Part 37 - He Is Unaware

A couple of minutes pass, so not the sec she promised - an unrealistic expectation, in all honesty. I don't know why she said it.

Regardless, Tessa and her sodden raincoat return to the Nissan Micra. Her arms cradle bags of fast food like rugby balls. I recall the last time I was on a rugby field. Very brief and torturous was the experience, right before the attempted snapping of every part of my leg between two fridge-like boys. And from there, it was pretty much confirmation that I was a girl in more ways than just the mental and psychological. I didn't belong out there. I still don't. I'm even further from that now. I'm even ramblier than usual also.

"I just guessed. I think I remember your favourite order."

A quick inspection shows that she does indeed.

"I also got us ice cream. We both need it!"

"True. Bury me in it!"

"Bury us both. That's likely what mum wants to do - might as well make it taste nice! So what the hell happened?"

I look her in the eyes while digging into a piece of chicken.

"Promise me that you will believe this. What I say is no word of a lie."

"The world's turned mad enough for anything to be possible now. Go for it."

I recount the tale as best I can. It all seems like such a blur, even if it only took place about an hour ago. I try to really stress the weirdness of the room - the strange temple the witchy woman led me to and the ritual she tried to conduct (and maybe succeeded, as if I can even begin to know. She might have been aiming to turn my bones to jelly. I truly don't know.)

"I see why you didn't think I would believe you. So they've had you lay a curse on my name? That's cool. I've read that sort of thing happening in a bunch of books right before the one who was cursed dies." She seems awfully calm for someone who might be destined to soon die. "I wouldn't buy it though. This is the real world. That sort of stuff doesn't work."

"I hope you're right. If not, we're both doomed. I can't think the deities were a fan of my early departure."

She smirks.

"So you finally said no?"

"I guess I did, yeah." I dip a chip in the tiny plastic pot and swirl it around like I've seen Tess do with a stirrer in a coffee. "Enough people yelled it at me. I guess it finally got through."

"Molly will be so proud of you."

I figured they would be speaking to each other, so my sister feels no need to spell it out. She wouldn't know otherwise.

"I guess she will be. So I have that, I guess, whatever else comes my way."

"Not just that. Dad and I are proud of you, too." And she turns her head to her phone, which is in its little holder on her dashboard. I usually only see it used for playing music, but she has a call open. "Right, Dad?"

"That's right. This clearly means so much to you, but it's nice to finally see you come to terms with the person you are."

"Dad? I had no idea you would be involved. I thought you were staying out of it."

"And let my youngest suffer? Never. No, I just needed time to bring Mum around on it. To convince her that you mean what you say and to convince her that you need to be given the chance to do this. This is a potential mistake that we, as parents, need to allow you to make."

His words cause me to almost choke on a bite of my dinner. I know he didn't see what went on in the bizarre ritual room, but come on! He has to know Mum has lost the plot entirely on this thing.

"I don't think you've convinced her. She took me to some psychotic lady and had me say some ancient oath. This really hasn't gone down well with her."

"Right... well, I can assure you, she never said anything like this to me. I can't believe she would lie over that."

Tess, infuriated, jumps in and yells over me.

"She's hiding it from you because she doesn't accept that Max is a girl! That's all it is!"

"Yes, I understand. No need to shout. It's... well, what do I do about that? Max, how can I help you? What can I do to make this all better for you guys?"

"Max needs a safe space to become the girl he wants to be. He needs acceptance, and he needs guidance. He needs Mum to be less bigoted or paranoid. He needs his family to support him fully! Her, even! She and her!"

She turns to look at me.

"I'm not perfect in all this. I've not been perfect at all since the start."

"I've got to go kids. Love you both." He hurries to hang up. I hope I didn't disturb his meeting. It would be low down on my recent inconveniences caused, but it would count.

Wow. Rude. Tess is just starting another monologue!

"Guess I'll just go f*ck myself then, huh?" And a teary giggle escapes from her as she takes a large gulp of her drink.

I laugh too hard to speak, rivers still meandering down my stuffed face. I'm glad I don't try a pun or anything based on what she actually said. It would have been weird if I had stayed on topic just there.

"I really don't know what we can do from here. Mark my words - you will be a free girl soon."