01

DISCLAIMER: WRITTEN IN 2019. UNEDITED.

The sun shone directly on her face as she got down from the tricycle she hired. She heard the sound her stomach made, reminding her of the hours she took without putting anything into her stomach. She put back her veil on and handed the man one thousand naira note. He scrunched up his face.

"I don't have any change with me, Hajia." He didn't even collect the money and she stood there looking at him. She was at the verge of bursting into tears. If only this man knew how tired, hungry and sleepy she was.

"What are we going to do then, Mallam?" She asked, looking around their area. She had no idea where she was going to get this change, and going into their house is not even the option. Because she knew her mother wasn't even around.

"Won't you look around one of these shops? Or that supermarket?" He suggested, and she heaved a sigh and walked towards the supermarket. She was acquainted with one of the workers there, and she prayed he was around to save her today.

She entered the supermarket and went over to the counter, and fortunately for her; he was around. "Hajia Aisha, how are you?" He smiled upon sighting her, and she smiled back.

She placed her hands over the counter and rested her head on it, she was truly tired. "Bilya, please I want you to help me with some change, the rider of the tricycle I hired has no change in him." She handed him the one thousand naira note and he hesitated before collecting the money.

"I'm sorry, Hajia Aisha, but I don't have change either. But how much do you need to give him?"

"It's three hundred nairas. If you have it, give me, please. I'll come back later for the change." She thanked him when he gave her the money and rushed outside. She gave the rider his money and brought out her key from her bag. She opened the house and entered, as she walked directly to her room.

She was doing her registration in Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, University, Bauchi state. And it was taking a toll in her. She had to wake up early and leave, but still; she will find a long queue at the school waiting for her. She was glad she had finished everything today and was to start going for her lectures next week.

A call came through her phone after she already had her bathe and prayed her Zuhr salah. She sighed and pulled the phone out of her bag, and her mother's name appeared. She picked the call and placed it on her left ear.

"Hello Mommy," she drawled, awaiting whatever it is she called to tell her.

Mommy smiled from the other end of the phone, she felt it. "Humaira, I hope you're back from school?" She asked.

Aisha nodded as if she could see her, "Yes Mommy, some minutes ago. I've had my bathe already. When are you coming back?" She knew asking this question was pointless. Because Mommy had never come back home early, even if she did, she had to go out again.

"I have a business to attend to, Humaira. I've cooked you some food before I left, you just have to warm it and eat. Also, on the generator, if there's no light. Don't ever open the door unless you hear my voice. Humaira, if you..."  Aisha chuckled a little and cut her Mommy off if this wasn't Mommy's mantra. She would love to know what is.

"If I see any guy intruder, I should call you immediately. But if I couldn't at the moment, there is a rod you kept under the three sitter sofa, one under my bed, and the other below your mirror. I should protect myself at all cost. I know it all, Mommy. Don't worry, I will be safe."

"That's my girl. If you're going somewhere, call me before you do so."

"I have to go to the supermarket and collect my change from Bilya, I had no chance with me to pay the rider of the tricycle that I had to collect it from him." She informed, as she stood up and started walking to the kitchen.