005, coworkers

MESSY
005, coworkers

" IM GOING TO MISS YOU." Drew's words reverberate from his lips to mine that are still firmly pressed together, waiting in the doorway for his can which should be here any second now.

I nod, " how much?" I ask as I feel a smile break against his beforehand glum lips. Pressing them to mould together once more. It gives me my answer but it doesn't seem to at the time.

He's been my safety net for the last eleven months, he's been near me always — the longest time apart being a week or two. It would've been longer but I fly out and surprise him, although we both know it's more for me than it is him.

We share a apartment in New York when he comes to see me whilst I was working on broadway and I would come to the house he was sharing with the obx cast when he was working ( which they love, because they adore me and my 'adorable' British-ness)

I move, pulling him into an embrace. The make or break of acting couples is when they're both busy, working. No time for one another especially when there's time zones like ours — we'll have to calculate time, which takes time that we don't have.

The sound of wheels churning against gravel makes me feel slightly sick. I know he actually has to leave now, I offer to help him with his cases he declines and instead I follow behind as he places his bags in the boot  of the car.

My arms folded as the door of the car opens and drew looks at me. I offer a small smile " you'll call
me when you land, let me know that you're ok." I ask.

Nodding " of course I will, you'll probably get a million calls off of the Maddie's." He tells me and I smile even brighter.

" but I am doing prep today, so I will try my best to answer." I tell him and his face falls slightly, but I try to look like I don't notice it and we can stay in this bliss forever.

That he won't be hundreds of thousands of miles away, and I won't be playing love interests with a man I know Drew still thinks I dated.

He nods, " laters hartley." he moves is head down and I leap at the opportunity to kiss him. Arms wrapping around his shoulders. I can feel his grip tighten on the car door hinge.

The kiss lasts a little longer than they usually do when we're saying goodbye to each other. Maybe because it feels like a goodbye goodbye, not a month or two. I hate to think it, so I miss him harder hoping he knows that this goodbye is going to end soon, and it's a temporary thing.

I pull away " see you soon, starkey." I say and he presses a brief kiss to my lips again before pulling away.

I step back, watch with folded arms only a metre away from the car as he drives off. Waving at me until he's out of eyeline, I hope he waved a little longer than that though.

Exhaling before wondering back into the house. It's still early, nobody is up. Yet I don't think I'll be able to go back to sleep with half the bed now empty — the first time it has been in months.

Rubbing my tired eyes as I pull my legs to the kitchen, navigating a stove top kettle and placing it on the hob. Grabbing my ' I love NYC' mug I brought in duty free at JFK on the at out here and the British tea bags ( PG tips for the win!) I have bulk brought for times were I travel out of the country.

I position myself leant against the side of a counter as I heat up the water — I feel strange, alone despite being in a house with people occupying each bedroom. I've spent the last ten months finding some comfort in Drew that I feel lost when he's not here, even though it's been a matter of minutes since I saw him last.