Ch.1 "Catching Up with The Lakens"

If only the day was longer.

I couldn't finish my writing assignment on time, and I haven't even done the rest of my homework for college.

My eyes couldn't stay open any longer. My eyelids kept closing on their own and I tried so hard to keep them open just for a little bit longer.

Perhaps becoming a literature major student was a mistake.

Perhaps even going to university was a mistake.

Everything is so stressful. I'm always tired. There's always more homework and assignments. And there's no student who was particularly interested in talking to me.

I clicked on the mouse and turned my incomplete assignment in. I already emailed the professor asking if I could have a little more time but she refused.

I sighed and leaned back in my chair, staring at the screen.

At least I turned it in.

The door opened and my brother came in, one eye barely open, and asked "You're still up? Again?"

"Yeah..."

He walked over to me and put a hand on my shoulder. "Get some sleep. Studying isn't worth risking your health."

"I know..." and yet I always risked it.

He asked "Did you take your medicine?"

"I don't remember." I took a look at my medication calendar hanging on the wall above my bed. I didn't take my night medication yet.

"I'll bring you some water. Take your meds and sleep, okay? You have a busy day tomorrow." He patted my head and walked out.

I closed my laptop and did as he said.

~~~

Living in Ninjago city wasn't as exciting as I thought when I lived back at the volcano. After you spend a few months there, everything becomes normal. Well, the only good change was that there weren't any more attacks.

Garmadon is in prison. Some generals are also still in prison, some sentenced to shorter sentences than others. But all generals had to go through some checks and measures to make sure they aren't a danger to society.

Brandon joined the police force with his friend Charlie who was also a general. So now the lie to Jane on their first date that he was a policeman isn't a lie anymore.

And I was sitting in a wedding dress shop waiting for Jane to choose a dress and end my miserable impatience.

"I won't zip! Jess, come help me!" Jane called from the fitting room. Her pregnant older sister, Jess, sighed and went to her.

I took out my phone since they were obviously going to take a while.

Brandon and Jane are getting married. As for Lloyd and I, we're still together. He's on a training trip though and have been for a month. We can't send each other any texts or call because he doesn't have any signal. But I'm sure he's okay.

~

Lloyd was hanging off of a cliff with one hand.

The gigantic pink monstrous fish they've found was waiting for him to fall with its mouth open and sharp teeth ready to have lunch.

"Uh... guys! I need a little help over here!"

~

I wonder what he's doing right now.

Hopefully, he's still alive.

I missed him. Life is awful without him and Amy -since Amy is in a university overseas now-. I've been really lonely for a long time without them.

"How about this, Y/n?" Jane asked as she and Jess walked out of the fitting room.

"Awful." What a great sister-in-law I am.

Jane turned to Jess. "I told you a strapless won't fit me."

"Jane, for the love of God, choose a dress before my water breaks."

Some phone rang. It was Jess's.

"It's Charlie. He sent me a picture of him and Brandon with smoothies." She texted something and said, "They're meeting us at the café across the street."

Did I forget to mention that Jess is married to Charlie? And that they are the ones who set up for Brandon and Jane to meet in the first place?

Meh, whatever. You probably guessed it already.

~~~

"Oh no of course not, red won't look good," Jane said and sipped her smoothie.

"What do you mean? Red is the greatest color," Jess responded right after Jane answered about the color of the curtains she and Brandon were getting.

"Well, for a start, purple is the greatest color of all time."

"I don't think I agree with you."

Brandon asked, "Do I have no say in the situation?"

"Exactly," Jane answered.

"Hey! That's not fair!"

I want to disappear away from this dumb conversation.

"Y/n, are you okay?" my brother asked, looking concerned.

"Yeah, I'm totally fine."

"You zoned out."

"Really? I didn't notice." I asked, "Did you ask me something?"

"Yeah, I asked you about Lloyd. When is he and his friends returning? The wedding is just around the corner."

Oh. Yeah...They're late.

"I don't know. We can't text or communicate at all."

I stirred my smoothie with the straw and looked to the side. The street was very cute. Small shops in pastel colors and aesthetically pleasing decorations. There was even a bookshop to my right across the street beside a bakery.

How did I not notice it earlier?

The reader me was disappointed in myself.

It was a small wooden shop with a glass door and flower pots outside with lavenders and yellow roses as far as I could tell from where I was watching.

There was a spiral staircase inside in front of the glass door, and each step of stairs was full of books inside. The whole place looked very pleasing.

And oh my God, they have a chimney.

I want to go there.

Now.

The bookshop door opened and a guy walked out carrying a book.

Black jeans. Dark hair. Black leather jacket. A laptop covered in stickers of fictional villains.

My heart skipped a beat.