Chapter 17|| Inventing

(Y/n)'s POV:

   I sat in the Pines's kitchen surrounded by 3 blankets and both Dipper and Ford sketching ideas. Mabel had sent her friends home after finding out of my sickness, in fears of them catching whatever I caught.

   Observing the people around the kitchen, I realized how much these strangers have truly warmed up to me in the past few days. I smiled as my eyes landed on Mabel, standing in front of the stovetop pouring her whole heart into some homemade soup to help my cold. On the other hand, Ford and Dipper were helping out in a different way-- with Bill. Looking at both of them they sat in front of me, talking quietly while trying to figure out how to invent something useful. Ford brought one of his old inventions to the table, wanting to improve it to help monitor my dreams. They sat behind it, quickly inspecting it and writing down any important information. Within a few minutes, Mabel arrived with some soup in a bowl. I said a small thank you to her as I began taking the broth into my mouth.

   "Good news," Ford started, "I'm pretty sure we are able to complete the machine before you fall asleep next. Bad news is that your parents are probably going to want you back home, seeing as you've been here for two days now." I shook my head at his words while also enjoying Mabel's soup. Ford looked back down at his notes, double checking his work. "You're probably right. Will this take you guys all day?" Dipper gave me a small nod, yet Ford gave a heavy sigh. "Yes, but only if we start working soon-- without distractions." He gave a small side eye to Mabel.

   "Mabel can take you home and stay with you, making sure you stay awake. Then once Dipper and I finish the machine, Dipper will take it over to your house to get it situated before you fall asleep. The machine will be able to connect here while at your house, sending whatever data it picks up to me." 

   Once Ford was done describing what should be done for the rest of the day, Stan ended up taking Mabel and I to my house. Mabel and Stan sat in the front, deep in conversation while Mabel also bobbed her head to the quiet music playing. Meanwhile, I sat in the back wrapped in a blanket stuck in my own thoughts. I forgot about what happened in my dream last night, being too distracted with my new found sickness. How did Mason find out where I was that night? On the other hand why would he have those knifes in his bathroom? There were too many questions that I wanted to ask.

   Normally in my dream-nightmares, the Gleeful twins and Bill don't show up in the same one. Yet, last night it happened. What was so different about last night that caused both to appear? Was it because I saw Bill in the woods before I had fallen asleep or was it a coincidence.

   And what was the cause of this new sickness? I typically don't get sick much, especially in the dead of summer. Is it all these dreams or was it because I somehow forced my way out of my dreamworld. Or was my body just tired from dealing with both Bill and Mason?

   Now that the Pine's are going to monitor my dreams, will they also know of this alternate universe? I can't help but feel nervous with how they will react. Along with this, how would the Gleeful twins react to finding out I'm not really from their universe? Altogether there was just too many things to worry about in this specific moment.

-

   Once Mabel and I arrived to my house, Mabel gave a small introduction. She and I quickly explained that she was here to hang out, and that her brother would be here later to get her since she didn't have her license yet (I head cannon that Mabel is an absolute nutcase on the road and has major road rage especially when someone doesn't use their blinker LMAOO). She really seemed to hit it off with my parents, both of them really enjoying her spunky and positive attitude.

   For the rest of the day, Mabel and I hung out in my room, getting to know each other better. We both bonded over enjoying creating things with our hands, despite it being different. She really enjoys scrapbooking and knitting, and also subtlety hinted that she has already started something for myself. Along with her creativity's she explained how she put on a full sock opera just to impress some guy her first year in Gravity Falls.

   In no time, someone knocked on my door. Opening the door, we found it to be Dipper, holding his backpack up by the two straps around his arms. He quickly came into my room and set his bag on my bed, getting set up as fast as possible. "We only have a few minutes before your parents get suspicious. We can't afford to have them know anything of what is happening to you." He quickly stopped and locked worrying eyes with me before continuing the set up. He placed the medium sized machine on my bedside table and started adjusting it.

   While he got it all set up I quickly got ready for bed, washing my face and teeth along with changing into pjs.

   I walked out of my bathroom to see Dipper and Mabel talking quietly together. Dipper saw me walk out and immediately stopped talking, "Are you ready?" His face was very still, looking very serious and stuck in thought. It seemed this topic really bugged him. I took a deep breath in, before saying, "I guess."

|~|~|~|~|

972 Words

(A/n: Hiya! I am currently sitting here unable to think of words to write to anyone reading this... Let me explain my- lovely year away- vacation. So a few years back, I had to kill my old laptop (had just gotten old and wouldn't turn on). So for a few years I only was updating on my phone. But as of recently, I have received an early grad gift of a MacBook Pro! (Yes, I am officially a senior 😧, I think I started this book in middle school😃) I hope this brings joy to some people that I have began to update the story again, even though it has been ongoing for 5 years.... :000. I might have some ideas that have been curating in my head for the past year or also in the past two days, I am unsure. ANYWAYS ENJOY PLEASE <3)