Meeting Marion

Sarah was busy setting up her quarters. She has just finished putting her clothes away, and airing out the bedding, when she was summoned downstairs. She found a well-dressed young woman waiting for her. The girl was in riding breeches and boots, although she looked very much the lady. 

"May I help you?" Sarah was curious but felt she had seen the girl somewhere.

"I am Lady Marion of Knighton. We are neighbors. I live with my father, who has been quite ill. We have only recently managed to come home. I wanted to introduce myself, and offer our help, should you need it."

"I am sorry to hear about your father. Is he recovering?" Sarah asked, politely. 

Marion paused for a moment. "He is better, but recovery is still going to take some time. We had been staying at the castle in Nottingham when he fell ill, and we have just now returned."

'Ah!' Sarah thought, she had seen her at the castle, watching them meet with the sheriff and Sir Guy. Sarah led Marion into their parlor. "Please, sit, I will have some ale brought for us. I could use a break. It is very good of you to stop by, actually. I have heard from the locals about the Lady Marion. It seems they are quite fond of you."

Marion smiled. "I am afraid it is an exaggeration, on their part, but I am pleased they think well of me. My father was the sheriff up until he was replaced. He tried to be fair, and I would hope they would speak well of him also."

Sarah nodded. Not all she had heard had been good about this young woman. She had been linked to Robin of Loxley, and her reputation from that was not exactly stellar. But she had also heard words of kindness and generosity. 

Still, Sarah knew no one else in the shire, other than the sheriff and Sir Guy, and a few of the workers, so she found herself inviting Marion to her full moon party. "If your father is recovered enough, please bring him as well," she added. "I know my father would enjoy meeting him.  It is more of a thank you to the village for being so kind to us, as well as a get to know us kind of thing. I would like to have music and dancing, with a bonfire, food and drink."

The two young women chatted the rest of the afternoon away. Sarah did not bring up Robin Hood, and Marion didn't offer any thoughts on him either. But the two found many other things to talk about. Marion knew much about the shire itself, and her words were quite helpful as to where to seek medical care, or where to purchase decent meat and grain. Marion left before supper, wanting to check on her father and oversee his meal. 

Sarah wandered down to the stream, looking into the shadows beneath the trees for any sign of the wolf, but was met with disappointment. She knew it would probably be much later if at all. She stopped when she heard voices, a bit in the distance. She quietly moved towards the sounds. She paused just before a small clearing when she realized it was Marion talking to a man with sandy brown hair. He had a bow slung across his back, and the two walked close together as they spoke. 

"What did you think of the newcomers, Marion" the man asked. 

"She seemed quite nice actually.  I am hopeful they will be good for this community," Marion answered. 

The couple stopped. The man she was with glanced around, but missed seeing Sarah, who was well hidden. 

"You know Gisborne was here yesterday. If he is involved, I know it is at the sheriff's request. Either they are in danger, or complicit in his wrongdoings. We need to figure out which. I will leave that up to you," Robin said looking at Marion sternly.

"Robin, must you always be suspicious of Guy? Perhaps he was just introducing himself to the new members of the community, just as I did," she offered. 

Robin huffed. "No, when the sheriff and Gisborne are involved, you can be sure there is no good to be found."

Marion sighed. She knew Robin had good reason to be distrustful, but she felt that Sarah at least, had no knowledge of wrongdoing.

"I will find out as much as I can, Robin. It may take some time." Sarah could tell Marion was trying to appease the man in front of her, and she was quite sure she was smitten with Robin. 

So this is Robin Hood, she thought to herself. He did not look evil, but rather boyish. Sarah had pictured a tall man with a beard, but he was surprisingly short and fair. 

At that moment Robin kissed Marion. "Thank you, my love, I knew we could count on you. My gang will keep an eye on the place as well."

Robin disappeared into the trees, and Marion moved in the opposite direction mounting her horse, then rode away. Sarah stayed hidden for some time. This was not expected. What if his gang found the wolf and harmed it? How could she warn it. Maybe it would be best to simply stay away, and it would leave the estate. She finally shook off the dread and headed back to the house.  Her father was asleep in his chair by the fireplace, and she gently placed a small blanket over him, before heading to her room for the night.