Part 32 - Dakota

Laura sits me in her streaming lair and I'm already sinking into the plush cushioned back and base of the seat she says is reserved for guests. She sits in a gaming chair when streaming, and the couch is mostly used for decoration.

"It's a lot better for the viewers to make it look like a regular old room instead of the real operation. That's why I have this chair. It just so happens it also makes a pretty ideal makeup-setup. Now, just don't slip down the back of those cushions, small-fry!" She giggles. "You're OK with being called small-fry, right? I was going to do it anyways, but best I check!"

"Yeah, I'm OK with that." I close my eyes, impressing Laura already.

"Wow. I didn't even ask you to do that. Your sis has clearly taught you well!"

"Yeah. More experience with makeup than most boys!"

She applies what can best be described as 'streamer makeup' - she keeps the base natural but unleashes this pearlescent light-purple shade that catches the beams from the bulbs in her streaming lab and unleash a spectrum of colours which burst from each eyelid. She adds a bold liner flick, more akin to an eagle's wing than a cat-eye.

"Your eyes just scream 'dark and broody'. Ever thought about being goth?"

"Hadn't considered it. I just wear what I wear."

Almost singularly focused, she continues. "Goths are mega popular. And they don't just wear black, despite common misconceptions. One of my best pals is a goth but loves her rainbows. It's just a style, you can take it wherever you want to. But," she opens a small white tube, "black lips are usually a must for that. Hold them exactly where they are."

This stuff is colder than most I've tried before. It feels stickier as well, and there's a faint menthol taste to it all. It's gross, but since edible quality isn't the priority for makeup, we can let it off with that. I'd be more concerned if it tasted nice. It would be a red flag against Laura, too.

"Oh yeah." Laura pops the lid back on tar-esque lipstick. "You look properly broodish now! I think we can properly lean into it all the way." With those words, she almost skips - in heels, I remind you - over to her 'on-set wardrobe.' It is behind her streaming deck and fake bedroom set. "This is where I keep my... spicier outfits. My more outgoing stuff - exactly what you need for debuting on the livestream."

Inside, I'm a mess. I don't even know if I'm ready for this level of exposure... or this level of girlishness!

Laura comes back with a tiny PVC leather dress in all black. It's not something I can even begin to see myself suiting. It's far too bold and tight and I can only picture myself as a walrus trapped in a bin bag. My face must speak enough for the rest of me. She picks up on my unwillingness without a word.

"Nope. I can tell you aren't feeling that outgoing yet! Sorry, I might come across as being too pushy and wanting to take you from zero to a hundred right away."

"It's alright. I'm known for being a buzzkill."

"Get ready for that to change. You'll have all the buzz imagineable once the world sees you this way. Let's just go with the original plan. We'll put you in a skirt and pair it with your hoodie. You might not pass, but it isn't exactly important." She grins to herself. "Some would honestly prefer it if you don't."

Choosing to ignore her, or panicking inside at having more people see me like this, no words escape as she dresses me appropriately. Once I'm skirted, she brushes a final coat of glitter over my cheeks and nose.

"The nose catches all the light. You want that thing to glow!"

Laura is very excited. And I am, too, but in a different way. Her excitement is pure joy. Mine is the kind you get before going on a scary ride. I have things in my brain telling me right now to back out.

"So your hair. Want to keep it natural or needing a wig? I've got a blue one that'll work well for a streamer girl."

I nod. She ensures it fits right and looks the part.

"Now, do you want to go by Maxine on stream? Or just Max? Or something totally out there?"

I've been considering fake names over and over. I've landed on one I think I like. It's enchanting and mysterious, much like my overworked mind. It's also slightly Japanese-sounding, without being inappropriate for a girl like me to have. And it won't be traceable to Max.

"Call me Dakota, if that's OK."

"Pretty choice, Dakota!"

The red light flickers on her expensive camera. It's certainly capturing me like this, and it will soon broadcast it to however large Laura's audience is.

"Anything you need before we go live?"

I would be lying if I didn't ask to use the bathroom. That would provoke suspicion from others. Laura just smiles.

"Tess did say you get like that when you're pretty. Don't worry, I'll get them warmed up. You go... deal!" And she smirks and giggles. I think she has the wrong idea.

In just a few minutes, I'm back. The pressure inside me has dropped a little. I'll be able to do this. This is surely what I want!

Laura is speaking to her audience as I return to the room.

"So... everyone watching. Oh, and Luna, especially. I have a new friend here with me today!"

Luna? No way! THE LunaBunny? It must just be a coincidence. The responding voice is more than loud enough for both of us to hear her unmistakable Irish accent.

"Let's see! What stuffed animal is it today?"

Without thinking, my tongue forces a reply.

"Not a very nice thing to call me, Luna!"

Laura turns as she pushes her chair slightly towards the window-wall of her room and gives space for the second chair to wheel its way into view.

"Ohhh! Who do we have here? Laura's friend?"

"Friend. And protégé. This is Dakota." Laura smiles as she looks in my eyes. I'm unmasked. Nothing is hiding who I really am, save for the blue wig on my head and all the makeup.

And just like that, all the stress disappears. I'm Dakota. Holy sh*t. I'm Dakota! That's me!

I mainly spectate as Laura plays games with Luna. The Irish lass keeps inviting me to play, so I eventually join in on the split-screen or taking turns on Laura's side with her.

What feels like an hour is actually five. The sun sets behind us through the window, but this false streaming paradise clouds all reality. Being Dakota makes everything else obsolete.

It's Tess who comes to collect me. If it was Mum, I'd be ready to die. She'd likely be ready to kill. I return the wig and skirt, but Laura insists that Tess sees the look she gave me hours ago. It has held up surprisingly well!

"Hey, Maxine! Or should I say, Dakota? You looked like you were having fun!"

"Dakota is just a stage-name. I thought it would be better to hide myself behind it. It's not my real name... not yet, at least."

Our pleasant chatter and promising planning ceases when Mum is standing at the front door as Tess pulls the car up to its regular parking space. She makes no attempt to speak, but the face alone tells me that she is distraught.