The Meeting

Sarah had finished arranging the house for her father's comfort, and feeling restless, decided to take a walk through the meadow and trees beyond. It was a lovely day. And the warm sun made her feel quite easy and free. In the back of her mind, she felt a bit of hope she might see the wolf again, although it was very early in the day, and thus far she had only seen him at night. Funny, she thought to herself, she was sure the wolf was male. Something in his eyes seem to look into her soul in a way no female wolf would have been able to do, she was sure.

She stopped by a small creek, removing her shoes and stockings, and waded into the cool water. She pulled her skirts up between her legs, wading knee deep. She heard a twig snap, and turned her head in that direction, finding two very blue eyes watching her. She smiled, and softly said, "Hello my friend. I was hoping you would find me." The wolf cocked its head, as if it was trying to understand. She stood for a moment, then moved slowly to the bank, sitting down gently, watching the large animal closely.

"You are quite handsome, you know. I don't believe I have ever seen anything quite as large as you, not even a bear." No movement, but an ear flicked towards her. She smiled again. "You remind me of someone. I cannot begin to imagine who. I have no friends here and have only met a couple of people in Nottingham. I am very glad to see you." The wolf huffed, then a squirrel chattering broke the spell, and the wolf moved off quietly.

Feeling emboldened, sure it meant her no harm, Sarah began to follow it, leaving her shoes and stockings by the creek bank. She found herself wandering further into the woods, and quickly became disoriented. She stopped at the edge of a glade and glancing up saw the wolf ahead. She stood quietly, just watching as it nuzzled some dark cloth lying on the ground.

What she saw next nearly stopped her heart. The air around the wolf shimmered, and standing there, in the exact same spot, was a tall, dark haired, naked man with his back to her. As he reached for the clothes lying on the ground she gave a gasp, trying to get air back into her lungs. The man turned, stunned to see her but knowing she had seen him change form. Neither moved, eyes locked. Then he saw her eyes move down his body, and back up again, taking all of him in. She did not run, nor scream, seemingly rooted to the earth. He slipped his breeches on, then walked over to the edge of the glade, and held his hand out. After a moment she moved towards him, breathing deeply, caught up in the moment.

When she reached him, she took her hand and gently touched his face. "Sir Guy," she said softly, "it is you!" As she said it her knees gave out, and he caught her in his arms, gently settling her onto the grass, holding her close to his chest. When she opened her eyes, he was smiling, and touching her hair, brushing it away from her face. When she did not move, he gently laid her down completely, giving her the time she needed to recover her senses.

Sarah was not sure if moments or many minutes passed, but she was finally fully aware of her surroundings, and the man next to her. He was kneeling at her side, showing concern in his bright blue eyes.

"You are the wolf. You saved me from that vile man a few nights ago. You have been watching me ever since," she said. He wet his lips with his tongue, then gave a sigh. "You should not have seen my shift. I am sorry. I was careless. Please don't be frightened. I will never hurt you." Guy was still a bit stunned. Humans were never to know about his kind. It was safer for all. There were a few select people who did know of shifters, but none as young as this girl. Shifters guarded their privacy jealously, and for good reason. If humans had knowledge of his world, they would destroy it out of fear and ignorance. This was the very reason so few shifters were left in this world. Guy sighed. His carelessness had put her at great risk from other shifters, something he never meant to do.