Chapter 7 - Meeting Sir Raymond

Sarah watched as Gisborne left her briefly to fetch his horse, Jack. She walked slowly towards the dwelling she now called home. It was not as lavish as their city home, but she preferred it. The ivy and trees surrounding it were quite lovely. She smiled a secret smile, knowing whatever her father's rection would be, he would come to accept her choice. He would most certainly be shocked. Sarah had never agreed to courtship, although there had been several who asked her father's permission. She wondered how her father would respond to Guy.

Guy met the older man with a handshake. Sir Raymond was a bit surprised to see him back so soon, but when he looked into his daughter's face, he was certain of the motive. "Come Sir Guy, sit down and join me in a drink. I see we have much to discuss." Sir Raymond was not one to beat around the bush. 

Sarah left the two men to talk, deciding her presence was not necessary. She knew Guy was capable of handling it, so she went to her room to freshen up, and then have the servants set up for dinner. 

Guy watched her leave, then noticed Sir Raymond watching him intently. "Have you something to speak to me about, Sir Guy?"  Guy suddenly felt at a bit of a loss, then gathering his thoughts, he said, "I am here to ask permission to marry your daughter, sir." Sir Raymond was a bit startled at the man's abruptness. He raised his voice a bit, his eyes piercing the man before him. "You only met my daughter three days ago sir.! What leads you to believe she would accept a betrothal?" he asked sharply. 

Guy smiled. He knew Sir Raymond held his daughter in the highest regard, and would be loathe to part with her. "I believe she looks upon me with favor sir. And while I know this is quite a shock to you, I can promise you her happiness is my foremost in my thoughts."

Sir Raymond watched the younger man, his eyes sharp. "And what have you to offer her sir? What rank and title do you bear?"

Guy stood, his gaze intent. "I am knighted by the King, and presently living in Loxley. While the estate is not mine, it has been offered to me by the sheriff."

"You are not from Nottingham Shire, are you Sir Guy?  I detect a bit of a French accent in your words and speech. How did you come about here?"

Guy settled down in the chair once again. He relaxed a bit, knowing the man was accustomed to facts and clarity. "My mother was French. She married my father and after I was born, we moved here. He had been awarded the lands of Gisborne by the King for his service in the Holy land. Much as you have been awarded Wheaton. He contracted leprosy shortly after his return and was forced to leave us. My Mother and sister perished in a fire after his death,  which took my home. I was alone until the Sheriff took me in as a servant. I was able to attain knighthood through him. I can assure you I can provide Lady Sarah every comfort. Loxley is not as grand an estate as this, but it is fine, none the less."

"And does not Loxley belong to the Earl of Huntington? I believe in this shire you call him Robin Hood. What of his claim?" Sir Raymond was not uninformed. 

Guy was quick to answer. "Loxley will belong to me. Hood has forfeited his claim by his actions. Even the King will not overlook his thievery." 

Sir Raymond paused and took a draw on his pipe. He sighed, then looked up at the man sitting across from him. "I will discuss this with my daughter Sir Guy. Until I know her feelings, I cannot give consent or denial."

Guy looked troubled, and the older man smiled. "Come, come sir, if she is indeed smitten with you, no words I say will change her mind. Now, go find Howard, my man servant, and he can show you where to wash up for supper. I warn you, Sarah will not tolerate untidiness at table." At that, he roared out the man's name, and he stepped into the room, obviously waiting nearby. "Show Sir Guy where to wash up. He will be joining us for supper tonight." Howard bowed, replying, "Certainly Sir."

Guy enjoyed the roast lamb that night. But he enjoyed watching Sarah more. Every time she spoke, or laughed, the animal inside him perked its ears, or wagged his tail. He smiled to himself. Smitten. The wolf was perfectly smitten. In fact, leaving was going to be very hard. He needed to get back to Nottingham, and he knew his wolf would want to stay close by Sarah.

After the meal, he stood beside her, wishing to touch her again, but refraining. "I must leave you. I know your father wishes to speak with you in private. But I will return as quickly as possible, he told her. She smiled shyly, taking his hand, "I will wait for you in the woods, sir." 

As he left, his wolf was sending him thoughts and visions, 'protect, make cubs, den.'

Guy smiled, "I get it buddy. Soon."