Chapter 3

Stoick, Gobber, and many other Vikings including the teens searched the whole village to find no signs of Hiccup. They headed to the woods to find strange footprints. "These footprints are so strange-" Tuffnut said as he brought his face closer to the footprint, inspecting it. "It is a dragon footprint, I'm very sure of that." Snotlout said as he pulled up Tuffnut away from the floor. 

"I've never seen these dragon footprints before.." Fishlegs mentioned as he flipped through his notebook filled with dragon facts. The Vikings followed the strange dragon footprints. It lead them to a cove. Stoick was the first to jump down. He spotted a shield that was stuck between two boulders. "This shield is from the arena.." Astrid said. 

The Vikings scanned the cove to find scratch marks and black scales. They also found some of Hiccup's drawings since they had his signature and handwriting on them. "These are night-fury scales.." Stoick said as he held one in his hand. Many black scales like these fell from different parts of Berk whenever the so called night fury appeared, which is why they were able to identify it was night fury scale. The man stared in horror as he connected the pieces together.

Astrid POV:

'He must have shot down the night fury, he didn't lie that night. He tried to kill it all by himself, all because we didn't believe him. no..no..he can't be dead..' I thought to myself as I stared in horror. I noticed something shimmering and shining in the water. I took a closer look and found a dagger that looked exactly like the one Hiccup always carried around with him.

3rd person POV:

After that night, many assumed Hiccup got killed by a night fury. The Vikings set up a funeral for Hiccup after. Many were devastated even those who disliked Hiccup and made fun of him, like Snotlout. Gobber was devastated that Hiccup was gone, killed. Hiccup was like a son to him, the son he never had. He missed his sassy and sarcastic apprentice. 

But no one was more affected than Stoick. He felt miserable, he blamed himself for not saving his son, for not believing him, for not listening, for not being there for him. Stoick stayed in his house for weeks. Because of this, Spitelout and Gobber had to be in charge of his chief duties. The whole village missed the boy, it wasn't the same without him.

Stoick sat in his chair as he stared into the fireplace that was lighting up the room. His mind wandered to his son, Hiccup. 'I should have listened to him that night, if I did, none of this would have happened. What kind of a father am I!? I should have protected him. I should have been there.' He thought to himself as he gripped the armrests of his chair. 

'I'm going to find that night fury. I'm going to avenge you, son.'