Guys Like Me

Eric's pov

I set my guitar down. "OK this is for all you girls who fell in love with a country boy." I say. "I wear a greasy ball cap. I like my shirt untucked. I spend Saturdays working on my truck, I don't like to fight but I ain't scared to bleed. Yeah most don't mess with a guy like me." I sing, with the crowd yelling.

Miranda's pov

I can't believe I'm missing the Eric Church concert, all because my dad doesn't think it's a good fit for me. I love country music! I've been looking forward to this show for weeks. He burned my ticket. I'm sobbing on the couch while he works on his accountant work.

*the next day*

Eric's pov

I'm real tired after last night's show. I keep my ball cap low. I don't want to be bothered by fans today. I order a coffee. There's a girl crying in the booth, close to me. I shrug and take my hat off and scoot in across from her. "hey, why ya cryin'?" I ask. "my dumb dad wouldn't let me go to my favorite country singer's show last night." she says, without looking up. "who's show?" I ask even though I think I already know. "Eric Church. He kicks butt." she says, looking up. Her jaw drops and I smile. "it's you!" she gapes. I nod. "guilty." I say. "so you like my music." I make conversation. She nods. "love it. Your song homeboy speaks to me. And country music Jesus, if only that really happened." she says, making me laugh. "so what's your favorite song?" I ask. She thinks for a moment. "probably sinners like me." she says. I stand up. "I'm sure you're a sinner like me so join me for a private concert?" I ask. She laughs at my word play. "wow, I'd love to!" she says, super excited. I take her hand and we go to my old pick up truck. I drop the tailgate and pull out my guitar. "I was 15 when my daddy's old man caught me halfway through my first beer. He laughed so hard when my face turned green. He said ya come from a long line of sinners like me." I sing that song and sit on the tailgate beside her. "I never did get a name." I say. She smiles. "oh my name, I don't know if you're ready for that." she flirts. I laugh. "oh really. I don't know if you're ready for this." I reply, kissing her. Nope she wasn't ready for that because when I pull back her eyes are wide. "well then, my name's Miranda by the way." she says. "I thought I wasn't ready." I joke. "you passed." she replies, kissing me again.
Miranda's pov

My phone rings but I throw it to the side. "Ya gonna get that?" He asks. I shake my head and put my hands on his shoulders. "thanks for cheering me up." I say, leaning in for another kiss which he gladly accepts.

Her dad's pov

I get in my truck, headed for her usual hangout because she isn't answering her phone. I pull up and see her kissing some farmer's son! She is better than that! I slam open the door, yelling her name.

Miranda's pov

I jump out of my skin and Eric's strong loving arms when I hear my dad's voice. "d-dad, what are you doing here?" I ask. "looking for you! Ya didn't answer your phone. And I see the reason is you're locking lips with someone who will never amount to anything!" He yells. "don't you say that! He's amazing and he's already amounted to something! He's a famous country singer! Everyone wants to see him in concert!" I scream. "this is the guy you cried about not getting to see." He says, staring at Eric. I nod and stand in front of him, knowing what he plans to do. He can hit me but not Eric. All he did was comfort a lonely girl. "You went to college! You deserve someone like a ceo or an accountant!" He gripes. "I don't want some snooty rich jerk. I want a caring backwoods redneck who knows how to treat a girl." I say, glancing back at Eric. He smiles and holds my hand. "I could get you out of here. I've got the tour. You'll be happy." He says. "I would love that." I whisper, kissing his soft lips. My dad yells in rage and I stand my ground but Eric pulls me behind him and shields me with his body, receiving the blows from my furious father. We get in his truck and drive away. "so ya went to college?" He asks. I nod. "lemme guess ya pulled graveyard." I joke. He laughs. "maybe sweet girl. Do you mind dirty hands?" He asks. I shake my head. "that's the best kind of hands." I whisper, resting my hands on Eric's chest as we kiss.