by a wolf and killed. Which is the truth. He will assume his daughter took the body home for burial. I will gradually break the news to him of my betrothal to Sarah, and that should make him less likely to move against you. He will know you have my protection, and assume I am marrying for wealth and position."

Sir Raymond smiled. He admired that Gisborne was not afraid to address the issue head on. "The sheriff does not know what a treasure he has in you, son. You needn't worry, that has not crossed my mind." Guy smiled to himself. 

"Sir Raymond, you know this must be kept secret. Your lives could be in danger if word got out you knew about shifters. Some of my people are very determined to keep our existence a secret, and with good reason. Once I wed Sarah, she will be safe as my mate, but you must never speak of it." He looked over at Alan, "And this means you as well. Never speak of it." Alan nodded, and Sir Raymond offered his hand to Guy. "I will take your secret to my grave sir. I still don't quite believe it."

As they rode off, Guy sent Alan to Knighton Hall to explain to Robin what had happened, and the plan. He was sure the danger was over, but wanted to make sure Esmerelda had returned home and would stay there. "Alan, not a word of what I am to Robin. He would use it against me, as you well know." Guy was sure Alan would not discuss it, but needed to remind him anyway. 

Alan grinned. "I can hear all the dog jokes now," he said, just to irritate Guy. Guy growled, and Alan laughed as he galloped off.