The shorter, the better

You were sitting at the library, preparing for your literature test. You hadn't slept well for several nights and all you did was yawn. Probably if you didn't spend your nights making out with your botany teacher, you wouldn't have any trouble sleeping.

It was something improvised, that no one could see it coming. Little by little, that trust you had with Marilyn Thornhill turned into something more than a friendship. You never asked why, or if she felt comfortable kissing a student. Certainly you didn't care much if it seemed good or bad to her, the point is that those shy encounters in the corridors, in the conservatory or in her room didn't stop.

You didn't even know if you were girlfriends, lovers or friends. You didn't know and you didn't want to know. As long as Marilyn didn't say anything about it, you could imagine whatever you wanted, and that was really, really funny.

You were almost the only person in the library. There was no people around you and that made you even more bored.

The sound of footsteps coming down the stairs distracted you from your "funny poetry study" and you looked up the stairs curiously. Your salvation slowly descended. Marilyn.

She looked around her and smiled as she spotted you, approaching you.

"Good afternoon," she said, sitting next to you. You looked at her with a frown.

"Good afternoon?" You asked, joking. She sighed and nodded.

"You never know who might be listening behind the shelves," she whispered to you, with a mysterious tone, as she took a stack of papers out of her bag.

" You paranoid, ahem," you said between coughs, dissimulating. She raised her eyebrows and shook her head.

Of course she was paranoid. She felt like a delinquent, loving a student, kissing her, biting her neck at night and whenever possible. You didn't understand that shy and reserved attitude she had with you during the day, but it was worth having a little patience. The nights were wild and full of passion.

"What are you doing?" She asked, pulling out a pen as well. You snorted and pointed to the huge literature book you had on the table.

"To die terribly of boredom," you whispered in a very low voice, seeing that the librarian was walking near you.

"You are very exaggerated," she whispered in your ear. Your hair stood on end when you noticed her breath. She always got those reactions.

"Exaggerated? Try to study all of this stuff without falling asleep, it's a challenge, I assure you," you said, yawning again.

Silence returned to the library. She seemed to be marking tests, including yours. Your height allowed you to see well over her shoulders. Naturally when she realized it she put her arms on top of the paper.

"Don't look, that's cheating," she told you, giving you a nudge. You smiled and shrugged.

"I deserve an A, you know that," you joked, following the old librarian with your eyes, who imposed the particular dictatorship of silence without any mercy.

"You are very sure of yourself," she whispered, winking at you.

You started playing with the pen, making funny faces at the redhead, bewildering her. She shook her head constantly, but she couldn't help but smile. There was a moment when Marilyn's hand reached under the table, grabbing yours and caressing it. You enjoyed those little clandestine gestures of affection. They made your heart beat too fast.

"Oh, my God," She sighed, letting go of your hand and getting up.

"What's wrong?" You asked.

"Wednesday Addams. She always goes beyond what I ask of her," she grumbled. You laughed, you knew your classmate well and you knew that if she wasn't the best at everything, she wouldn't be able to breathe comfortably.