25

Aisha had never dreaded a day like she had dreaded this day. She spent the whole last seven days praying for a miracle to happen, the one that will have her out of this marriage, but none did. As she stood up from the vanity stool where the makeup artist had finished dolling her face up; she squeezed back her tears and imagined Mommy by her side. This was supposed to be the happiest day of her life, it was the exact opposite. She looked at her reflection in the mirror and smiled, a rueful smile as she lifted her hand and touched her cheeks.

She wanted to know if this was happening in her life if she was truly the one getting married today. And to no one but Abba Muhammad Tijjani, the man that claimed to love her. But she knew better to but that piece of cake. Throughout these seven days, she feared going out the living room in case she bumped on him. Mama made it all easier on her when she said she should stop coming out unless she needed something serious and there was no one closeby to get her that.

When Firdausi arrived, Aisha felt as if she would Nasir behind her. but he wasn't there, and she had cried every night because of Nasir more than she cried because of the marriage. "Can you please sit down so I'll get your headgear tied?" The makeup artist requested nicely and Aisha smiled and sat back done.

They were done and were taking pictures when the door opened, revealing a beautiful Fatime. The ever-smiling girl, she had a smile on her lips as well. "Aisha!" She squealed and hugged her from behind, careful not to disrupt the makeup artist from doing her job.

"Fatima! Ya Rabb, I'm glad you came." Aisha hugged her back when the headgear was all tied on her head. She looked stunning, like the bride she was.

The makeup artist excused herself and went out of the room, she had more faces to work on. Aisha looked at Fatima and hugged her once again. "You look beautiful;, Aisha. You're such a beautiful bride, Masha Allah."

They sat down on Aisha's bed and Fatima looked at her with her usual curious eyes. Aisha smacked her shoulder, "What? Stop giving me that look, Fatima!" Aisha exclaimed and looked away.

Fatima used her thumb and turned Aisha's face and they were looking at each other when Fatima spoke, "But Aisha, I want you to be honest with me. Who do you love among the brothers? It's not Abba." She conjectured, taking her hand's in hers.

Aisha shook her head and for the first time in a week, she succeeded in painting the fake smile she had been failing at. "No, he's the one I love. What happened? What did you see?" She was trying real hard not to smudge her makeup. Thinking about Nasir was the last thing she wanted to do today because she was sure it would crush her to the tiniest bits of her soul.

Fatima shook her head stubbornly, "No, he isn't the one you love, Aisha. Nasir called me yesterday in the evening and told me that his friend will bring something for me at night, he wants me to give it to you today. Now, tell me, who is it that you love between them?" Her eyes shoot straight to Aisha's heart and Aisha felt a sudden urge to see what that was.

"What did he give you? Can I see it?" She asked in one breath, looking around her to see whether she came along with it.

"They're in my car, quite heavy actually. He said I shouldn't give them to you unless the wedding is solemnized. Now, my question."

Aisha felt frustration surging through her heart, it was in all making her go crazy. She wanted to see what he sent for her more than she wanted for a miracle to happen that will stop her from marrying Abba. "Will you please give me the goddamn package, Fatima? I can't wait that long. Your answer is eyes, Nasir is the one I love." She ended her sentence as the stubborn tears that she had been fighting with rolled down her cheeks. This was the most painful phase of her life.