010, he feels like home

MESSY
010, he feels like home

WE TRY TO LEAVE EARLY, ME AND DREW. Because despite his best efforts to be sociable at the table, I feel his hand grip mine tighter each time he fails to suppress a yawn. Which goes from a once in a half hour occurrence to once every few minutes.

The last time, I turned my head from one of Ryan's stories about a time he accidentally got locked out from the red carpet of his first film premiere — Drew is trying to keep up, I can tell but as his blinks become longer due to the heaviness of his eyes I squeeze his hand and his head turns, the smile that curves his lips slightly lob-sided as I word ' do you want to go back?' from across the table.

his head shakes although I know it's a lie, ' I don't want to make it weird," he mouths back as i pinch my brows and shake my head subtly.

' you won't, they'll understand.' he hums lowly, so I smile gently and squeeze his hand.

' so, do you want to head back?' I ask again and he nods.

' please.' he mouths, I surpress my widening smile as I look back at the group — startled but not surprised as Callum's gaze sits on me, eyes heavy and lips downturned slightly. Most likely watching me and Drew talk in a code not dissimilar to the way we used to, before we knew each other well enough to not even have to part our lips to talk.

I look back at the group, waiting for a moment where I'm able to interject — and when it comes I fake a small cough to gather attention " me and Drew are tired, I think we're gonna head back to the house."

I push out my chair as I notice all the nodding heads and small parting words and waving hands. Until a voice erupts from the pleasantries,

" it's only nine." Callum sounds snarky, as I push my chair in and feel Drew coming in closer, "we're all off tomorrow, stay." he continues.

Drew laughs; and it makes me body tense. It's less of an amused laugh and more of a ' what is this guy saying' kind of laugh. I've heard it once before in the flesh.

In a bar in New York after a show, I think me and Drew were in our first argument. I ran late leaving the show so we missed our reservation at a restaurant he had booked.

After some raised voices and insults that neither of us meant, we ended up in this bar a few buildings down from the restaurant.

Some drunk guy after a few times of trying to start a conversation I didn't want to have pulled up one of my nude scenes in peaky blinders on the stool next to us.

It was only top half and either way I wasn't ashamed of it ( but then again that wasn't the point). And with a tight hold on Drew I managed to stop Drew from reacting, but when the same guy asked Drew if ' they're as nice to hold as they look on screen' ( a direct quote may I add ) and I heard a similar sort of laugh leave his lips. I knew it wasn't going to end well. One angry Drew and thrown drink later, we were kicked out the bar.

" I've been up ten o'clock last night if we're going by American time zones." Drew says, clearly having little patience because he doesn't like Callum. For a multitude of reasons if I'm being honest.

1. he was an ass the few times they've met in person ( I guess...today included)

2. how he handled our friendship, or lack thereof now

3. Drew still thinks Callum and I dated, or hooked up, or had some sort of intimate relationship in our almost decade long friendship.

The third one I can't blame, I wouldn't be too keen on the idea of Drew being in a film with his ex girlfriend, especially as love interests.