-10-

The car ride back was mostly quiet, only my random sighs and Shinjuro's soft breaths. I jumped when I felt one of his fingers run over the cuts he gave me earlier, assessing the injury. He pulled back, looking guilty for startling me.

"Hey, it's okay." I assured. "I just wasn't expecting it. Kinda got lost in my own head while I was driving."

"I'm sorry." I almost didn't catch his apology. He spoke so softly and was looking away from me, that if I hadn't been focused on him, I probably wouldn't have heard him.

I grabbed the hand that I had been rubbing back, squeezing once and giving him a small smile. "You don't have to be sorry. You were protecting your son, as you should. In fact, I'm proud of you. Not many people can land a hit like that on me."

I saw him shy away again. I sighed, pulling the back of his hand to my lips and kissing it softly. "You're a good person, Fireball. Don't let anyone tell you anything different. Okay?"

"But-"

I shot him a glare that held no bite, seeing him swallow. "For your sons?"

"Okay." He sighed, causing me to smile and put the car in park as I pulled up to the house.

Both of us got out, him grabbing Rengoku as I grabbed Senjuro- both were still out cold. I noticed Shinjuro pause mid-step, causing me to turn back and notice his eyes widened as he looked up to the house. I followed his gaze, smiling when I saw a new floor forming before our eyes.

"How...?" Was Shinjuro's breathless question.

I held my injured arm up, his eyes almost bulging out of his skull when the cuts healed in seconds. I smirked, "I'm not exactly human."

"You're... You're a demon. That's why you have such a powerful aura surrounding you." Shinjuro rambled, and I held up a hand to pause his train of thought.

"I'm a hybrid." I simplified. "My mother is a demon, and my father is human. I have two elder brothers who are both full demons, but I was the only sibling who appeared human. As I grew older, the more my mother and father argued about my species. I appeared human, but held demonic powers. My mother wanted to turn me into a full demon, but my father didn't see why she needed to. By the age of 12 I ran away and created this out of an anxiety attack. I've been living here ever since."

I gave him a brief summary of what happened, but also not the full truth. No one needs to know. It's my secret.

"Sounds... stressful." Shinjuro offered.

I scoffed out a laugh. If only you knew the whole story. "Yeah."

Shinjuro must've picked up on how I didn't feel like discussing the topic anymore, and dropped it. I didn't bother to knock, knowing none of my kiddos should be awake right now. I was pleasantly surprised when I felt an instant attachment to my leg, looking past Senjuro to see Nezuko hugging me tightly. Any tighter and blood might ooze through my leggings...

A light clicked on, Tanjiro, Zenitsu, Genya, Muichiro, and Yuichiro all seated on the couch, glaring at me.

"Uh... Good morning?" I waved awkwardly.

"Why'd you leave at 4am in the morning, and not tell anyone?" Muichiro pouted, climbing down and hugging my waist. Thank goodness it's the waist. "I missed you, Mama."

I sighed, rubbing his head soothingly. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you guys, I just couldn't sleep."

"So leave at the butt-crack of dawn and don't tell anyone..." Yuichiro muttered, crossing his arms.

I feel like this is what a teenager feels like when they try to sneak out and get caught... "Technically, I left a note on each one of your nightstands. If you were careless enough to breeze right by it, that isn't my fault." I watched in amusement when their faces fell, all looking at each other with the same guilty expression.

"Oops..." I heard Zenitsu whisper.

I chuckled. "I promise I'll explain exactly what happened over breakfast, but you all should go back to sleep. Plus, I have to get our new friends situated."

Only then did my kiddos seem to notice the three new people in the room. I saw Tanjiro's eyes light up in realization. "Senjuro!"

"SHH!" All the other kids shushed him. I heard a snicker behind me, seeing Shinjuro wearing an amused expression as well.

"Everyone, go to bed. Now. Or I'll make you do chores alllll day tomorrow." I knew my threat was empty- I'd never make children clean this place. It's too huge.

I heard a dramatic gasp, looking over to Genya. "You wouldn't dare."

"Would I?" I spoke questionably, tapping my chin. "I think I may, Tiger."

All the kids ran down the hall, giggles bouncing off the walls before it was silent again. I sighed, a content smile on my face.

"I didn't realize you were so good with kids, nor that you'd let them try to scold you like that," Shinjuro chuckled.

"It just shows they care." I replied, leading Shinjuro up the new flight of stairs and to a doorway.

I pushed it opened, glancing all around the new space. I was blessed with a photographic memory, so I instantly remembered everything around me. I walked further down the hall, opening a door to see what looked like a suite.

"You and your boys can stay here. There are three rooms and two bathrooms, a small den, and a balcony." I used my ability to get the information on the room.

"Thank you so much." Shinjuro said earnestly.

I nodded, watching as he went into a room with Rengoku. I followed suit, walking through a different doorway and placing Senjuro down onto the comfortable twin mattress. As I went to pull away, his small hand held on tightly to my arm sleeve.

"No..." He whimpered in his sleep. "Please don't leave..."

My eyes softened, leaning down and peppering his face with light kisses until he relaxed enough to release me. "...I won't let anyone hurt you ever again."