-1-

I sat with my butt on my heels, not minding the stinging pain my legs gave, glancing over to the information located on his cell. Zenitsu: quiet, quick, curt. Age: 10.

"What do you want?" I heard an empty voice ask, returning my gaze back to the boy to see him now glaring at me.

I smiled warmly. "I'm Y/n." He looked taken aback slightly, glare faltering into a cautious gaze. "I was hired to help the remaining demons become adoptable."

He scoffed, rolling his eyes before a flash of light and- bam- he was in a different corner of his cell. "Well, buzz off."

I pursed my lips. "Zenitsu, I don't know what they've done to you, but I hope to make them realize that you are a wonderful boy. One day, you'll become adoptable, I promise."

"I don't need your empty promises!" He snarled, appearing at the bars and banging on them harshly. "I don't ever want to get adopted. I'd rather rot in this cell."

"And why is that?" I asked, not flinching when he suddenly banged on the bars.

"As if I'd tell you." He snapped, gazing at the door and just stopped talking. I raised a brow, following his stare.

A doctor peaked his head in, nodding at me before fixing his glare at the demon caged in front of me. "You better be respectful, you pathetic creature. Wouldn't want to go back to the basement, would you?"

I heard Zenitsu's breath hitch, and suddenly he was in the corner farthest away from me, hyperventilating. My eyes widened, standing- ignoring the pain that flared up from the motion- and stalked my way over to the doctor. I grabbed him by the collar, pulling him centimeters from my face.

"If I ever hear you threaten a child again, I will tear you limb from limb and feed you to the very creatures you call pathetic." I warned, releasing him and smirking as he fell on his ass with eyes wide in fear. "Demons should be praised. Cared for. They are a beautiful species that- even despite being stronger than humans- still choose to obey and listen to us. You should be thankful I don't release Zenitsu and let him kill you for the way you treated him."

"Y-you can do t-that?" The doctor asked fearfully, glancing behind me.

I merely held up the shiny silver card, making a shooing motion and chuckling when he went scampering away. Probably went to his boss to declare he's quitting. I turned back around, sitting as I was before and bowing my head in shame. "I'm deeply sorry for that man's actions, Zenitsu."

There was stuttering before I heard movement. "D-don't worry about it. We all get treated like t-that."

I raised my head, my gaze sharp in anger as I glanced over to the other cells that were covered. One day at a time, Y/n...

"Why...?"

I tilted my head at his almost silent question. "What?"

"Why'd you... defend me? Like that?" He asked in what seemed like disgust.

My eyes softened. "Oh, Zenitsu..." His eyes snapped up to mine, shocked at my tone. Slowly, I reached a hand out and through the bars, gently laying it on his own. "Because, I believe with my whole heart, you can change. And you can get adopted. When that happens, I'll be happy to take you home with me to my other kid."

"You already have a demon?" He asked skeptically.

"I do. Her name is Nezuko." His cautious demeanor faded, raw shock and desperation setting in.

"Nezuko?! Is she okay?" He asked quickly, standing.

I stood too- grimacing as the fabric of my leggings shifted, but covering it by raising a brow. "You know my kid?"

He nodded quickly. "Her brother is still here! We used to play games with each other before..."

I pursed my lips in understanding, reaching out and sliding my card through the reader. I smiled as the button turned green and Zenitsu's enclosure started opening. He instantly ran to his corner again, eyes frantically looking around at the open room in fear. I sat crouched down, opening my arms to my side. Stupid ass cuts-

"Zenitsu, I declare you adoptable." I smiled, his eyes lighting up in shock.

"You can't do that!" He argued, squinting at me. "Doesn't the government have a whole process?"

"How would you know?" Realization dawned on him. He didn't. He didn't know anything. "You'll get to see Nezuko."

"You're adopting me?"

I nodded. I watched the contemplation set in. And with his record speed, he was soon in my lap with his arms wrapped around my neck tightly and legs on my hips. I smiled as I stood, casually strolling around the facility.

Zenitsu grumbled something, gaining my attention. "What was that?"

"It's too loud."

I reached into my pockets and pulled out my wireless earbuds, placing them in his ears and turning some soft, lofi beats on. I chuckled when he sighed and cuddled further into my body. Well, aren't you just the cuddle bug?