16

She had woken up earlier than the time she was supposed to. Aisha knew it was phobia that was dealing with her, she was afraid of meeting the second version of Jaafar in Al-qalam University. Nasir left yesterday, even though she didn't cry in front of him, she came back to her room and cried her eyes out. And now she wished he was together with her. She got ready and sat down on the vanity stool, looking at how cute the Hijab looked on her. She smiled to herself but there was a glint of tears from her eyes which she fought with utmost bravado.

Aishe knew if she was able to control herself today and she was able to fight off the coming back of old memories, she would be able to handle herself in every situation she found herself. She heard a soft knock on her door, she cleared her eyes once more and opened the door for Ya Firdausi. She entered and sat on the edge of the bed, while Aisha looked at her, waiting to hear what she was there was. She knew it was time to leave, but she dreaded the moment as much as she dreaded her death.

"Khalid will take you to the school and make sure he did all that's needed for you. You can come back home on a tricycle without much trouble, right?" Firdausi said as she scribbled the address on a notepad for Aisha to take along, in case she forgot what she told her.

Aisha nodded her head with a smile as she collected the notepad from her hand. She had asked her this morning whether she wanted a phone, and her answer was still a no. Se couldn't get to use a phone now until she was sure of herself. She was sure that even if she did, she wouldn't contact her Mommy. "I will, Ya Firdausi. You shouldn't beat yourself at it, please. Do you take Sudais to work?" She asked, looking at the small boy that was looking at her from the hands of his mother.

Firdausi stood up and answered her with a smile. They spoke with Mama on the phone today, and Aisha felt relieved. What bothered her was Nasir, she hadn't heard from him ever since he left. "Yes, I go with him. There's a kindergarten

across the street I work, that's where I keep him. Nasir called yesterday, it was late, I told him you were asleep."

"Oh, he arrived late because he didn't leave early." That was it, and because of this, she wished she had a phone. Because of Nasir.

She had prayers on her lips ever since they drove out of the compound with Khalid. They bid Firdausi goodbye who drove past them to her place of work. Khalid was helpful because Aisha couldn't imagine doing all these herself alone. He finished all that was needed to do and Aisha was handed her timetable and student ID card. She thanked and was showed to her department, where they were already having lectures.

She entered and sat down silently, and all those memories began flooding back to her brain before she felt a hand on her shoulder. Frightened, Aisha looked at the person and instantly her face broke into a grin. "Fatima!" she squealed as silent as she could suppress her happy voice.

"I kept looking around for you, I'm glad you came." They nattered for all the minutes left for the lectures to end, and Aisha had never felt as lightheaded as she felt unless she wa with Nasir. Fatima was the kind of person you can never be bored having a company with. She was glad she met him today.

She wasn't back home until 4 pm, and she had never felt this tired all her life. Thank you to Katsina sun for roasting her under her Hijab. Aisha met Firdausi watching television in the living room and she walked to her. "Good evening, Ya Firdausi." She greeted.

Firdausi smiled at her before she greeted back. "Good evening, Aisha. I hope you had a great day at school. You look tired. Bathe and come out and eat."

Aisha smiled weakly at her and nodded, she was about to enter her room when Firdausi yelled to her, "Aisha, Nasir had called me more than ten times today. You should get a phone, or I'm seriously putting his number in my blocked list." Aisha laughed and entered the room.