Part 6 - Skirted

I never thought I'd ever wear a skirt, but here I was standing in front of Tess, ready to try one on. She was so excited and eager to help, it felt like I didn't have a choice. I took a deep breath and said, "Okay, let's do it."

She smiled and went to get a skirt that would match my nails. I couldn't believe I was about to do this. I was nervous, but I was also excited to see what it would look like.

"I'm not bringing it through! Come on, Maxine!" I grit my teeth as I hear that name again. I don't even hate it. I love my OC. I just don't know how I feel about being her yet. I'm sure that we are separate people. I follow Tessa back to her room.

"Mad to think that last time I was in here, you gave me these," I say, holding up my purple claws, miming a scratching motion like a cat with a violet manicure.

"And now, you'll be getting into a skirt that matches it! I hope you like wearing one. I've wanted a sister for so long!"

"I don't think I'll ever really be your sister, Tess. I'm just curious for how Maxine feels when she's dressed like that." Yeah, that's all it is. Curiosity at how she feels. Not curious in any way at all about how I would feel. How I will feel.

"I understand that. And please, don't do it if you're not comfortable." Tess reassures me. "This is just for fun. I won't take a picture, I won't do your makeup or anything like that. You asked how something feels. I think I'm just being a good sister by letting you try it out. Other sisters would flip their lid at hearing what I just heard from you."

"You're not wrong. No brother wants to be his sister's sister for real." A quiet nod between us and Tess turns around to rifle and rummage and rip through her wardrobe for an appropriate skirt. I see her piling them up. There must be 7...8...9...

"Sis, I can only wear one of them!"

"I know, but you might as well try different styles! And you might as well make sure to wear the one you like most."

"It's not certain that I'll actually like any of them." I'm still a boy. Still a young man.

"That's true. But you did ask. And think, you can tell your new friend all about it next time you two talk. Who was that anyway?"

"Oh, just a drawing pal I met online." I start blushing, knowing what I have to say next. "Her name is Avery."

"Oooh! Maxine's got a girlfriend!"

"I do not! We only just met." Tess smiles to herself as she keeps searching for skirts.

"You'll need your joggies off for this, by the way."

I reveal my hairy legs. "I don't think any of these will look good on my legs!"

"No, not with hair like that. You could shave them..."

"Nope. Not happening." A firm no, for a change.

"I'm just kidding. Don't worry about it. This is about feeling, not looks. And besides, where would I be if my own brother made a skirt look better than I did?"

"True! Neither of us want that! You can keep that accolade."

After another few minutes, now a lot colder than before with the lack of trousers, Tess lays - no joke - fifteen skirts out on the bed.

"This is about half the skirts I own. You can try them all, if you want."

My eyes widen. "You have thirty skirts?!"

"Closer to 40." My eyes widen again. "What? A girl needs options. Even a nerdy girl can be fashionable, you know."

"Jeez. I have maybe 6 pairs of joggies."